The Duck Pond

read only section for reference and search purposes.
[old] woolsmith

Women's Forum

Post by [old] woolsmith » January 20th, 2006, 12:53 pm

WTG, Emilia! <br /><br />Nice job getting that 2 million mark! What kind of C2 goodies are you going to get for all your hard work? I think when I hit my 2 million mark, I want to get the C2 socks. <br /><br />I've got a ways to go, though, and I'm still feeling a tad wheezy with this cold. I'm not going to make my 200,000 meters that I wanted to hit for the JVTC I'm afraid , but I'm still going to try to row just for a bit today to see how I feel. I haven't rowed for 3 days in a row again, and I'm going through withdrawal! <br /><br />And you too, Mallard! Only 5k left to go--it'll feel really cool when that final meter rolls over and the realization hits that ya did it!<br /><br />Nice job, you two! Keep it up!!<br /><br />Mom of JBN--the racing/rowing season goes from May 1st to April 30th. I didn't get my rower until mid-May, and even then, I didn't really start rowing seriously with it until some time in June. These forums really got me inspired to want to work harder with my rower, so I have to give lotsa credit to DIAR for the meters I've logged! <br /><br />--Jen in WI

[old] katemojo

Women's Forum

Post by [old] katemojo » January 20th, 2006, 1:45 pm

<!--QuoteBegin-anneoaks+Jan 3 2006, 08:11 PM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(anneoaks @ Jan 3 2006, 08:11 PM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin--><!--QuoteBegin-ShelleyR+Jan 3 2006, 09:22 PM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(ShelleyR @ Jan 3 2006, 09:22 PM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin-->Newbie Duck here girls. Here's a question for answer please. I am developing some pretty cool calouses from rowing....Do real rowers go barehanded or do they use a glove???? <br /> </td></tr></table><br /><br />When I started out, I was told I had to go bare handed (I am really not sure why) . But, I did and I wore several bandaids. And, when I was learning to row outside, our whole group of rowers had miserable blisters on our hands. But, as time has gone on, I hardly grip the handle and bare hands are not a problem. I had a few callousses after a 1/2 marathon, though. <br /><br />My advice would be to do whatever works now since you are a new rower...just stick with it for a while and then worry about the details. But, probably other people have better advice. <br />Anne <br /> </td></tr></table><br />

[old] katemojo

Women's Forum

Post by [old] katemojo » January 20th, 2006, 1:46 pm

<!--QuoteBegin-anneoaks+Jan 3 2006, 08:11 PM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(anneoaks @ Jan 3 2006, 08:11 PM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin--><!--QuoteBegin-ShelleyR+Jan 3 2006, 09:22 PM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(ShelleyR @ Jan 3 2006, 09:22 PM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin-->Newbie Duck here girls. Here's a question for answer please. I am developing some pretty cool calouses from rowing....Do real rowers go barehanded or do they use a glove???? <br /> </td></tr></table><br /><br />When I started out, I was told I had to go bare handed (I am really not sure why) . But, I did and I wore several bandaids. And, when I was learning to row outside, our whole group of rowers had miserable blisters on our hands. But, as time has gone on, I hardly grip the handle and bare hands are not a problem. I had a few callousses after a 1/2 marathon, though. <br /><br />My advice would be to do whatever works now since you are a new rower...just stick with it for a while and then worry about the details. But, probably other people have better advice. <br />Anne <br /> </td></tr></table><br /><br />I never have worn gloves- you get used to the callouses after awhile. But whatever works <br />

[old] mallard

Women's Forum

Post by [old] mallard » January 21st, 2006, 1:48 pm

Woo hoo - first million metres completed! I was concentrating on the fact that it was my first CTC 30R20 row and completely forgot the significance of the total metres until later!<br /><br />Looking forward to getting my T shirt and wearing it with pride. On to the next million!

