Staying Focused

read only section for reference and search purposes.
[old] Rvav8r

Health and Fitness

Post by [old] Rvav8r » December 14th, 2005, 8:46 pm

Would anyone care to share any ideas on how you stay focused during your workouts? I've noticed that if I look away from the monitor to say watch tv that my mind wanders away from the task at hand and my pace really drops off. This also happens when I just listen to music during my workouts.<br /><br />Thanks.

[old] afolpe

Health and Fitness

Post by [old] afolpe » December 15th, 2005, 6:48 am

<!--QuoteBegin-Rvav8r+Dec 14 2005, 07:46 PM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(Rvav8r @ Dec 14 2005, 07:46 PM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin-->Would anyone care to share any ideas on how you stay focused during your workouts?  I've noticed that if I look away from the monitor to say watch tv that my mind wanders away from the task at hand and my pace really drops off.  This also happens when I just listen to music during my workouts.<br /><br />Thanks. <br /> </td></tr></table><br /><br /><br />Well, it sounds like you shouldn't watch TV or listen to music while you erg, if you find it too distracting (sorry to be obvious). Just stare at the pace and make sure it's what you want. Some people who row without any music etc play math games with themselves to pass the time. <br /><br />Personally, I can't imagine erging long distances without music- it's great exercise and much more involving that almost any other indoor exercise, but it's still stationary indoor exercise. I crank up all the music I'm not allowed to listen to in the house, distract myself from my suffering, and often try to "row to the beat". <br /><br />To each their own.<br /><br />Andrew<br /><br />

[old] michaelb

Health and Fitness

Post by [old] michaelb » December 15th, 2005, 2:23 pm

Since I crank up the tunes, watch TV, and watch the rowpro display on the computer, all at the same time, I am the master of distraction while I row. But I find that I can usually keep my rowing in focus. You may want to try switching to watts display, and trying to hit a specific watt target, since that is much more precise and therefore difficult than a pace in time. Also, if you set a SR and a pace target, and keep yourself in that range, you have to concentrate a lot more on the row and can't get distracted (my SR goes down when I don't pay attention). Since Paul S recommends 10 meters per stroke, that is what I use for the pace/SR target (so if I am rowing at 2:00 pace, my SR is 25). More precise than that is to "catch on the zero's" and start each stroke every 10m, so to pull at 10, 20, 30, etc through the whole row.

[old] FrancoisA

Health and Fitness

Post by [old] FrancoisA » December 15th, 2005, 5:23 pm

<!--QuoteBegin-Rvav8r+Dec 15 2005, 12:46 AM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(Rvav8r @ Dec 15 2005, 12:46 AM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin-->Would anyone care to share any ideas on how you stay focused during your workouts?  I've noticed that if I look away from the monitor to say watch tv that my mind wanders away from the task at hand and my pace really drops off.  This also happens when I just listen to music during my workouts.<br /><br />Thanks. <br /> </td></tr></table><br />Take a look at the Wolverine Plan by Mike Caviston.<br />The Level 4 in the WP consists in 10 minutes sequences that you do one after the other. Each sequence consists in a certain number of minutes at a prescribed stroke rate and pace. For instance the 180 sequence is 4 min @ 16 spm, 3 min @ 18 spm, 2 min @ 20 spm and 1 min @ 22 spm. The Wolverine plan has a full table of those sequences. The paces that you have to maintain at the various stroke rates depend on your 2k race pace time (there is also a table for that).<br /><br />Most people have found that time flies because of the concentration required: they are impossible to do without being very focused! Also, the Level 4 gives you a progression map, since you can increase the number of sequences you do and/or the sequence number (they go from 168 to 220). There is also some creativity involved since you can chain those sequences in many ways.<br /><br />They will do wonder to your endurance and your stroke efficiency!<br /><br />Highly recommended! <br /><br />Francois

[old] R S T

Health and Fitness

Post by [old] R S T » December 15th, 2005, 7:43 pm

For intervals, just focus on the monitor - if you cannot concentrate on the monitor then you are not trying hard enough <br /><br />For longer rows, try varying your SPM every 5 mins or so e.g. work up from 20 through to 25 then back again while trying to maintain the same pace.<br /><br />I need to use tricks to see me through the long rows - they would not happen at all unless I had dvds/music/tv at hand.<br /><br />Cheers<br />Richard

[old] Rvav8r

Health and Fitness

Post by [old] Rvav8r » December 15th, 2005, 9:08 pm

Take a look at the Wolverine Plan by Mike Caviston.<br />The Level 4 in the WP consists in 10 minutes sequences that you do one after the other. Each sequence consists in a certain number of minutes at a prescribed stroke rate and pace. For instance the 180 sequence is 4 min @ 16 spm, 3 min @ 18 spm, 2 min @ 20 spm and 1 min @ 22 spm. The Wolverine plan has a full table of those sequences. The paces that you have to maintain at the various stroke rates depend on your 2k race pace time (there is also a table for that).<br /><br /><br />Francois<br /><br /><br />Thank you all for your replies. could you tell me where I can find the Wolverine Plan?<br /><br />I've been generally maintaining a 28spm pace. It is the time per 500m that flucuates too much.

