Rowing with a shoulder bursitis

General discussions about getting and staying fit that don't relate directly to your indoor rower
robhely
1k Poster

Re: Rowing with a shoulder bursitis

Post by robhely » May 22nd, 2023, 6:45 pm

iain wrote:
May 22nd, 2023, 10:03 am
the bigger issue is what level of training can be maintained before the health benefits have to be sacrificed for performance?
It's a very interesting question, for the majority of us who are rowing for health and fitness, perhaps the training programs we're on are not ultimately aligned with health and longevity?

There is a lot of research that supports the health benefits of interval training across a range of disciplines and they all advocate going pretty hard over the short bursts. Some studies have even proposed that we might be wasting our time on longer, low intensity sessions.
M/53/179cm/74.8kg
started rowing late 2022

PBs
1k: 3:26.2
2k: 7:09.9
5k: 18:46.0
30min: 7,847m
10k: 38:57.0
60min: 15,060m
HM: 1:26:14.1

iain
10k Poster

Post by iain » May 23rd, 2023, 4:05 am

robhely wrote:
May 22nd, 2023, 6:45 pm
There is a lot of research that supports the health benefits of interval training across a range of disciplines and they all advocate going pretty hard over the short bursts. Some studies have even proposed that we might be wasting our time on longer, low intensity sessions.
I do think that the importance of the exercises conducted and cohort examined are essential to answering the question. 55-70% HRMax as advocated by some of the long slow advocates for me a range I see when walking briskly. before a tough erg session I am halfway up this before pulling the handle and estimate that I would be at 5k + 35S or so at the top end (maybe 50% of threshold power). I suspect that this would be more typical of the average person than the low rates seen in many on this forum. Indeed, the fact that my RHR is around 30% of HRmax possibly means that the average person would need to exercise at a lower relative intensity! Add that it is easier to exercise on a bike at low intensity than on a rower, and I think results for cyclists showing limited benefits from exercising in this zone for average people may not be relevant to people rowing who are on this forum!

Interested to see the papers concerned 'though as I am making far too many assumptions here!
56, lightweight in pace and by gravity. Currently training 3-4 times a week after a break to slowly regain the pitiful fitness I achieved a few years ago. Free Spirit, come join us http://www.freespiritsrowing.com/forum/

mementobeansbeef
Paddler

Post by mementobeansbeef » August 2nd, 2023, 1:52 pm

Make sure you warm up those muscles real good before getting on that rowing machine. And don't forget to use proper form, because that's the key to prevent any gnarly bursitis.