2k sub 6

General discussion on Training. How to get better on your erg, how to use your erg to get better at another sport, or anything else about improving your abilities.
Thetanium
Paddler

Re: 2k sub 6

Post by Thetanium » May 10th, 2010, 4:51 pm

hjs wrote:
Thetanium wrote:
ArmandoChavezUNC wrote:If you put LeBron James on an erg right now, quickly showed him the basics of erging, and let him do a 2k, I doubt he would go faster than 6:45 or so, which weight adjusted wouldn't be that good whatsoever.

Even if he did go faster for his weight he'd have to pull a 5:40 or so to be any good.

I was 193, 90 kg the first time I did a 2k test, with minimal preperation. And I did 6.46.7.
So there is no way that a top athlete of 110 kg 203 couldnt do more than 6:45, being trained in both aerobic and anarobic capacity.
And then you got Shaquille O'Neal 147 kg 216cm, I would be very surprised if didnt make 6 flat.
Although this isnt weight adjusted, but that wasnt the questions in the firstplace.
6.46 = 333 Watt
5.46 = 522 Watt So 56 % more.

Some like Shaquille has a very poor aerobic base, sure he has power, but even that is relative to his body not great. really big guys don,t pull a very good time on an erg.
They proberly pull a strong 500 meter, but a 2k is to far. The athletic guys who can jump and run the hole game will do a lot better.

Where do you get it from that Shaquille has to do 5:46? Its not about weight adjusted time or trying to relate this to actually rowing on the water, its "who can go sub 6?"
And even if he would have a "poor" aerobic base, he wouldnt need to challenge that too much with the height of 216cm and 147 kg moving up and down on the slides.
I saw a power-lifter/gym rat of 205cm, finishing a 2k at rate 28,time 5:58, pure power, but you cant race in a boat at that rate.

hjs
Marathon Poster

Re: 2k sub 6

Post by hjs » May 11th, 2010, 4:46 am

Thetanium wrote:
hjs wrote:6.46 = 333 Watt
5.46 = 522 Watt So 56 % more.

Some like Shaquille has a very poor aerobic base, sure he has power, but even that is relative to his body not great. really big guys don,t pull a very good time on an erg.
They proberly pull a strong 500 meter, but a 2k is to far. The athletic guys who can jump and run the hole game will do a lot better.

Where do you get it from that Shaquille has to do 5:46? Its not about weight adjusted time or trying to relate this to actually rowing on the water, its "who can go sub 6?"
And even if he would have a "poor" aerobic base, he wouldnt need to challenge that too much with the height of 216cm and 147 kg moving up and down on the slides.
I saw a power-lifter/gym rat of 205cm, finishing a 2k at rate 28,time 5:58, pure power, but you cant race in a boat at that rate.
Just 1 minute faster.

Shaquille may be 147 kg , he is at last 25 % fat , he is not the man you shouid pick from the nba, he will not pull a sub 6 2k erg. he has trouble dunking, although he is 216. He is a poor jumper. He simply is to big and tall to be athletic. I am not trying to put him down, he simply is not a fit athlete, in any aspect.
If you can find someone 110/120 kg who can jump very well, and can keep going a hole game, you have yourself a winner.
Indeed the erg is not a boat, I am not talking about that and not about weight adjustment.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HDv4p0p0sZY