Appetite comparison - 10K and 60min

Rowing for weight loss or weight control? Start here.
cityeast
Paddler

Post by cityeast » December 29th, 2006, 12:36 pm

Currently I am getting back into C2 rowing after a long on/off break (running and cycling primarily in this time). As I am in weight loss mode my primary rows are 10K and 60 min.

Now a 10K at 1.59 average gives leaves me with a killer appetite. But if I do 2:02 average whilst the Big Hand does a full circle, then I have pretty much lost my appetite. Effort level is pretty much the same, with the last 10-15 minutes over the 170 HR level on both rows.

Anyone else experience this? Anyone know why?

For this reason I would love to do 60 minutes all the time, but I don't always have the time to spare, or the frame of mind to do it.

johnlvs2run
Half Marathon Poster

Post by johnlvs2run » December 29th, 2006, 12:55 pm

The difference is your amount of pace rowing over distance.

The more you row those paces for an hour, the more you will get used to it.

Then your pace for 10k and 1 hour will be closer.

cityeast
Paddler

Post by cityeast » December 29th, 2006, 1:52 pm

Yeah I agree, but its not the appetite for rowing I am talking about, but the "hungry..need food" gastronomical appetite. After a 40 min row I am starving, after 60min similar intensity I not interested in food.

What gives?

johnlvs2run
Half Marathon Poster

Post by johnlvs2run » December 29th, 2006, 2:11 pm

I don't know but that's an interesting observation, i.e. 60 minute fast paced rows good for weight loss.

What percentage of your PB pace are they?

cityeast
Paddler

Post by cityeast » December 29th, 2006, 2:35 pm

Percentages, geee that would involve too much mathematics for my brain.

Right now my PB is 39:45 10K and 14820 for 1 hour. My all time PB 10K is 37:55.6 and 60 min 15'595. But those were almost two years ago when I first got my C2 D. I improved rapidly then, I think mainly because I was mixing weights with C2. Right now I am almost entirely doing C2 because of the weather and lack of a gym, so the improvements are much, much slower. I wish I could get back to a gym. :(

Yakky Doodle
Paddler

Post by Yakky Doodle » January 5th, 2007, 12:38 pm

Wild ass guess here ... "Burn rate"? The hunger sensation is often due to a sharp drop in blood sugar levels. The sharper the drop, *usually* the greater the sensation of hunger. So maybe the 40 min row is burning off the available "fuel" in a more pronounced manner, creating the feeling of hunger. The 60 minute row could be setting up a slower, more gradual "burn", which won't kick off that "someone barbeque me a mastadon, cuz I'm HUNGRY" feeling. <shrugs> Just a shot in the dark though.

stargazertechie
500m Poster

Post by stargazertechie » January 18th, 2007, 11:10 am

I can't eat after I erg... ever. I can pull a 10k, I can pull a 20 minute test, a 2k race, or a 75 minut piece... and I can't ever finish more than a granola bar after... it takes me about an hour to gain my appetite back.
perfer et obdura; dolor hic tibi: Be patient and tough; some day this pain will be useful to you.

DavidA
10k Poster

Post by DavidA » January 18th, 2007, 4:55 pm

I'm similar - after erging I want some drinks, water or orange juice, but not anything to eat.

David
63 y / 70 kg / 172 cm / 5 kids / 17 grandkids :)
Received my model C erg 18-Dec-1994
my log

Rowinatl
Paddler

Post by Rowinatl » January 20th, 2007, 7:30 pm

Perhaps a medical expert can weigh-in (no pun intended, ok, pun intended). I think it has to do with endorphins. 40-45 minutes seems to be about when they hit for me whether I am erging, running, cycling, etc. Once I break through the 40-45 barrier, I start to feel better, breath easier, etc. and feel like I can last forever. I suspect the endorphins also mess with hunger receptors in some way. After a long erg session, I too feel less hungry; although, a half hour or so later I find myself searching the fridge, cabinet, and sofa cushions for something to eat. The hunger feelings may be different, but the need for fuel ultimately is the same.

Could I be on to something?

fugitive
Paddler

Weght loss and 10K

Post by fugitive » March 21st, 2007, 3:15 am

I have been rowing for two months now and have clocked 350K averaging between 10 and 12K a session.
I had glucose intolerance and since I have been rowing and sticking to a low GI diet have lost 10KG and sugar blood levels are now normal. The hunger you experience is probably due to too many carbs in your diet. Go for protein and low GI stuff and you feel fuller for longer.
Anyway hope that info helps
Cheers from downunder.

yehster
500m Poster

Post by yehster » March 22nd, 2007, 11:44 pm

From a quick pubmed search
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/quer ... med_docsum
Link includes some related articles
J Appl Physiol. 2007 Mar 8;
Exercise induced suppression of acylated ghrelin in humans.

* Broom DR,
* Stensel DJ,
* Bishop NC,
* Burns SF,
* Miyashita M.

School of Sport and Exercise Sciences, Loughborough University, Loughborough, Leicestershire, United Kingdom.

Ghrelin is an orexigenic hormone secreted from endocrine cells in the stomach and other tissues. Acylation of ghrelin is essential for appetite regulation. Vigorous exercise induces appetite suppression but this does not appear to be related to suppressed concentrations of total ghrelin. This study examined the effect of exercise and feeding on plasma acylated ghrelin and appetite. Nine males aged 19 to 25 y participated in two, 9-h trials (exercise and control) in a random crossover design. Trials began at 08:00 h in the morning after an overnight fast. On the exercise trial subjects ran for 60 min at 72% of maximum oxygen uptake between 08:00 and 09:00 h. After this, they rested for 8 h and consumed a test meal at 11:00 h. On the control trial subjects rested for 9 h and consumed a test meal at 11:00 h. Area under the curve values for plasma acylated ghrelin concentration (assessed from venous blood samples) were lower over the first three hours and the full nine hours of the exercise trial compared with the control trial: 317 +/- 135 versus 510 +/- 186 pg.mL(-1).3 h and 917 +/- 342 versus 1401 +/- 521 pg.mL(-1).9 h (mean +/- SEM) respectively (P <0.05). Area under the curve values for hunger (assessed using a visual scale) were lower over the first three hours of the exercise trial compared with the control trial (P = 0.013). These findings demonstrate that plasma acylated ghrelin concentration and hunger are suppressed during running. Key words: running, appetite, hunger.