Thoughts on tall vs. standard legs--

Maintenance, accessories, operation. Anything to do with making your erg work.
wme1221
Paddler

Thoughts on tall vs. standard legs--

Post by wme1221 » August 17th, 2024, 9:07 am

I'm probably buying a RowErg for a home gym at my home-away-from-home, and I'm torn between tall and standard legs. I can still use the standard-height C2's at my regular gym, but I'm 65 and have mobility issues--don't know that it'll be that way forever. I'm hoping that whatever I buy will last awhile. Thoughts?

Annisotropic
Paddler

Re: Thoughts on tall vs. standard legs--

Post by Annisotropic » August 18th, 2024, 8:29 pm

I bought my erg second-hand, it happens to be a model E ie long legs; it was the only one available locally when I was looking. I'm 61, no mobility issues, and not especially tall (176cm), but I love the extra height. I'd say that if you can afford it, go for the long legs. If budget is a consideration and you need to opt for the standard legs, then I don't see why the erg couldn't be set up and anchored on robust blocks/boxes at each end?

Carl Watts
Marathon Poster

Post by Carl Watts » August 18th, 2024, 9:28 pm

Go for the Model E if I was you.

If you are younger and putting out way more power get the short legs on the standard Model D.
Carl Watts.
Concept 2 Monitor Service Technician & indoor rower.
http://log.concept2.com/profile/863525/log

Ombrax
10k Poster

Post by Ombrax » August 19th, 2024, 12:04 am

wme1221 wrote:
August 17th, 2024, 9:07 am
but I'm 65 and have mobility issues--don't know that it'll be that way forever.
I"m three years younger than you, with no significant mobility issues. My Model C at home has the short legs, but the rower I use most is a Model E at the gym at work (w/ long legs) so I'm familiar with both. My thoughts are that if someone is in good enough shape to be a regular rower with reasonable times, then there is almost certainly not a need for the longer legs. Yes, it's a bit easier to sit and stand using the higher seat, but that pales in comparison to what it takes to have a good, hard workout.

I'd say get either one. Good Luck

MPx
10k Poster

Post by MPx » August 19th, 2024, 6:12 am

Simply a budget issue. You dont need to spend the extra, but if you do it will be more future proof...but you may never need it to be. If the difference isn't too material to you then get the long legs. If it is then buy a standard one and recognise that you may need to invest in a set of long legs in the future. C2 have a convincing record of keeping spares for every generation of erg for ever so very little risk that they wouldn't be availabe if/when you need them.
Mike - 67 HWT 183

iain
10k Poster

Post by iain » August 19th, 2024, 6:26 am

It also depends on storage requirements as tall legs occupy more space disassembled than short ones.
56, lightweight in pace and by gravity. Currently training 3-4 times a week after a break to slowly regain the pitiful fitness I achieved a few years ago. Free Spirit, come join us http://www.freespiritsrowing.com/forum/

gvcormac
6k Poster

Post by gvcormac » August 19th, 2024, 11:53 am

iain wrote:
August 19th, 2024, 6:26 am
It also depends on storage requirements as tall legs occupy more space disassembled than short ones.
Yes. And less portable, especially if you want to put it in your car.

Also, the PM arm doesn't fold on the E. (Not an issue with the long-leg RowErg).

hikeplusrow
2k Poster

Post by hikeplusrow » August 19th, 2024, 3:20 pm

Unless you absolutely need long legs, I'd go for the standard machine for the reasons already given. When I bought mine back in 2022, I wanted to capitalise on the C2 being great value for money. By definition, that meant buying the standard machine.