Strange Training Results At 100% Hr

read only section for reference and search purposes.
[old] John Rupp

Health and Fitness

Post by [old] John Rupp » July 24th, 2004, 3:07 pm

<!--QuoteBegin-ranger+Jul 24 2004, 12:53 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td class='genmed'><span class='genmed'><b>QUOTE</b></span> (ranger @ Jul 24 2004, 12:53 AM)</td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin-->John--<br><br>My training has been nicely progressive. At this time last year, I was rowing at 10 SPI. Now I am rowing at 12. Stroking power/technique was just the weakness that I wanted to shore up with my training this spring and summer, and I have succeeded in spades. I can now race at low drag and with the proper application and sequences of levers. As a result, my basic stroke has about 20% more power.  <br><br>What everyone "thinks" "could" happen with my times is just speculation.<br><br>ranger<!--QuoteEnd--> </td></tr></table><br>Rich,<br><br>When is the last time you bettered 6:31.6?

[old] Phil

Health and Fitness

Post by [old] Phil » July 24th, 2004, 3:43 pm

<table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td class='genmed'><span class='genmed'><b>QUOTE</b></span> </td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin-->Here is science. Note the inflated rhetoric: _only_, _impossible_, _directly_, _entirely_.<!--QuoteEnd--> </td></tr></table><br><br>Actually, I'm pretty sure you *are* constrained by your HR. There's only so much your body can take! Of course, I don't know of anyone for whom their physical limit comes into play before their mental limit, but in this case I think the science is correct!

[old] Coach Gus

Health and Fitness

Post by [old] Coach Gus » July 24th, 2004, 4:27 pm

<!--QuoteBegin-Phil+Jul 24 2004, 11:43 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td class='genmed'><span class='genmed'><b>QUOTE</b></span> (Phil @ Jul 24 2004, 11:43 AM)</td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin--> <table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td class='genmed'><span class='genmed'><b>QUOTE</b></span> </td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin-->Here is science. Note the inflated rhetoric: _only_, _impossible_, _directly_, _entirely_.<!--QuoteEnd--> </td></tr></table><br><br>Actually, I'm pretty sure you *are* constrained by your HR. There's only so much your body can take! Of course, I don't know of anyone for whom their physical limit comes into play before their mental limit, but in this case I think the science is correct! <!--QuoteEnd--> </td></tr></table><br> Exactly. No matter what some may say or like to believe, it's physically impossible to exceed your maximum heart rate. It's MAXIMUM, get it?

[old] ranger

Health and Fitness

Post by [old] ranger » July 24th, 2004, 6:14 pm

<table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td class='genmed'><span class='genmed'><b>QUOTE</b></span> </td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin-->When is the last time you bettered 6:31.6?<br><!--QuoteEnd--> </td></tr></table><br><br>John--<br><br>6:31.6 is history. The relevant question is: When will I better 6:28.0? Or will someone else (e.g., GW) get there first? <br><br>We'll see. <br><br>I think I will row 6:24 at BIRC 2004. Then...<br><br>Training is going _very_ well.<br><br>I have decided _not_ to try out for the USIRT, although, like last year, I might go to EIRC, nonetheless. I will row at BIRC this year for sure--and the CRASH-Bs. <br><br>The 2005-06 school year is a sabbatical for me, so my training should be _very_ regular and intense then.<br><br>ranger

[old] John Rupp

Health and Fitness

Post by [old] John Rupp » July 24th, 2004, 8:01 pm

<!--QuoteBegin-ranger+Jul 24 2004, 03:14 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td class='genmed'><span class='genmed'><b>QUOTE</b></span> (ranger @ Jul 24 2004, 03:14 PM)</td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin-->I think I will row 6:24 at BIRC 2004. Then...<!--QuoteEnd--> </td></tr></table><br>Rich,<br><br>Well I asked because you said your training was progressive.<br><br>So in lieu of idle speculation, I was wondering where the progression was.

[old] Carl Henrik

Health and Fitness

Post by [old] Carl Henrik » July 25th, 2004, 3:17 am

Well, if Ranger can pull a tangential 10k (as an example) PB at 12 SPI now, as he did with a much lower SPI last year, I'd say the 2k PB is in the bag. But is this the case?<br>