Lower SPM

Not sure where you should be posting? Put it here.
Glen Lake Crew
Paddler

Lower SPM

Post by Glen Lake Crew » January 12th, 2007, 11:47 am

Okay, okay, okay. I've been erging for over ten years, now (got hooked in college). I'm not competitive and I don't push myself toward lower and lower 2K times. In fact, I have no idea how fast I could erg 2K. I've never tried it. I've been happy with my 20 minute, 4K workout for years. I guess saying I'm a creature of habit and routine is an understatement.

I'm not very vocal on these forums, but I've read some posts over the years about strokes per minute and I've seen comments about keeping them lower than I tend to.

I'm also a cyclist, commuting to work year-round on my bike and doing at least one week-long tour every year. Now, because the cycling came first, it impacts my erging. I've always been a "spinner" on the erg just like on the bike.

This week, I finally made a conscious effort to lower my SPM. I went from 27-29 SPM down to 24-25 SPM. My /500 split dropped ten seconds and I didn't feel I'd worked any harder than I normally do. In fact, I'd say I could've gone longer or pushed harder.

So, fine. You know, just . . . fine. Maybe I don't know everything I need to know about erging. Maybe I can learn a few things. I'll stick around and see what else I don't know.
"I didn't mind so much getting caught in it. But I did resent having to row uphill to get out." -- Robert Godfrey, self-appointed president for life of the Old Sow Whirlpool Survivors' Association

PaulS
10k Poster

Re: Lower SPM

Post by PaulS » January 12th, 2007, 2:51 pm

Glen Lake Crew wrote:Okay, okay, okay. I've been erging for over ten years, now (got hooked in college). I'm not competitive and I don't push myself toward lower and lower 2K times. In fact, I have no idea how fast I could erg 2K. I've never tried it. I've been happy with my 20 minute, 4K workout for years. I guess saying I'm a creature of habit and routine is an understatement.

I'm not very vocal on these forums, but I've read some posts over the years about strokes per minute and I've seen comments about keeping them lower than I tend to.

I'm also a cyclist, commuting to work year-round on my bike and doing at least one week-long tour every year. Now, because the cycling came first, it impacts my erging. I've always been a "spinner" on the erg just like on the bike.

This week, I finally made a conscious effort to lower my SPM. I went from 27-29 SPM down to 24-25 SPM. My /500 split dropped ten seconds and I didn't feel I'd worked any harder than I normally do. In fact, I'd say I could've gone longer or pushed harder.

So, fine. You know, just . . . fine. Maybe I don't know everything I need to know about erging. Maybe I can learn a few things. I'll stick around and see what else I don't know.
You've been doing a lot of recoveries that do work your body but don't get accounted for on the PM, by opening up the ratio (lowering the rate), you get more rest between drives and take less strokes overall, not to mention the reduction in the number of minutes to complete 4k, or I guess go farther in the 20 minutes, but all the while having to do 60-100 less repetitions.

Happy exploring!
Erg on,
Paul Smith
www.ps-sport.net Your source for Useful Rowing Accessories and Training Assistance.
"If you don't want to know the answer, don't ask me the question."

Bob S.
Marathon Poster

Post by Bob S. » January 12th, 2007, 8:12 pm

Glen Lake Crew wrote: I'm also a cyclist, commuting to work year-round on my bike and doing at least one week-long tour every year. Now, because the cycling came first, it impacts my erging. I've always been a "spinner" on the erg just like on the bike.
"On the erg just like on the bike" just does not cut it. The only thing that "spins" on the erg is the wheel. Pedaling a bike is a continuous spinning motion. Rowing a boat or pulling the handle of an erg involves two distinctly separate movements, which makes it very different indeed. Generally the main key to lowering rates is taking longer recovery times.

One interesting boat drill (I have never seen it done on an erg.) is the pause drill in which the rower stops as soon as the hands are well away and just sits there coasting along for a time before completing the recovery and starting the next drive. A well balanced single sculler can hold a pause like that for at least a minute. I wish I could say that I had been able to do it for 30 seconds, but I never could. In a boat this drill is obviously intended for balance training and has no value on the erg. However, it might be worth while to slow down those who are always in a hurry to get to the next catch. I don't know. I just count out the seconds, one for the drive and hands away and any where for 1 to 4 for rest of the recovery depending on whether I want to row at 30, 20, 15, or 12 strokes per minute. For the intermediate rates, like 18, 22, or 24, I watch the PM clock. For 25-29, I check the rate reading. At higher rates, I have to go by feel, but I usually don't "feel" like doing them at all.