[old] woolsmith

Women's Forum

Post by [old] woolsmith » January 21st, 2006, 2:56 pm

<!--QuoteBegin-mallard+Jan 21 2006, 01:48 PM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(mallard @ Jan 21 2006, 01:48 PM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin-->Woo hoo - first million metres completed!  I was concentrating on the fact that it was my first CTC 30R20 row and completely forgot the significance of the total metres until later!<br /><br />Looking forward to getting my T shirt and wearing it with pride.  On to the next million! <br /> </td></tr></table><br /><br />Yay, Jenny! Nice job getting that first million meters! It's a big goal to meet, and when you do, it feels mighty good.<br /><br />Congrats!<br /><br />--Jen in WI

[old] gengonushi

Women's Forum

Post by [old] gengonushi » February 8th, 2006, 6:18 pm

Saludos fellow Ducks!<br /><br />I am new to rowing (6 weeks so far). I just wanted to share my utter joy at having these forums available! I started having rower's elbow after rowing about 4-5 weeks with improper technique. Two biggest problems: flapping like a duck, and doing the 70/30% arms/legs, instead of legs/arms. <br /><br />I didn't row last Thursday and had a full week's rest to gather information and advice here at the C2 site, and am proud to say that yesterday's workout was impactless and painless like it's supposed to be! I'm nearly cured! I probably wouldn't have any residual elbow pain today, except that I really tore up my elbows stretching afterwards on a device I don't typically use (I think they should call it "the rack"). I'm going to stop that and just use low-impact stretching that doesn't require the elbow pit to take all my weight.<br /><br />I blame all my problems on ignorance: mine and the trainer at the gym. I was shocked how much technique has to do with making rowing painlessly. Thanks to everyone in all the sub-forums here at C2!!!! You saved my erging career. I even posted my teeny numbers last night. I can't erg a lot, due to illness at the moment, but I will give my efforts to the DUCKS.<br /><br />Michele <br />

[old] amyisbest@hotmail.com1

Women's Forum

Post by [old] amyisbest@hotmail.com1 » February 25th, 2006, 4:55 am

<!--quoteo(post=55330:date=Feb 8 2006, 02:18 PM:name=gengonushi)--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(gengonushi @ Feb 8 2006, 02:18 PM) </b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'>Saludos fellow Ducks!<br /><br />I am new to rowing (6 weeks so far). I just wanted to share my utter joy at having these forums available! I started having rower's elbow after rowing about 4-5 weeks with improper technique. Two biggest problems: flapping like a duck, and doing the 70/30% arms/legs, instead of legs/arms. <br /><br />I didn't row last Thursday and had a full week's rest to gather information and advice here at the C2 site, and am proud to say that yesterday's workout was impactless and painless like it's supposed to be! I'm nearly cured! I probably wouldn't have any residual elbow pain today, except that I really tore up my elbows stretching afterwards on a device I don't typically use (I think they should call it "the rack"). I'm going to stop that and just use low-impact stretching that doesn't require the elbow pit to take all my weight.<br /><br />I blame all my problems on ignorance: mine and the trainer at the gym. I was shocked how much technique has to do with making rowing painlessly. Thanks to everyone in all the sub-forums here at C2!!!! You saved my erging career. I even posted my teeny numbers last night. I can't erg a lot, due to illness at the moment, but I will give my efforts to the DUCKS.<br /><br />Michele :lol:<br /> </td></tr></table><br /><br /><br /><br /><br />Hey Michele<br /><br />I'm new to the ducks (just joined today!), but I was wondering about your elbow injury.....sounds like the same thing I've got. What did you change in your technique to help that out? Any advice would be appreciated...I can't row for longer than about 20 minutes without pain in the elbow. Thanks!!!<br /><br />Ducky (aka Amy)

[old] gengonushi

Women's Forum

Post by [old] gengonushi » February 25th, 2006, 5:36 pm

I'm new to the ducks (just joined today!), but I was wondering about your elbow injury.....sounds like the same thing I've got. What did you change in your technique to help that out? Any advice would be appreciated...I can't row for longer than about 20 minutes without pain in the elbow. Thanks!!!<br /><br />Ducky (aka Amy)<br /><br />========================================<br />Amy--<br /><br />Welcome! You too can be saved from rower's elbow. It's very simple. Download the PDF version of the C2 manual (the 40 pager is sufficient). Look at every post you can about elbow pain and technique--especially with pictures. (To find these things, search the forums using the appropriate search words, or search the appropriate sub-forums for links and info. If you're having trouble post again, or email me from my profile, and I'll find the links on the stuff I printed out and put in a notebook.) Take it to the gym or wherever you row and work on #1 and #2 below to start.<br /><br /><u>What I can tell you specifically that I did to fix el problemo:</u><br />1)Straight arm rowing (you start out basically the same, leaning slightly forward, but you keep your arms straight when leaning back at the end of the pull--I am still doing this for at least 4 out of 5 sets)<br /><br />2)Use the 70%/30% rule! That's pushing with your legs 70% and using the arms 30%. I also find it helpful to keep my feet FLAT on the braces the entire way.<br /><br />3)Don't hold on to the bar with a death grip. Be loose.<br /><br />4)Go SLOW, use good posture, and watch yourself.<br /><br />5)NEVER bring your arms straight out in a horizontal 'V' shape away from your body. VERY BAD.<br /><br />6)Once you're ready to bring the arms back, while you're pulling the bar to your body and leaning back slightly, keep your arms close to your body and don't let them go past your back. Not exactly, but close to a 90 degree angle.<br /><br />7)Work on making the whole thing a fluid motion.<br /><br />I also do stretches that don't put stress on my elbows. They're in the PDF manual.<br /><br />You're saved! Happy rowing :D.<br /><br />Michele<br /><br /><br /><br />

