From The Pit At 5am

read only section for reference and search purposes.
[old] george nz

Training

Post by [old] george nz » October 11th, 2005, 4:42 pm

Last week was luxury, I was on holiday and could wander down to the gym between 9 and 10am to do my training. This week, back at work and the choices are somewhat diminished .... this morning at 5am I was having my internal debate as to whether a sane person would get out of bed to wander down the road and sit on an erg (of course the answer to both was no).<br /><br />So I moved past that debate to the merits of different options:<br /><br /><b>5:30am</b><br /><b>Pros:</b><br />Training is done for the day<br />It doesnt interfere with the home life (important to me)<br /><b>Cons:</b><br />I only get max 6 hours sleep<br />Knowing I have to get up my sleep is unsettled - (both these are not ideal for recovery)<br />Energy levels and hydration is low - (to eat before hand is not practical)<br />Cold wet mornings, not good<br />Concern about running overtime is distracting - (family commitments)<br /><br /><b>5:30pm</b> - after work<br /><b>Pros:</b><br />Energy levels generally good - (eating and drinking managed)<br />I am awake<br />I am focused<br />View is nicer at the gym<br />Home, shower, nice meal afterwards - (relaxed)<br />Better nights sleep means better recovery<br />Less time pressures<br /><b>Cons:</b><br />Events during the day can conspire to interfere with the plan to train<br />Can be to tired<br />Can be to 'cant be bothered'<br />Delays homecoming<br /><br /><b>8:30/9:00pm</b><br /><b>Pros:</b><br />Gym quiet<br />Dinner and dishes done<br />Dont waste my life in front of the TV<br />Energy levels ok<br />Sleep well afterwards<br /><b>Cons:</b><br />Cant be bothered at the end of the day<br />Not a lot of time since eating<br />Energy levels - may be tired<br />Family commitments can interfere<br />Family commitments can be an excuse<br /><br />yada yada yada .... on and on the debate rages, but I didnt get out of bed and I will try and go this evening (probably at 5:30) and ultimately a compromise will be found where in summer when it is hot the early morning is an option and in winter something a bit later in the day.<br /><br />George

[old] Old Colonist

Training

Post by [old] Old Colonist » October 11th, 2005, 7:23 pm

<!--QuoteBegin-george nz+Oct 11 2005, 04:42 PM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(george nz @ Oct 11 2005, 04:42 PM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin--><br /><br />yada yada yada .... on and on the debate rages, but I didnt get out of bed and I will try and go this evening (probably at 5:30) and ultimately a compromise will be found where in summer when it is hot the early morning is an option and in winter something a bit later in the day.<br /><br />George <br /> </td></tr></table><br /><br /><br /><br />George,<br />It sounds like it's time to bite the bullet and get a rower of your own. Then there really are no excuses! OC<br /><br />

[old] razorfizh

Training

Post by [old] razorfizh » October 12th, 2005, 1:20 am

<!--QuoteBegin-george nz+Oct 11 2005, 01:42 PM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(george nz @ Oct 11 2005, 01:42 PM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin--><br />So I moved past that debate to the merits of different options:<br /> <br /> </td></tr></table><br /><br />George, your pros/cons are so convincing, almost makes me want to take the day off too.

[old] george nz

Training

Post by [old] george nz » October 12th, 2005, 2:28 am

<!--QuoteBegin-razorfizh+Oct 12 2005, 06:20 PM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(razorfizh @ Oct 12 2005, 06:20 PM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin--><!--QuoteBegin-george nz+Oct 11 2005, 01:42 PM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(george nz @ Oct 11 2005, 01:42 PM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin--><br />So I moved past that debate to the merits of different options:<br /> <br /> </td></tr></table><br /><br />George, your pros/cons are so convincing, almost makes me want to take the day off too. <br /> </td></tr></table><br /><br />Decided to train after work - late getting away from the office, then stuck in traffic, then we had to eat early as people were going out, ate to much .... game set and match over..... of to have a gin<br /><br />Will be up early tomorrow <br />

[old] NightRower

Training

Post by [old] NightRower » October 12th, 2005, 6:04 am

On days I work (I am lucky, only work 3 to 4 days a week, 12 hour shifts) I try to row on at least 2 of them. Otherwise I prefer to row on an almost empty stomach. In the morning after work (work nights) I usually do a shorter row. When I got my rower it came with some flyers, one of them was kind of a "just do it" motivational add. It showed people from 15 to over 90 and their times and it was kind of just row. I used that as motivation. I would like to be the top of the 80 yr old division, and I am not 80! <br /><br />Darren

[old] Andrew Burrows

Training

Post by [old] Andrew Burrows » October 12th, 2005, 10:13 am

George, it really does sound like its time to buy your own erg, tell the other half you will be able to spend more quality time with her if you had your own erg, it worked for me. She has since learnt what it actually means is that instead or training every other day like I used to when I went to the gym I now train 6 days a week but she is used to it now even if not entirely happy with it.<br /><br />Beware though, when I got my own erg I used to get up at 6:30am and train before work a couple of times a week, now I cant even remember the last time I got up at that time to train, the novelty wore off and all my sessions are at about 6:30pm when I get in from work now.

