What do you do for a warmup?

General discussion on Training. How to get better on your erg, how to use your erg to get better at another sport, or anything else about improving your abilities.
Music2004Man
Paddler

What do you do for a warmup?

Post by Music2004Man » September 10th, 2006, 11:11 am

I'm just curious what everyone does as a warmup before you row? Which types of stretches are you going to do and are you rowing a couple of minutes at an easy pace before you get going? Does the warmup vary based on what type of rowing you will be doing that day? Help is greatly appreciated. Thank you for your time.

Scott

hermannjp
Paddler

Post by hermannjp » September 10th, 2006, 1:12 pm

Hello there, I am not an expert of any sort, but I have been indoor rowing for quite a while now and have a structured format of a workout I do.

On a fundamental level, the 'warm up' consists of what yourself feels prepares your body. It differs from the type of workout you will be doing, ie if doing high intensity workout, a longer warm up is recommended to get your systems going.

Experts like Mike Caviston also suggests to warm up until you are 'sweating' and feeling tired as if you feel you have no energy left for the workout you'll be doing after warm up. From his experience, that way, the optimum results were achieved. And from my personal viewpoint, I concur with him, that is also based on my personal experience.

On the Concept2 Training Guide, available to download from Manuals and Schematics section of concept2.com, I think there are advices on how long one should spend on warming up.

Essentially, the warm up should be tailored to your needs. What you feel is right. It is customary for those who follow a structured format, to set a distance, say 1000-2000m or time, 5-10min, depending on the workout type*high or low intensity, interval or endurance.

I hope what little knowledge I have to share has helped you a little and I wish you all the luck with your training.

Herman

PS there are recommended stretches in the Training Guide and also on concept2.co.uk in the training guide section. But personally, I don't do and wouldn't recommend stretching before any workout. According to latest researches, injuries occur easily with stretched muscles than muscles that were not stretched. However, if you feel there is sufficient tension in your arms or back to cause you any discomfort, it may be a good idea to stretch once in a while, but not always is the point.

julieofarc
Paddler

Post by julieofarc » September 10th, 2006, 6:39 pm

I tend to revert to our OTW warm-up format. In case you're not familiar with that, it tends to be (some variation of the below, depending on your coach):

10-20 strokes each:
arms only
arms and back/body
1/4 slide
1/2 slide
3/4 slide
full slide

Then I tend to row full slide at a 16 for a bit, 18 for a bit, 20 for a bit. I throw in some power 10's (same rating, just more power through the drive), and finish up.

I tend to do the bulk of my erg work in the Wolverine L4/ UT2 range, so I don't warm-up more than about 10 min. because the workouts are low intensity. Higher intensity workouts require longer warm-ups.

Like Herman said, Mike has lots of suggestions for how to warm-up in relation to your workout. You will have to make yourself get properly warmed up for higher stuff, since the warm-up seems ridiculously long. However, I know there is truth to that, and I hope to see improvement in my 4K erg test stuff next month for that reason. I was commenting via email on which 500 meter splits I really struggled with, and a coach chimed in that it because I wasn't properly warmed up. I'll fix that next time.....

As far as stretching, I stretch after my workouts. I think the more recent research has shown that stretching before doesn't really help much with injury prevention or muscle soreness. So I make sure I stretch out really well afterwards. :)

Julie

Music2004Man
Paddler

Post by Music2004Man » September 10th, 2006, 7:15 pm

I just wanted to thank Herman and Julie. I look forward to incorporating those warmup ideas into what I am doing before (and after) I row.

billw
Paddler

warmup

Post by billw » September 10th, 2006, 11:15 pm

Hello,

I do either 1k or 2k at 2:30 and 20spm

Easy and steady HR is approx 2x resting

Bill