[old] amyisbest@hotmail.com1

Women's Forum

Post by [old] amyisbest@hotmail.com1 » February 25th, 2006, 7:57 pm

<!--quoteo(post=57137:date=Feb 25 2006, 01:36 PM:name=gengonushi)--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(gengonushi @ Feb 25 2006, 01:36 PM) </b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'>I'm new to the ducks (just joined today!), but I was wondering about your elbow injury.....sounds like the same thing I've got. What did you change in your technique to help that out? Any advice would be appreciated...I can't row for longer than about 20 minutes without pain in the elbow. Thanks!!!<br /><br />Ducky (aka Amy)<br /><br />========================================<br />Amy--<br /><br />Welcome! You too can be saved from rower's elbow. It's very simple. Download the PDF version of the C2 manual (the 40 pager is sufficient). Look at every post you can about elbow pain and technique--especially with pictures. (To find these things, search the forums using the appropriate search words, or search the appropriate sub-forums for links and info. If you're having trouble post again, or email me from my profile, and I'll find the links on the stuff I printed out and put in a notebook.) Take it to the gym or wherever you row and work on #1 and #2 below to start.<br /><br /><u>What I can tell you specifically that I did to fix el problemo:</u><br />1)Straight arm rowing (you start out basically the same, leaning slightly forward, but you keep your arms straight when leaning back at the end of the pull--I am still doing this for at least 4 out of 5 sets)<br /><br />2)Use the 70%/30% rule! That's pushing with your legs 70% and using the arms 30%. I also find it helpful to keep my feet FLAT on the braces the entire way.<br /><br />3)Don't hold on to the bar with a death grip. Be loose.<br /><br />4)Go SLOW, use good posture, and watch yourself.<br /><br />5)NEVER bring your arms straight out in a horizontal 'V' shape away from your body. VERY BAD.<br /><br />6)Once you're ready to bring the arms back, while you're pulling the bar to your body and leaning back slightly, keep your arms close to your body and don't let them go past your back. Not exactly, but close to a 90 degree angle.<br /><br />7)Work on making the whole thing a fluid motion.<br /><br />I also do stretches that don't put stress on my elbows. They're in the PDF manual.<br /><br />You're saved! Happy rowing :D.<br /><br />Michele<br /> </td></tr></table><br /><br /><br />Thanks Michele! <br /><br />I tried your suggestions out today and my elbow is feeling much better! :)<br /><br />Amy

[old] gengonushi

Women's Forum

Post by [old] gengonushi » February 26th, 2006, 1:07 am

Great news! All I know I learned here at the website. It is a great service.<br /><br />Let us know when you hit your 1,000,000 meters.<br /><br />Michele

[old] Bufflehead

Women's Forum

Post by [old] Bufflehead » March 2nd, 2006, 7:42 pm

:twisted: The Buffle is still in hiding!<br /><br />Just thought I would bring you fellow Ducks up to date a bit. My new knee is great! I can finally walk like a real person - and without pain!!!<br /><br />Yesterday was my first day back to work. :( I got waaaaay too accustomed to being at home. I'm still being a bad little Duck. I just haven't gotten back into the swing of things yet. I don't have any excuse for not cranking out those meters - especially since I am so close to 2 million.<br /><br />Hey Woolsy - how about shaking up my tail feathers a bit! :? Or maybe just a swift kick in the rear might work.<br /><br />Keep up the great work everbody!<br /><br />The Lazy Buffle :P

