Winter Training

read only section for reference and search purposes.
[old] gorow9

General

Post by [old] gorow9 » October 26th, 2004, 8:49 pm

Winter's coming... at least in the northern hemisphere, so what do we do, we can erg... easy but on water training and other outdoor training are coming to a abrupt end soon, does anyone have any good suggestions for keeping in shape in the winter... keeping in mind that not everyone can exercise 3 hrs a day.<br><br>Also, Xeno at my rowing lesson today, your name came up, you used to row at Naragansett Boat Club? Also do you know Albin Moser, he's my coach and so I heard him talking about what a great rower you are and I thought I know that name, he's in the c2 forum... <br><br>Anyway, enough rambling<br>~Sara<br><br>Life's short... row hard

[old] derm

General

Post by [old] derm » October 26th, 2004, 9:05 pm

Sara, I like spinning classes, snowshoeing, jumping rope, and mountain biking in addition to erging for winter fitness. Hope this is helpful.<br>Hank

[old] gorow9

General

Post by [old] gorow9 » October 27th, 2004, 8:48 am

Spinning classes? Not framilier with that but I have been snowshoing... it's good exercise when you get used to it. I'm not sure if we get enough snow here for it to be worth buying snow shoes though.<br><br>Anyway I realy enjoy biking... in the past I've put my bike up for the winter... but I'll try to use it some I guess there wouldn't be a problem with crowds.<br><br>Thanks <br><br>~Sara<br><br>"Life's short... row hard"

[old] Daren C

General

Post by [old] Daren C » October 27th, 2004, 9:47 am

Spinning is basically a group class led by an instructor, that uses a specifically designed stationary exercise bike. It's become quite popular in the past few years so you can probably find sessions at any local gym/fitness centre.

[old] Byron Drachman

General

Post by [old] Byron Drachman » October 28th, 2004, 7:50 am

Sara wrote:<br><br>"Anyway I realy enjoy biking... in the past I've put my bike up for the winter... but I'll try to use it some I guess there wouldn't be a problem with crowds. "<br><br>I agree:<br><br><a href='http://www.math.msu.edu/~drachman/b_and_e.jpg' target='_blank'>http://www.math.msu.edu/~drachman/b_and ... ><br>Byron

[old] PaulH

General

Post by [old] PaulH » October 28th, 2004, 9:50 am

Byron - I tend to stop cycling in the winter, not from the cold, but from my uncanny desire to hurl myself repeatedly to the ground whenever so much as a flake of snow lands. But seeing your recumbent gives me a stability-related idea! <br><br>Cheers, Paul

[old] gorow9

General

Post by [old] gorow9 » October 28th, 2004, 11:23 am

Yea how do you manage not to fall and kill yourself when biking on a trail in the snow? It does seem kinda dangerous. Anyway I might ask at the YMCA about spinning classes... but mabe one indoor exercise stationary machine (the erg) is enough for one winter. <br><br>Anyway thanks<br><br>~Sara

[old] rabblerower

General

Post by [old] rabblerower » October 31st, 2004, 2:24 pm

There are a couple of winter things I like to do outside they gym. There'se a swimming pool about 4 miles away from our rowing club so once a week me and my crewmates run to the pool, then swim 30-40 lengths. We also try to play a recquet sport once a week - squash or badminton usually, as apparantly this does a lot of good for your hand eye coordination and reaction speeds, which can improve your rowing/ergo technique quite a lot. <br><br>The swim thing tends to take about 2 hours overall (we're in England where the sports facilities are less than great, so It's only a 25m pool), and we tend to just do the hour worth of squash/badminton. I don't think these should really be used to replace gym work but they certainly work as a compliment to it, and they keep the routine varied.

[old] anomad

General

Post by [old] anomad » October 31st, 2004, 2:39 pm

<!--QuoteBegin-gorow9+Oct 28 2004, 10:23 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td class='genmed'><span class='genmed'><b>QUOTE</b></span> (gorow9 @ Oct 28 2004, 10:23 AM)</td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin--> Yea how do you manage not to fall and kill yourself when biking on a trail in the snow? <!--QuoteEnd--> </td></tr></table><br> Nokian studded tires are very popular up here in Alaska. If you are serious about riding in snow and ice its the best way to keep yourself sunny side up. I get away with a studded front only commuting to work, which I do down to about -25F. <br><br>Staying fit in winter up here has been a challenge for me. Indoor rowing, swimming, xc-skiing, walking (snowshoes or not), weight lifting are all good exercises. My winter cycling basically amounts to transportation, I don't get much of a workout from riding below freezing. Its just too uncomfortable. <br><br>One of my favorites last winter was the indoor triathlon, 5k rowing, 20 min on rollers, and 20 min running on treadmill. <br> <br>

[old] gorow9

General

Post by [old] gorow9 » November 3rd, 2004, 4:54 pm

Thanks 4 the tips everybody, I'll have to try to swim this winter... I usually swim in summer because our YMCA is a bit of a joke, but I find that swimming helps relieve back pain and swelling if I pull a muscle or something, and also just good for stretching and swimming... DUH.<br><br>I'll have to ask for those nokian studded tires 4 christmas from "santa" hopefully that'll help for the winter months...<br><br>Thanks agian 4 the advice.<br><br>~Sara~