Generate Wolverine Workouts, New Software

read only section for reference and search purposes.
[old] GalleySlave

Training

Post by [old] GalleySlave » June 10th, 2005, 6:04 am

Continued from [Generate Folvering Workouts, New Software] thread since I spelt the title incorrectly and cannot change it!<br /><br />to Recap:<br /><br />there is some software on <a href='http://www.galleys.org/rowing' target='_blank'>www.galleys.org/rowing</a> that allows the creation of wolverine workouts based on your 2k time as an html file, a set of ErgMon workout files, or as a set of custom row pieces in your RowPro rowing database.<br /><br /><br />Chris

[old] tomraven

Training

Post by [old] tomraven » June 15th, 2005, 3:17 am

Hi Chris<br /><br />I have downloaded the Wolverine Generator and installed it, but there are no instructions.<br /><br />What type of files does it generate. It looks like it generates files that are in the Row Pro directory. Does Row Pro read the files?<br /><br />Regards<br /><br />Tom

[old] tomraven

Training

Post by [old] tomraven » June 15th, 2005, 3:21 am

Hi Chris<br /><br />No worries. I have found the workouts in Row Pro.<br /><br />Thanks for the effort of making this available.<br /><br />Cheers<br /><br />Tom<br />

[old] GalleySlave

Training

Post by [old] GalleySlave » June 15th, 2005, 10:19 am

The instructions are on the download page of the website - I will review these and add a bit more to them as they are light!<br /><br />I hope you find it useful.<br /><br />Chris

[old] jok3r

Training

Post by [old] jok3r » June 23rd, 2005, 6:52 am

Hi there Chris,<br /><br />I was wondering if there were any software available like RowPro but not so advanced - I am not to interested in seeing the littel dude row or a pace boat. I am how ever interested in getting the data from the Rower while I row stored on my Computer rather than on the smart card.<br /><br />You know of something?<br /><br />Regards<br />Chris <--- Ye I know.

[old] GalleySlave

Training

Post by [old] GalleySlave » June 26th, 2005, 8:01 am

<!--QuoteBegin-jok3r+Jun 23 2005, 11:52 AM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(jok3r @ Jun 23 2005, 11:52 AM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin-->Hi there Chris,<br /><br />I was wondering if there were any software available like RowPro but not so advanced - I am not to interested in seeing the littel dude row or a pace boat. I am how ever interested in getting the data from the Rower while I row stored on my Computer rather than on the smart card.<br /><br />You know of something?<br /><br />Regards<br />Chris  <--- Ye I know. <br /> </td></tr></table><br />It depends on how much data...<br />ErgMonitor will provide a power plot of your whole stroke (via a connector you plug the C2 directly into the mic in plug on your PC bypassing the PMx monitor) - wlthough you can connect both computer and PMx at the same time.<br />Excellent for analysing whether your legs are too weak etc, and how consistent your stroke is. Yuo can set up sessions with different characteristics.<br />have a look at <a href='http://www.ps-sport.net' target='_blank'>Erg Monitor (www.ps-sport.net)</a>.<br />Failing that why not just use eRow that comes with the C2 (or does this not work with the Model D which I assume you have).<br /><br />There is an open source version floating around somewhere - I will post the link if I can find it.<br /><br />Chris

[old] jok3r

Training

Post by [old] jok3r » August 12th, 2005, 1:12 pm

<!--QuoteBegin-GalleySlave+Jun 26 2005, 07:01 AM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(GalleySlave @ Jun 26 2005, 07:01 AM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin--><!--QuoteBegin-jok3r+Jun 23 2005, 11:52 AM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(jok3r @ Jun 23 2005, 11:52 AM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin-->Hi there Chris,<br /><br />I was wondering if there were any software available like RowPro but not so advanced - I am not to interested in seeing the littel dude row or a pace boat. I am how ever interested in getting the data from the Rower while I row stored on my Computer rather than on the smart card.<br /><br />You know of something?<br /><br />Regards<br />Chris  <--- Ye I know. <br /> </td></tr></table><br />It depends on how much data...<br />ErgMonitor will provide a power plot of your whole stroke (via a connector you plug the C2 directly into the mic in plug on your PC bypassing the PMx monitor) - wlthough you can connect both computer and PMx at the same time.<br />Excellent for analysing whether your legs are too weak etc, and how consistent your stroke is. Yuo can set up sessions with different characteristics.<br />have a look at <a href='http://www.ps-sport.net' target='_blank'>Erg Monitor (www.ps-sport.net)</a>.<br />Failing that why not just use eRow that comes with the C2 (or does this not work with the Model D which I assume you have).<br /><br />There is an open source version floating around somewhere - I will post the link if I can find it.<br /><br />Chris <br /> </td></tr></table><br /><br /><br />I have the C2. The open Source would be nice.

