Heart rate monitor on PM3 stopped working

Maintenance, accessories, operation. Anything to do with making your erg work.
Rendog
Paddler

Heart rate monitor on PM3 stopped working

Post by Rendog » January 6th, 2010, 9:08 am

I just changed the batteries on my PM3 and the heart rate monitor won't work. :( I tried two different chest straps and I couldnt get a reading on the PM3 with either of them. Any ideas on why this would happen and what I can do to get it working again? Thanks, Rendog

Citroen
SpamTeam

Post by Citroen » January 6th, 2010, 9:56 am

Check the wire from the PM3 to the HR interface. Make sure the plugs are fully home at both ends.

You can test the long cable with an iPod and a set of headphones - it's a stock 3.5mm stereo extension lead.

Check the battery in your HR strap, the HR interface is very insensitive to low powered radio signals.

Take your HR interface and try it on someone else's PM2/PM2+/PM3/PM4.
Dougie Lawson
61yrs, 172cm, Almost LWt (in my dreams).
Twitter: @DougieLawson

Carl Watts
Marathon Poster

HRM

Post by Carl Watts » January 8th, 2010, 6:24 pm

Try plugging and then unplugging the HRM pickup a number of times. The socket contacts in the PM3 can oxidise over time. The more common problem is the chest strap itself and I need to buy one myself this week as I have one of the older types with the non replaceable battery in it and it has finally given up the ghost.
Carl Watts.
Concept 2 Monitor Service Technician & indoor rower.
http://log.concept2.com/profile/863525/log

Rendog
Paddler

Post by Rendog » January 11th, 2010, 2:29 pm

So the chest strap wears out? I checked the cable on the rower and its connected. I'll try buying a new chest strap. thanks Rendog

Citroen
SpamTeam

Post by Citroen » January 11th, 2010, 3:11 pm

Rendog wrote:So the chest strap wears out? I checked the cable on the rower and its connected. I'll try buying a new chest strap. thanks Rendog
Modern Polar compatible HR straps have user replaceable batteries. Old ones has to be sent to Polar for servicing.

Bob S.
Marathon Poster

Post by Bob S. » January 11th, 2010, 6:11 pm

Citroen wrote:
Rendog wrote:So the chest strap wears out? I checked the cable on the rower and its connected. I'll try buying a new chest strap. thanks Rendog
Modern Polar compatible HR straps have user replaceable batteries. Old ones has to be sent to Polar for servicing.
That would be great - if it worked. I got one of the new receiver belts about 4 years ago and I had been happy with it. Then this thread inspired me to open it up to check the battery to see it is still up to par. I suppose that I should have used a coin, but I tried it with a screwdriver. The first one was too small and it just chewed up the plastic a bit. Then I used my largest screwdriver. It also did some plastic chewing, but it did turn the cover from the dot for "close" to the dot for "open." The problem was that nothing opened. I see no way to get the cover to pop out of there. Incidentally it took an awful lot of torque to turn it for that small angle. It was not surprising that the slot got chewed up some. At this point, my guess is that I'll be using it until the battery is definitely shot and then getting a new one.

Another problem that I had was that one of the plastic projections on the belt has broken off. I can still snap it onto the receiver using the remaining three projections and it seems to work O.K. that way. I looked into just purchasing the belt part of the receiver, but the Polar website was confusing to the point where I could not be sure that what I would order would be the right item.

I definitely never want to have to send anything to Polar for repair or replacement. I had to do that once, many years ago, and was really turned off by the problems I had with delays and lack of communication.

Bob S.

Rendog
Paddler

Post by Rendog » January 25th, 2010, 3:45 pm

Ok the new heart rate strap didnt work, so I ordered a replacement wire and reciever (the thing that goes under the rail). The tech guy at Concept 2 told me to reset the PM3 by taking out the batteries for 24 hours. I really need the HR monitor to work.

Carl Watts
Marathon Poster

Post by Carl Watts » January 25th, 2010, 5:44 pm

You don't need to remove the batteries for 24 hours to do a reset on a PM3.

Even if the memory back-up supercap is working (most of them on the PM3's are not) then it will backup for 10 minutes or less, after which point if you have to re-enter the time and date it has been reset.

The PM3 itself appears very reliable in the Heart Rate area, I have yet to see one that has failed, although that said possibly up to 80% of users don't use this function. I guess your next cheapest option is to replace the little black Polar receiver box unless you can find another PM3 or PM4 to test it on first which would be the better option.

From the looks of things any standard Polar strap or a coded one will work, however the new ones with the W.I.N.D technology will not work.
Carl Watts.
Concept 2 Monitor Service Technician & indoor rower.
http://log.concept2.com/profile/863525/log

Rendog
Paddler

Post by Rendog » January 29th, 2010, 10:07 am

Thats what did it, I had to replace the black Polar receiver box that goes under the rail. Not sure why it died, but after I replaced it with a new one the HR monitor came to life. I couldnt live without knowing my HR. Thanks for all the help. Rendog :D