Save HR bluetooth/ANT+ connection in PM5

Topics relating to online racing and training with 3rd party software.
pm5user
Paddler

Save HR bluetooth/ANT+ connection in PM5

Post by pm5user » July 22nd, 2020, 3:01 pm

I always use an polar H10 bluetooth/ANT+ chest strap when rowing and everytime after switching on the PM5 monitor I have to connect the chest strap again.

Is there any way to save the bluetooth/ANT+ connection in PM5, so that the chest starp automatically connects to the PM5 after switching on?

Citroen
SpamTeam

Re: Save HR bluetooth/ANT+ connection in PM5

Post by Citroen » July 22nd, 2020, 4:38 pm

If you use a USB stick to record your rows (you can't use Ergdata with that) then it will store the ANT+ serial number on your USB stick.

klick
Paddler

Post by klick » August 21st, 2020, 1:59 pm

Hi there, new concept 2 user,
Citroen, sorry to contradict (I read many of your post, you are a BIG contributor)
but I'm using a usb stick to register my ant+ cardio, WITH ergdata at the same time.
model D, PM5, last firmware, polar 10 used in ant+ mode connected to the pm5.

This way, I don't have to pair any longer, just press menu to start, wait for the usb stick to be detected, press menu again after it show my username, then choose my favorites exercises, and the cardio will show up under a few seconds.
Then I can connect ergdata as much as I need.

One small issue, if I connect ergdata BEFORE my user is detected (my usb stick looks slow), then I have to connect it again, the user detection stop the connection with ergdata and the pm5.

hope that helps ;)

Citroen
SpamTeam

Post by Citroen » August 21st, 2020, 5:28 pm

klick wrote:
August 21st, 2020, 1:59 pm
Hi there, new concept 2 user,
Citroen, sorry to contradict (I read many of your post, you are a BIG contributor)
but I'm using a usb stick to register my ant+ cardio, WITH ergdata at the same time.
It may have changed from the firmware version in the gym I was using up to March. There was one time I got a solid hang of the PM5 and needed to use a biro to hit the reset switch.

I may try to update some of the machines when I get a chance to visit the gym again.

Allan Olesen
5k Poster

Post by Allan Olesen » August 22nd, 2020, 3:25 am

ErgData can also remember the heart rate sensor.

But it is a little finicky - it works most of the time for me, but sometimes it doesn't. I think it has something to do with the order of turning on the PM and ErgData, but I have never really figured it out.

Carl Watts
Marathon Poster

Post by Carl Watts » August 22nd, 2020, 5:54 am

Another problem appears to be it can only remember 1 and I have 3 belts.

I just hit the connect and set it up every row.
Carl Watts.
Concept 2 Monitor Service Technician & indoor rower.
http://log.concept2.com/profile/863525/log

Allan Olesen
5k Poster

Post by Allan Olesen » August 22nd, 2020, 7:52 am

Carl Watts wrote:
August 22nd, 2020, 5:54 am
Same here. So I make sure to use the same belt every time.

Hitting Connect for every row is not acceptable in 2020.

Carl Watts
Marathon Poster

Post by Carl Watts » August 22nd, 2020, 10:39 pm

Allan Olesen wrote:
August 22nd, 2020, 7:52 am
Carl Watts wrote:
August 22nd, 2020, 5:54 am
Same here. So I make sure to use the same belt every time.

Hitting Connect for every row is not acceptable in 2020.
Doesn't worry me to be honest it takes only seconds, what pisses me off is when things start failing to connect or drop out.

I have a very set procedure every row. Turn on the PC which turns on the PM5 via the USB cable, Connect the HR strap then connect Ergdata but make sure your Bluetooth is turned on first on your phone before opening ErgData and as soon as it opens it swipes left on its own and you hit connect as the PM5 has already seen the phone and then and only then do you open Rowpro and your set to go.

With the latest PM5 and V168 firmware, the PM5 no longer gets confused if there is an issue with RowPro, you can even open and close RowPro without having to setup your HR and Ergdata again.

Then its just a question of remembering to turn on the fan and also to kick the music playlist off using Windows Media Player and wait for the "ROW"

Any problems these days are generally caused by Window 10 updates. Any of those .NET updates cause you to loose your internet connection and cause havoc until you reboot. These are really annoying if you turn your PC on last minute before a scheduled row and you miss the start time. I always try and turn the PC on about 30 minutes before a row so it can go away and do any updates or maintenance before the row start time.
Carl Watts.
Concept 2 Monitor Service Technician & indoor rower.
http://log.concept2.com/profile/863525/log