[old] GalleySlave

Training

Post by [old] GalleySlave » August 14th, 2005, 8:14 am

Jok3r,<br /><br />have a look at <a href='http://www.concept2.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?p=102040' target='_blank'>http://www.concept2.co.uk/forum/viewtop ... =102040</a> (I hope the link works)<br /><br />The original posting from <br />From GeorgePalmer:<br /><!--QuoteBegin--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin-->Hi guys, <br /><br />As some of you may have noticed from my previous posts I created an e-row clone for my dissertation at university. This was at the time of the PM2+. Since then I've had various people interested in the project but I've not got much time to dedicate to it. I am therefore open sourcing the project in the hope that it can be continued. <br /><br />If you are at all interested in helping then please see the project pages (http://sourceforge.net/projects/pcrower/) or email me. <br /><br />Cheers, <br /><br />George<br />_________________<br />Free PC/Linux/MAC software at www.rowtheboat.com<br /> </td></tr></table><br />Regards,<br /><br />Chris

[old] julieofarc

Training

Post by [old] julieofarc » August 30th, 2005, 10:58 am

I have a quick question about this generator. I've been using the plans for a couple weeks now, and after re-reading the original Wolverine trianing plan I am wondering if the data generated is correct, or if I am using it correctly. <br /><br />By the generator, the level 3 workouts are longer than the Level 4 ones. That seems backwards to me, and the Wolverine training plan talks about 70' L4 workouts- all the ones I see generated are 40' only. The L3 Low 2x6000 I did yesterday (total of 16k) took me a little less than an hour and a half. I could do 2 of the generated L4's during that time. Make sense? Seems like the L4 should be longer. What am I doing wrong? (Hey, I know operator error when I see it.... <br /><br />Julie

[old] bmoore

Training

Post by [old] bmoore » August 30th, 2005, 11:05 am

<!--QuoteBegin-julieofarc+Aug 30 2005, 10:58 AM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(julieofarc @ Aug 30 2005, 10:58 AM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin-->I have a quick question about this generator.  I've been using the plans for a couple weeks now, and after re-reading the original Wolverine trianing plan I am wondering if the data generated is correct, or if I am using it correctly.  <br /><br />By the generator, the level 3 workouts are longer than the Level 4 ones.  That seems backwards to me, and the Wolverine training plan talks about 70' L4 workouts- all the ones I see generated are 40' only.  The L3 Low 2x6000 I did yesterday (total of 16k) took me a little less than an hour and a half.  I could do 2 of the generated L4's during that time.  Make sense?  Seems like the L4 should be longer.  What am I doing wrong?  (Hey, I know operator error when I see it....   <br /><br />Julie <br /> </td></tr></table><br /><br />The generator doesn't work for longer rows due to the limit of the number of splits in RowPro. I gave up on the generator and program the workouts myself. It's only 9 workouts in the first three levels, and whatever you want to do for the level 4.<br /><br />I noticed that some of the interval workouts recorded rest periods in the active period. That's the biggest reason I gave up on the generator. Again, most of the limitations come from RowPro, and not the generator. Perhaps the next generation of RowPro will expand this capability. (Like programming our own training plan instead of using their fairly restricted plan).

[old] julieofarc

Training

Post by [old] julieofarc » August 30th, 2005, 12:31 pm

Well, I'm just printing what the program generates, not using RowPro. I don't understand why there might be a limitation on paper????? So, how should I adjust the L4 times to be 'Wolverine Compliant'

[old] bmoore

Training

Post by [old] bmoore » August 30th, 2005, 4:09 pm

<!--QuoteBegin-julieofarc+Aug 30 2005, 12:31 PM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(julieofarc @ Aug 30 2005, 12:31 PM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin-->Well, I'm just printing what the program generates, not using RowPro.  I don't understand why there might be a limitation on paper?????  So, how should I adjust the L4 times to be 'Wolverine Compliant'  <br /> </td></tr></table><br /><br />I think the program was set up for creating the workouts in RowPro, therefore the limit of 30 intervals interferes with the output.<br /><br />The level 4 workouts are simply sets of 10 or 6 minutes. You can expand the time with combination of the sets. Each set has sub-sets of time/rate combinations that total a number of strokes. I've been doing 70' workouts alternatinng between 176 and 180s. To grow your 40 minute workouts, simply add on an additional set.<br /><br />I downloaded the Excel version of this and it gives me all of the components to put an entire Wolverine workout in place. I think it was on the prior thread (Folverine).

