First marathon - what time to aim for?

General discussion on Training. How to get better on your erg, how to use your erg to get better at another sport, or anything else about improving your abilities.
Citroen
SpamTeam

Re: First marathon - what time to aim for?

Post by Citroen » September 24th, 2015, 2:51 pm

I think you're about right with your estimate. I expect you'll get it done in less than 170 mins.
Dougie Lawson
61yrs, 172cm, Almost LWt (in my dreams).
Twitter: @DougieLawson

jackarabit
Marathon Poster

Post by jackarabit » September 24th, 2015, 4:33 pm

Current top of C2 leaderboard for age 30-39 is 166 minutes and change. For most of us, finishing would be an excellent first-time result.
There are two types of people in this world: Those who can extrapolate from incomplete data

M_77_5'-7"_156lb

christopherregisryan
2k Poster

Post by christopherregisryan » September 24th, 2015, 5:19 pm

remisture wrote: The first half marathon I did was 1.18.36, so I think somewhere between 2.50 and 3.00 should be possible, but I'm afraid to "die" after about 2 hours. Any tips?

30, 173 cm, 92 kg.
Plan to go 4 or 5 splits slower than your HM. You want to stay aerobic and avoid significant HR creep.
Plan to take a few breaks to hydrate and stretch your quads, hamstrings and hips.
Use the restroom before you start so you don't need to waste time during your piece.
Create some distractions: podcasts, music, TV, movie. 3 hours is a long time to look at the monitor.
SEAT PAD!! Towel.
Make sure you are in a cool place and out of direct sunlight. A fan is nice.

Based upon your HM, I agree with your prediction. Good luck. Let us know how you did.

Carl Watts
Marathon Poster

Post by Carl Watts » September 24th, 2015, 6:38 pm

You should go sub 3 hours easy. I just set a target of sub 3hours and stuck to the required pace.

Personally I wouldn't attempt to go too fast on your first, the aim is just to FINISH. Trust me its a totally different event compared to the shorter distances and things really get hard past the 32Km mark.

You need to line up about six 750ml bottles of water with electrolytes but preferably have a "Helper" on hand and its good for motivation.

Wouldn't try one in the heat of summer and it also helps if you can row at a low rating and have done plenty of 20spm training. The last hour I spent at an AT heartrate, its not nice an the FM is as much a mental challenge as it is a physical one, expect to be able to sustain pain for a LONG time during it.....hence I'm in no hurry to do another, the first will probably be my last.
Carl Watts.
Concept 2 Monitor Service Technician & indoor rower.
http://log.concept2.com/profile/863525/log

Edward4492
10k Poster

Post by Edward4492 » September 24th, 2015, 9:25 pm

Different animal than the HM. I had done several HM's in the 1:25 range relatively pain free. FM it becomes a problem with the body just breaking down. I took a measured 60s break every 10k, got up quick stretch, water and food and back at it. Was sitting on a 3:02 pace and cramped severely with 6k to go. Lost tons of time and finished in 3:08. You're way faster than me, I would say shoot for a sub three hour. In almost every event I prefer negative splitting, but because you're going at a relatively slow pace (compared to a 2k, 5k, ot 10k) I would probably go out at a pace that equates to a 2:50 to 2;55 finish. If you plan to take breaks you need to subtract that time. If you want to break three hours and you decide to take three 60s breaks, you need a sub 2:57 pace. I don't think I'll ever do another one. Have a detailed realistic plan and stick to it; good luck!

f2d
1k Poster

Post by f2d » September 25th, 2015, 12:16 am

For your water needs, go to the pet store, get a few feet of that plastic tubing they use to pump air into an aquarium. Then go to the hardware store and pick up a 5 gallon bucket. Fill the bucket with water and hold 1 end of the tubing in your mouth and drop the other end into the bucket. You can sip away anytime you need without having to worry about running out.

hjs
Marathon Poster

Post by hjs » September 25th, 2015, 3:43 am

remisture wrote:Hi,

I'm planning on doing my first marathon in the next couple of months, and want to have the best debut time possible :) What is considered a good marathon time?

The first half marathon I did was 1.18.36, so I think somewhere between 2.50 and 3.00 should be possible, but I'm afraid to "die" after about 2 hours. Any tips?

30, 173 cm, 92 kg.
The trouble is, how does you glutes hold up. If you don,t have a problem hm plus 4/5 seconds is ok. As training you should do longer rows and stop doing short work in the build up.

Re height / weight are those numbers correct. For your height you are a good erger. But your weight seems like that of a pro bodybuilder. Typo?

bisqeet
10k Poster

Post by bisqeet » September 25th, 2015, 6:14 am

i would just like to finish it :)
Dean
2020 Season: 196cm / 96kg : M51
Training Log - ʕʘ̅͜ʘ̅ʔ -Blog
~seven days without rowing makes one weak~

Carl Watts
Marathon Poster

Post by Carl Watts » September 25th, 2015, 6:39 am

Cramp is an issue, personally I don't advise stopping but I did once as a courier knocked on the door ! hence I suggest a helper to take care of any possible distractions.

Lost about a minute and a half and spent the next hour trying to make it up.

Had simultaneous massive cramps in both legs when I finished, not nice and if you stopped and got these before the finish your stuffed.