[old] Xeno

Health and Fitness

Post by [old] Xeno » December 16th, 2005, 12:35 am

Hi<br />I wouldn't worry too much about the split time dropping off. You notice it and get back on track.<br />I think music and TV is great entertainment while putting in the KMS. In the end it is how far your row and time spend moving. I am sure that if you were to do a timed piece you will keep your focus.<br />Have a great week.<br />XENO

[old] ancho

Health and Fitness

Post by [old] ancho » December 16th, 2005, 8:49 am

<!--QuoteBegin-Rvav8r+Dec 16 2005, 02:08 AM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(Rvav8r @ Dec 16 2005, 02:08 AM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin-->...<br /><br /><br />Thank you all for your replies.  could you tell me where I can find the Wolverine Plan?<br /><br />I've been generally maintaining a 28spm pace.  It is the time per 500m that flucuates too much. <br /> </td></tr></table><br /><br />You will find tons of information about WP (Wolverine Plan) in this forum.<br />WP is very demanding, but results are great! It's some kind of life phylosophy, and not any more just "rowing for fun", so better forget about DVDs during your workouts.<br />You will find more information than you will probably be able to read ( and process!) in one week under the <a href='http://concept2.ipbhost.com/index.php?s ... c=2692&hl=' target='_blank'>Wolverine Plan Discussion</a><br />Take the right choice and have fun!

[old] Roland Baltutis

Health and Fitness

Post by [old] Roland Baltutis » December 17th, 2005, 1:49 am

<!--QuoteBegin-Rvav8r+Dec 14 2005, 07:46 PM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(Rvav8r @ Dec 14 2005, 07:46 PM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin-->Would anyone care to share any ideas on how you stay focused during your workouts?  I've noticed that if I look away from the monitor to say watch tv that my mind wanders away from the task at hand and my pace really drops off.  This also happens when I just listen to music during my workouts.<br /><br />Thanks. <br /> </td></tr></table><br /><br />In my view there are two different types of erging:<br /><br />1) Erging for performance<br />2) Erging for weight loss and general body maintenance<br /><br />Erging for performance requires you to leave your comfort zone and be mentally focused on the task ahead of you. Concentration is on pace and doing mental calculations on the meters and time to go to finish. Your kidding yourself if you try and watch TV or listen to music while doing this. It is too distracting.<br /><br />Erging for weight loss and general body maintenance is much easier and enjoyable with music or TV. What the pace and numbers are doing on the monitor is not so critical. It's more important to feel good about yourself during the row and music/TV are the valuable tools required to keep you motivated.<br /><br />Rockin Roland

[old] FrancoisA

Health and Fitness

Post by [old] FrancoisA » December 17th, 2005, 2:18 pm

<!--QuoteBegin-Rvav8r+Dec 16 2005, 01:08 AM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(Rvav8r @ Dec 16 2005, 01:08 AM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin-->Thank you all for your replies.  could you tell me where I can find the Wolverine Plan? <br /> </td></tr></table><br />You should read <a href='http://www.concept2.com/forums/wolverine_plan.htm' target='_blank'>this</a> first, and then the thread Ancho mentioned.<br /><br />Even if you are not interested in the performance aspect, you will find that L4 workout will keep you focused and you will gain strength and endurance. Roland is right, it is impossible to watch tv when doing the workouts in the Wolverine Plan.<br /><br />Good luck!<br /><br />Francois

[old] anomad

Health and Fitness

Post by [old] anomad » December 19th, 2005, 12:06 am

<!--QuoteBegin-Rvav8r+Dec 14 2005, 07:46 PM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(Rvav8r @ Dec 14 2005, 07:46 PM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin-->Would anyone care to share any ideas on how you stay focused during your workouts?  I've noticed that if I look away from the monitor to say watch tv that my mind wanders away from the task at hand and my pace really drops off.  This also happens when I just listen to music during my workouts.<br /><br />Thanks. <br /> </td></tr></table><br /><br /><br /><br />a heart rate monitor is another great distraction that I haven't seen mentioned here. By watching how your heart rate responds to different stroke rates and watt output levels you can learn a lot and pass a lot of time trying different things.<br /><br />For me its just like other sports, on the bike if I am climbing or time trialing there is nothing to do but focus on breathing. In the pool when doing intervals and staying "on the clock" its enough to remember to breath and keep good form. Rowing its "on the clock" and watch the heart rate.<br /><br />On easy days I am just out on the bike to get a tan and put in a few hours, so I can look around, talk to myself, or take that road I have never been on and just enjoy being outside. In the pool I let my mind wander and just occasionally look up at the clock and check my pulse to make sure I am not just taking a prolonged bath. Easy days on the rower I am a little different, I put my hat over the monitor and just row to music or watch the handle and count 1-2-3-4.<br /><br />

[old] onethirtyfive

Health and Fitness

Post by [old] onethirtyfive » December 19th, 2005, 3:23 am

I think if I have a goal for the session then I never have a problem with focus as the monitor becomes my world ... even training at a gym people tend not to interrupt when your evidently concentrating.<br /><br />I cant imagine doing an erg session without a purpose