[old] RowedandRode

Training

Post by [old] RowedandRode » October 14th, 2005, 8:52 am

Forget the gym. Buy yourself an erg, put it in front of the telly, and row first thing in the morning. <br /><br />By doing so, you will have eliminated all the ways you can talk yourself out of it later in the day. If you wait all day, stuff always happens and then you find excuses to say "I didn't get around to it". Do it first thing, and you'll start your day off having done right by yourself - and you boost your metabolism too, adding more energy to your whole day to follow. <br /><br />If you have your own erg, you can always double up your workouts on some days with a minimum of fuss.<br /><br />If you are very consistent and do your workout each morning at the same time, you'll sleep like a baby and then just naturally wake up at 4.30. It takes time to adjust, but then it becomes "your time" and you'll just settle into the ritual.<br /><br />That's my experience, anyway...<br />

[old] arakawa

Training

Post by [old] arakawa » October 14th, 2005, 11:29 am

<!--QuoteBegin-RowedandRode+Oct 14 2005, 08:52 AM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(RowedandRode @ Oct 14 2005, 08:52 AM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin-->Forget the gym. Buy yourself an erg, put it in front of the telly, and row first thing in the morning. <br /><br />By doing so, you will have eliminated all the ways you can talk yourself out of it later in the day. If you wait all day, stuff always happens and then you find excuses to say "I didn't get around to it". Do it first thing, and you'll start your day off having done right by yourself - and you boost your metabolism too, adding more energy to your whole day to follow. <br /><br />If you have your own erg, you can always double up your workouts on some days with a minimum of fuss.<br /><br />If you are very consistent and do your workout each morning at the same time, you'll sleep like a baby and then just naturally wake up at 4.30. It takes time to adjust, but then it becomes "your time" and you'll just settle into the ritual.<br /><br />That's my experience, anyway...[right] </td></tr></table><br />Seconded. I own my Model C, get up at 4:00 am to eat breakfast, give myself an hour to digest and read the paper on-line, then row at 5:00 am. I've also rowed in the evening an hour or so after dinner a couple of times recently as well.<br /><br />I don't mean to preach, but it's basically a matter of making your choices. Would you rather spend the $850 plus shipping on gym memberships and hope that an/the erg is free, or row at home? Would you rather stay up until 11:30 pm or have time to row in the morning? I get to sleep at 10:00 pm, giving me six hours of sleep, but I sleep very soundly ("People who sleep like a baby usually don't have one." - Leo J. Burke).

[old] jfisher

Training

Post by [old] jfisher » October 14th, 2005, 12:30 pm

<!--QuoteBegin-arakawa+Oct 14 2005, 11:29 AM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(arakawa @ Oct 14 2005, 11:29 AM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin--> ("People who sleep like a baby usually don't have one." - Leo J. Burke). <br /> </td></tr></table><br /><br />LOL! Man isn't that the truth. I've never been the same since the kids arrived. Even now after they're half grown I still sleep light.<br /><br />Jeff

[old] DavidA

Training

Post by [old] DavidA » October 14th, 2005, 2:51 pm

Didn't change me I still sleep very soundly. Fortunately my wife is a light sleeper.<br />(When my oldest was a baby my wife was a first year intern, and so didn't even come home every 3rd or 4th night, and my poor baby would be soaked in tears by the time her crying finally woke me up )<br /><br />David

[old] george nz

Training

Post by [old] george nz » October 14th, 2005, 3:30 pm

<!--QuoteBegin-arakawa+Oct 15 2005, 04:29 AM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(arakawa @ Oct 15 2005, 04:29 AM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin-->I don't mean to preach, but it's basically a matter of making your choices. Would you rather spend the $850 plus shipping on gym memberships  and hope that an/the erg is free, or row at home? <br /> </td></tr></table><br /><br />My current membership cost me a $1000 for 3 years, which still has till next march to run (and I should be able to repeat). The gym has 6 ergs, never had to wait, and they are in reasonable condition. The gym is 5 minutes walk from home, is friendly without being overly social, large, and fully equpped with free weights and machines (hence lots of choices for cross training). For that $1000 I could not even get a 2nd hand erg in good condition here and I have looked.<br /><br />The option that you propose is not as clear cut as it sounds <br /><br />George

[old] Cran

Training

Post by [old] Cran » October 14th, 2005, 4:08 pm

just do all 3

[old] george nz

Training

Post by [old] george nz » October 14th, 2005, 6:22 pm

I like your attitude Cran

[old] seat5

Training

Post by [old] seat5 » October 14th, 2005, 6:45 pm

<!--QuoteBegin-jfisher+Oct 14 2005, 04:30 PM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(jfisher @ Oct 14 2005, 04:30 PM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin--><!--QuoteBegin-arakawa+Oct 14 2005, 11:29 AM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(arakawa @ Oct 14 2005, 11:29 AM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin--> ("People who sleep like a baby usually don't have one." - Leo J. Burke). <br /> </td></tr></table><br /><br />LOL! Man isn't that the truth. I've never been the same since the kids arrived. Even now after they're half grown I still sleep light.<br /><br />Jeff <br /> </td></tr></table><br />Sleep like a baby....you mean, wake up every few hours crying?

[old] fergie

Training

Post by [old] fergie » October 19th, 2005, 5:27 am

hey George.<br />I'm in a similar position, except that teh gym is a 10minute drive, and i go to skool - don't work.<br />ANyway, i've decided to hire a C2 for 4 months (leading up to the Crash Bs which i Hope to go to!)<br />gonan cost me $87 a month (school rates)<br />BUt have you checked Trademe?<br />Can get a used model c for $1800 - <a href='http://www.trademe.co.nz/Sports/Exercis ... 351962.htm' target='_blank'>http://www.trademe.co.nz/Sports/Exercis ... htm</a><br />otherwise the Model D's (new) go for $2100<br /><br />cheers