[old] Jemima

Women's Forum

Post by [old] Jemima » March 2nd, 2006, 8:56 pm

Hi everyone! :) I thought I'd just sign in and tell you I'm still alive and rowing. I had an email saying I hadn't posted in a while, so I thought it was time I did. I'm about to do my first million, around mid March I think. I usually row very strictly 6 days out of 7, but last weekend I went away for the weekend (just hubby and me, left the 4 kids with a babysitter, yeah!) so I missed 3 days of rowing (Fri - Sun). Rowed Monday, missed Tuesday, rowed Wednesday and hurt my back :x Of course I couldn't miss my tennis lesson last night (after all, I'd already PAID for it) so today I am emailing instead of rowing and in pain. <br /><br />Actually I've discovered the ebay bug and have been spending all my free time listing, wrapping, and shipping instead of doing the forums. My user id is sydney457 in case anyone is interested. <br /><br />Goad to hear you're feeling better buffie, it seems a long time ago since you had that operation. And Emilia, thanks for leading our January team.<br /><br />Gosh the ducks are in 4th place, when did that happen? 8) <br /><br />Tina

[old] jcmatthews

Women's Forum

Post by [old] jcmatthews » March 3rd, 2006, 11:17 am

Another Duck still well and alive-- the stork variety of duck, that is! <br />I've been very unfocused lately, woth way too many things to do in way too many directions. I was also out of town most of last week at a surgery conference in Houston (fresh-frozen cadavers-- great fun). <br /><br /> I finally decided that I need some big goal for motivation, and I've found it: the inaugural Route 66 Marathon (running, that is) on November 19. Maybe I'll even get really inspired and try an erg marathon, too. <br /><br />This will be my 8th marathon, but it's been a few years and more than a few pounds since the last one. The erg will be my main cross-training tool, since I can't put as many miles on my ageing knees anymore. Wish me luck!<br /><br />Janet

[old] woolsmith

Women's Forum

Post by [old] woolsmith » March 5th, 2006, 8:36 pm

<!--quoteo(post=58194:date=Mar 2 2006, 07:42 PM:name=Bufflehead)--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(Bufflehead @ Mar 2 2006, 07:42 PM) </b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'>:twisted: The Buffle is still in hiding!<br /><br />Just thought I would bring you fellow Ducks up to date a bit. My new knee is great! I can finally walk like a real person - and without pain!!!<br /><br />Yesterday was my first day back to work. :( I got waaaaay too accustomed to being at home. I'm still being a bad little Duck. I just haven't gotten back into the swing of things yet. I don't have any excuse for not cranking out those meters - especially since I am so close to 2 million.<br /><br />Hey Woolsy - how about shaking up my tail feathers a bit! :? Or maybe just a swift kick in the rear might work.<br /><br />Keep up the great work everbody!<br /><br />The Lazy Buffle :P<br /> </td></tr></table><br /><br />Hey Buffle!<br /><br />Glad you're back at it, girl! So the ol' new knee is doing all right for ya, hey? <br /><br />We'll just start nipping at ya with our beaks to get ya's going again!! I'm over half way to my second million meters, so I've got to get going too. I took a bit of a rowing break in February, so I'm ready to ROW!!<br /><br />--Jen :D <br />

[old] rhorva@hotmail.com

Women's Forum

Post by [old] rhorva@hotmail.com » March 5th, 2006, 11:49 pm

Quack Quack! Glad everyone is checking in.<br /><br />Now I'll check in too... ABOUT KateMoJo's GLOVES question... I don't like them, they make my hands sweat. Much prefer to row bare handed, and flaunt my calouses proudly.<br /><br />CONGRATULATON, Mallard, on your FIRST MIILLION METERS! Awesome, I can't wait to make mine. Keep pullin'.<br /><br />DUCKY, keep those wings tucked... that might help with those elbows...<br /><br />Bufflehead... so glad to hear your knee is good as new.. take it easy, those things are FRAGILE!<br /><br />Jemima, sorry to hear about your sore back.. must be all that wrapping and shipping you're doing<br /><br />I've just returned from a trip to help my mom get settled into a really beautiful Retirement Home... we're getting ready to sell her house, etc. The trip was GREAT, except there is not ONE SINGLE rowing machine in the entire town of Quincy, Illinois... and I feel like I gained a ton of weight (but really haven't).<br /><br />Back at the oars now, and finally got all unpacked today. So I can't be in the March Madness as I've already missed six days, and am building back up to my normal meters.<br /><br />Do miss the Duck Pond, and will check in throughout the month to see how you are all doing.<br /><br />YOU INSPIRE ME!!<br /><br />Still quacking in New York... RUBBER DUCKY<br /><br /><br />