Bob S.

johnlvs2run
Half Marathon Poster

Post by johnlvs2run » January 13th, 2007, 11:41 am

Glen Lake Crew wrote:I'm also a cyclist, commuting to work year-round on my bike and doing at least one week-long tour every year. Now, because the cycling came first, it impacts my erging. I've always been a "spinner" on the erg just like on the bike.

I'm primarily a runner, though cycled now and then a few years ago. My favorite was climbing and spinning up long hills. My usual rate for spinning was 96 to 102, and I could leave those far behind who would otherwise trash me on the flats. Interestingly their rates on the hills were lower than mine. One time that we were climbing a steeper long hill with 15-20 percent grades I was varying standing and sitting. People kept falling off the back except one fellow riding beside me who looked quite comfortable and was sitting the whole time, where I was breathing like a steam engine and standing most of the time. I commented, "you're not even breathing hard!". He replied, "but my legs are like mud", and he promptly fell back a few seconds later.

Personally I think it's much the same on the erg. I have experimented with all ratings and found the higher ones to be faster for me. However, all rates individually take some practice, and the higher ones take more coordination and practice than low ones. When you can go faster at low rates it simply means your coordination is not as well developed at the higher ratings, the lower ones being easier to focus on and develop.

I think it is fine to practice the low ratings, and develop them to the upmost and, like on the bicycle, there is good benefit to doing the same with the higher ratings as well.
bikeerg 75 5'8" 155# - 18.5 - 51.9 - 568 - 1:52.7 - 8:03.8 - 20:13.1 - 14620 - 40:58.7 - 28855 - 1:23:48.0
rowerg 56-58 5'8.5" 143# - 1:39.6 - 3:35.6 - 7:24.0 - 18:57.4 - 22:49.9 - 7793 - 38:44.7 - 1:22:48.9 - 2:58:46.2

treeman
Paddler

Post by treeman » January 15th, 2007, 4:36 pm

oh no my first post!!!!

hi all.

when i drop my spm i find that i concentrate better on my form.

trailrunner
Paddler

Post by trailrunner » January 17th, 2007, 7:56 am

Trust me, I am no authority in this but I think the lower strokes/min on the erg is more efficient because you put less energy into changing the direction of a big reciprocating mass (your body). The additional benefit is developement of a strong, powerful stroke. That is my guess.

One other thing, if I compare my output on a bike erg vs output on rowing erg, the bike mode will produce higher wattage into the measurng system. It think this is due to less waste (spinning a crank continuously) even though less muscle groups are used. (Remember, I'm a jack of all trades, not a dedicated rower) . I'd be curious to see if others have noticed this.
M 48 5'6" 65 kg ** 2k/7:11 ** 5k/tbd ** 10k/38:29 ** HM/tbd

hjs
Marathon Poster

Post by hjs » January 17th, 2007, 8:52 am

trailrunner wrote:Trust me, I am no authority in this but I think the lower strokes/min on the erg is more efficient because you put less energy into changing the direction of a big reciprocating mass (your body). The additional benefit is developement of a strong, powerful stroke. That is my guess.

One other thing, if I compare my output on a bike erg vs output on rowing erg, the bike mode will produce higher wattage into the measurng system. It think this is due to less waste (spinning a crank continuously) even though less muscle groups are used. (Remember, I'm a jack of all trades, not a dedicated rower) . I'd be curious to see if others have noticed this.
Most beginners who use a high spm don,t finish the stroke. Instead of waiting for the hands to fully come back they start bending there legs already before they hands/arms are done.
The result of this is a very weak stroke. If you fix this, and first finish the hole stroke before you start he next one you immediate have a much stronger stroke.
If you train in a gym, by far most of the users use that wrong technique. This is also the reason that many people say. That rowing machine doesn,t do much it is way to easy.

The bike/row comparison is a bit different. Although you keep the wheel spinning on the bike for the hole time you r are also only using your legs. On the rower you compensate the recovery break by using more musles.
I myself am able to row at a much higher wattage then I am able to bike.