[old] julieofarc

Training

Post by [old] julieofarc » August 30th, 2005, 5:27 pm

Okay- thanks for the help, Bill. I didn't realize that the excel sheet was there on that webpage, just further down from the Generator. <br /><br />I'll just add more repeats to equal the 60'-70' minutes. (Ugh! And I was thinking L4's were just really easy- that'll be adding 20-30' to what I've been doing.

[old] bmoore

Training

Post by [old] bmoore » August 30th, 2005, 6:26 pm

<!--QuoteBegin-julieofarc+Aug 30 2005, 05:27 PM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(julieofarc @ Aug 30 2005, 05:27 PM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin-->Okay- thanks for the help, Bill.  I didn't realize that the excel sheet was there on that webpage, just further down from the Generator. <br /><br />I'll just add more repeats to equal the 60'-70' minutes.  (Ugh!  And I was thinking L4's were just really easy- that'll be adding 20-30' to what I've been doing. <br /> </td></tr></table><br /><br />L4's easy??? No way. It's hard to keep the pace/rate combo going and pay attention to all the switches. I've got yellow sticky notes with the paces for 16/18/20/22 rates, and then I put the breakdown on the sets. (i.e. 2/16, 2/18, 2/20, 2/28, 2/16 for a 176 and 4/16, 3/18, 2/20, 1/22 for a 180). Eventually you get used to the sets, and then it's time to mix it up. My 2x40' the other day alternated between 180 & 184. I think I'll stick with my 70' 176/180 tonight.<br /><br />These workouts should feel like you're having to pull really hard to keep the pace. It definitely adds to your ability to pull long for longer periods. The heart rate still can get up there toward the end, and the last 20 minutes will start to fatigue the glutes and hammys. Fun, fun stuff.<br /><br />Regards,

[old] julieofarc

Training

Post by [old] julieofarc » August 30th, 2005, 7:32 pm

<!--QuoteBegin-bmoore+Aug 30 2005, 03:26 PM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(bmoore @ Aug 30 2005, 03:26 PM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin-->L4's easy???  No way.  It's hard to keep the pace/rate combo going and pay attention to all the switches.  I've got yellow sticky notes with the paces for 16/18/20/22 rates, and then I put the breakdown on the sets.  (i.e. 2/16, 2/18, 2/20, 2/28, 2/16 for a 176 and 4/16, 3/18, 2/20, 1/22 for a 180).  Eventually you get used to the sets, and then it's time to mix it up.  My 2x40' the other day alternated between 180 & 184.  I think I'll stick with my 70' 176/180 tonight.<br /><br />These workouts should feel like you're having to pull really hard to keep the pace.  It definitely adds to your ability to pull long for longer periods.  The heart rate still can get up there toward the end, and the last 20 minutes will start to fatigue the glutes and hammys.  Fun, fun stuff.<br /><br />Regards, <br /> </td></tr></table><br /><br />Well, I guess it all depends on your perspective.... I like having the variety of the stroke ratings/pace to pay attention to. It makes the work-out go quicker. I like lower stroke ratings at higher power. Give me that over race pace any day of the week! I must admit I was pretty glad during the final 1 min @22 because it's easier to keep the pace up there at higher ratings. <br /><br />I use the printout from the Wolverine Generator, staple all the pages together, and then fold it in half lengthwise. Then I can set it on the erg resting between the handle hook and chain guide. I circle or highlight the piece I'm doing. It hasn't been too much of a problem to do that because I was updating the sheet every two weeks and then I'd have a fresh copy to scribble on.<br /><br />Then again, I've only been doing 40' too. I'm also just returning to rowing, so my current 2k time really stinks (8:58), and I think it could actually be lots better since I was really poorly motivated on my last 2k test. However, I'm going to stick with the current times until Sept. 20th and retest then. We'll see what this evening brings for the 2nd L4 today. (I get to finish Sense & Sensibility! Glad they have subtitles since I haven't bought a wireless transmitter yet for the tv!)