Totally different to a HM although they are obviously very good training, at the end of a HM you can feel pretty good, perhaps good enough you think you could do another straight away but all sorts of weird stuff kicks in, especially due to dehydration which took me out at 32Km the first time I tried it because I thought I could get through it without drinking ! stupid move.

Defiantly a rewarding experience to finish, not many people attempt one let alone finish one.

From memory I used the pace predictor but then added a couple of seconds per 500m to ensure a finish.
Carl Watts.

hjs
Marathon Poster

Post by hjs » September 25th, 2015, 8:14 am

remisture wrote:
hjs wrote:Re height / weight are those numbers correct. For your height you are a good erger. But your weight seems like that of a pro bodybuilder. Typo?
Haha, definitely not a pro bodybuilder, just a little bit overweight. The numbers are correct :) Maybe a couple of kilos lighter when I did the HM i mentioned: https://instagram.com/p/cHtfAkpYlH/
Carl Watts wrote:You need to line up about six 750ml bottles of water with electrolytes
That much? :shock:

Seat pad is a good tip. I usually start getting numb after about an hour.
You must have a broad built, if you where very fat you would not pull the times you do. There are not manny guys that short pulling those numbers.

Re hydration, depends on the temp. Try to use a very cool place. Below 10c if possible. Sweating will limit your pace a lot in the end and drinking breaks will ruin your result. Practice drinking while erging with one hand and have drinks very easy to get nearby.

sillbeer
Paddler

Post by sillbeer » September 25th, 2015, 11:20 am

How about something like the Salomon S-Lab vest? I use one for running and I love it. I use to use a small CamelBack and I've tried a variety of hydration belts. The S-Lab vest is tight fitting and very comfortable to wear. I ditched the soft bottles and utilize a bladder to hold my water along with Nuun tablets when I go out for longer distances.

http://www.amazon.com/Salomon-S-Lab-Adv ... omon+s-lab

- Destin

jackarabit
Marathon Poster

Post by jackarabit » September 25th, 2015, 2:53 pm

I'm thinking a Camelbak and some sort of IV stand or crane arm and the tygon tubing hanging free. Gels and water bottles are not a big problem pulling with one hand so I don't think I'd bother with water bladders of any sort. Do need to get your fingers in the relieved web at the center of the model D/E handle or around the center of the older wood handle with the chain swivel between your middle and ring finger. I will never try the FM but if I did, I'd get off at least twice, elevate my feet for 2 minutes, and time be damned. i think you are entitled to the FULL treatment and whatever reward accrues thereto.
There are two types of people in this world: Those who can extrapolate from incomplete data

M_77_5'-7"_156lb

f2d
1k Poster

Post by f2d » September 25th, 2015, 5:25 pm

jackarabit wrote:I'm thinking a Camelbak and some sort of IV stand or crane arm and the tygon tubing hanging free. Gels and water bottles are not a big problem pulling with one hand so I don't think I'd bother with water bladders of any sort. Do need to get your fingers in the relieved web at the center of the model D/E handle or around the center of the older wood handle with the chain swivel between your middle and ring finger. I will never try the FM but if I did, I'd get off at least twice, elevate my feet for 2 minutes, and time be damned. i think you are entitled to the FULL treatment and whatever reward accrues thereto.
A modified IV stand with tubing that's attached to the seat would be optimal, that way it moves back and forth with you and stays a constant distance from your mouth.
You don't need to get fancy with the water container, a 5 gallon bucket should provide more than adequate water.

Carl Watts
Marathon Poster

Post by Carl Watts » September 25th, 2015, 8:32 pm

Drinking while rowing really depends on your pace, at about 2:06 pace its not hard to row one handed and just keep the flywheel moving.

Also it helps if your not gasping for air and your heartrate is through the roof. You kind of have to interrupt the breathing if you want to get it down you.

You loose very little time drinking unless your trying to row a world record.

STOPPING at any point is what really kills your time, you simply cannot afford to stop and get off he erg. Stopping also seriously stuffs your rhythm and makes it even harder to get going again.

Yep 6 bottles, I went through four and ran out, you want an unlimited amount of fluids available, preferably cold as this also helps to keep your core temperature down.

Ambient temperature and humidly want to be low and you need a flow of clean fresh air and something to distract you like motivational music. I was lucky and rowed it online with another guy going the same pace as me, after the stop it was motivation to catch him up and finish together.
Carl Watts.

bonefixer
1k Poster

Post by bonefixer » September 26th, 2015, 4:04 pm

The fluid requirement estimates here are way over the mark in my opinion. You need about 500ml per hour, and the first hour is free as long as you're well hydrated to start with. I would put 9g of salt in a mixture of 500ml water and 500ml orange juice and that'll be enough for the whole piece. Stop at 10K, 20K and 30K and neck a third of the bottle.

I'm basing this on some experiments I did before my 85 mile row earlier in the year, and the row itself. I measured my fluid requirements by weighing myself on some fairly accurate scales. Over-hydration, especially with just water, can be a problem and even dangerous.
Bonefixer, 47M, 83kg, 183cm

Aims: 6:40 2K, 18:00 5K, 8000m 30min -done, 2.00 pace HM - done