Rest period inbetween intervals

General discussion on Training. How to get better on your erg, how to use your erg to get better at another sport, or anything else about improving your abilities.
robinfisichella
Paddler

Rest period inbetween intervals

Post by robinfisichella » May 17th, 2009, 4:29 pm

Hi all

Ive just come off an ergo program which specified rest periods inbetween intervals in seconds.
Im looking at doing the 2k program in the training guide but im worried that the rest period could be too long as it specifies every training band to have a rest period of 'return to twice resting HR' which seems too long for me especially in the AN band.
Also i dont have a HR monitor and even if i did i dont think the chest strap ones are particulary comfortable for erging.

Does anyone have any guidance on resting periods? Like a rest time per training band?
Whatever it takes!

sheehc
1k Poster

Post by sheehc » May 17th, 2009, 11:59 pm

The general ranges I've found are as follows:
Note: These ranges are for the typical HS/College athlete, a master level athlete may need more rest

UT2 - None needed, but if you do then keep rest under a minute
UT1 - Really don't need rest, but if you are going to, then use 1' rest for every 15-20' of work
AT - I generally use 1' rest for every 2' work. The ratio can be 1:1 or as little as 1:4 though, pending on the workout. Maintaining intensity is the issue, use the rest you need to hold the intensity.
Trans - 1-2' minutes rest for every 1' worked.
AN - Generally rest 3-4x longer than you work. Looking at the paces C2 recommends though you can probably get away with a lot less.