PM3 vs PM4 - How important is heart rate in work out?

Maintenance, accessories, operation. Anything to do with making your erg work.
KDreese
Paddler

PM3 vs PM4 - How important is heart rate in work out?

Post by KDreese » February 18th, 2009, 7:59 pm

I am thinking of getting a C2 D and wondering about the different PM's. I plan to use the C2 for weight loss and toning, so not for racing etc. I think the PM3 should meet my needs, however I am new to working out and wondering how important a hear rate monitor is? For an extra $150 is it worth it to buy a PM4 and have the built in heart rate monitoring and the ability to download the info to a computer? Also, does the PM4 come with everything you need to do the heart rate monitoring (looks like no watch but the belt is enough?)?

I guess overall I am not sure what use you get out of monitoring your heart while working out. Is it best to have it so you can see that you are in your desired heart range (e.g. under or over working your heart)? Being new to this whole thing I would hate to get a PM3 and then decide a couple of months later that the heart rate monitor would have been really useful... Any help would be greatly appreciated.

KD

djh
1k Poster

Post by djh » February 18th, 2009, 10:16 pm

Doug
64 yrs/176 cm/74⅞ kg/8400 km
Lifetime: Image

Citroen
SpamTeam

Post by Citroen » February 18th, 2009, 10:32 pm

djh wrote:The PM3 will handle a heart monitor.
The PM4 will handle either Polar HRMs with the dongle on the long wire or Suunto/Garmin ANT HRMs wirelessly. You get the best of both worlds with a PM4.

The way PM3/PM4 records HR data is an interesting subject and it doesn't do it in quite the way you'd expect and possible not in quite the way you want it to.

I find it more useful to record HR data using a HRM watch.
Dougie Lawson
61yrs, 172cm, Almost LWt (in my dreams).
Twitter: @DougieLawson

KDreese
Paddler

Post by KDreese » February 19th, 2009, 12:02 am

The watch heart rate monitors are fairly inexpensive but I guess what I am asking is if its worth paying the extra to have it wirelessly integrated into the PM4? Sounds like it might be worth it to have the wireless and the logging capability all in one device.

Cazneau
500m Poster

Heart rate monitoring is very useful

Post by Cazneau » February 19th, 2009, 7:06 am

Especially if you are new to exercising, learning what your max heart rate is so that you can determine ideal training zones can help you maximize the effectiveness of your workout.

Having the built in, wireless HR reading in front of you without having to buy additional equipment is very convenient.

on the other hand, it is by no means critical that you do HR training.

fishbust
Paddler

Heart rate....

Post by fishbust » February 21st, 2009, 7:48 am

KDreese wrote:The watch heart rate monitors are fairly inexpensive but I guess what I am asking is if its worth paying the extra to have it wirelessly integrated into the PM4? Sounds like it might be worth it to have the wireless and the logging capability all in one device.
I have a Model D and PM3 and wireless heart rate monitoring with Polar belt. I find the Polar are more popular, at least from what I have seen. The heart rate monitoring is wireless, the pickup plugs into the PM3 and runs under the rail, then you just put on your belt and it will display directly on the PM3 and will also upload onto your pc with the free software, Logcard Utility. My son already had his own Polar belt, so Polar was an easy choice for me to make. You do not need a watch with the heart rate monitor and it would be hard to see anyway while you are rowing. It will be up on the screen for you where you can see it. All you need is the pickup for the PM3 and the Polar belt.

Heart rate monitoring is beneficial if you are targeting a certain work level for yourself, whether cardio/performance improvement or fat burning and endurance. Sometimes when I don't care about my time on routine weekday after work rowing, I watch my heart and achieve my normal zone that way. A matter of preference, more information for tracking is always better than less.

I would also add that the wireless monitor and Polar belt works very well on this machine, no disappointments if you wet the inside of the belt before putting it on, they all work better wet. Heart rate monitors can be notoriously problematic on many machines. It does work well on the Concept 2.

PJM
Half Marathon Poster

Post by PJM » February 21st, 2009, 4:23 pm

I have a Polar Heart Rate Monitor with My Concept2 and also a watch that works with the chest belt.I don't use the watch when I row.But the PM screen will offer you the info you need to watch your heart rate and is a great way to stay in shape and work the heart muscle.It is rather accurate too..I really find it a benefit to my workouts .

Pat
B)
[img]http://i88.photobucket.com/albums/k195/lockaroundmyheart/Not%20Real%20Pictures/Animations/diddle-1.gif[/img]

Cazneau
500m Poster

Suunto v. Polar

Post by Cazneau » February 21st, 2009, 7:25 pm

I have a Suunto that syncs with my PM4 without the additional device. I also have a Polar with a watch I use for running and cycling. Other differences:

You can change the battery on a Suunto but not on the Polar--you have to mail it back for servicing.

If you go to gyms, Polars work automatically with a lot of gym equipment--treadmills, bikes, ellipticals.

So they both have advantages and disadvantages. I'm glad I have both.

PJM
Half Marathon Poster

Post by PJM » February 21st, 2009, 7:30 pm

That is definitely a drawback for the Polar.I have had to send my watch back more than twice for a battery change.No watch kiosk will change the battery for me..no one wants to open the back to change it :( It is worth the money but is a little bit of a nuisance.I have a MIA watch too for heart rate but don't like it as well.Not as accurate.Oh well..the Polar is ok and like you said..it workds with many gym pieces and so is very versatile.

Pat
B)
[img]http://i88.photobucket.com/albums/k195/lockaroundmyheart/Not%20Real%20Pictures/Animations/diddle-1.gif[/img]

ToddMR
Paddler

Post by ToddMR » July 8th, 2009, 9:31 pm

Actually, the more recent Polar WearLink belts allow you to change the battery yourself.

And they're more comfortable, IMHO, than the older-style Polar and the Suunto which have a large part of the front of the strap in plastic.

The WearLink belt is almost all fabric.

Nosmo
10k Poster

Post by Nosmo » July 13th, 2009, 4:29 pm

I have a HR monitor and never use it anymore. Some people like them, but once you are experienced it really doesn't provide much information. If you know how to push yourself and know when you are tired or getting burnt out they you don't need one. I think they are more useful for coaches. However if you are new to sports in general then they can be very useful if you understand how to use them.

Gick
Paddler

Post by Gick » August 1st, 2009, 6:14 pm

You are advised not to exercise when unwell, but there is always a temptation to 'give it a go'. If you observe heartrate during a know work level, and see that it is higher than normal, take it as a sign that all is not well with your body and thus advisable to take it easier.
I recently came down with a summer cold and although I felt good to do some rowing, I noticed that my heartrate was 10 bpm higher for the same wattage, and restricted the workouts to 30 mins with a couple of hours rest between.
I use the PM4 with a suunto comfort belt and also have a suunto watch for non rowing activities.
It is important to exercise aerobically for fat burning and general fitness, so knowing that you are not pushing your heart rate above 60% of maximum heart rate (MHR) is beneficial.
If you can manage it, a model E is well worth the extra, and has the PM4 as standard. It is higher, close to a normal seat which I found particularly useful for mountining when I suffered back spasms a few weeks ago, using it to slide back and forth with my feet on the ground, to free up my muscles. It is very quiet compared with the earlier models, although I do have to turn the volume on the television up a little.javascript:emoticon(':idea:')

Martyn Walmsley
Paddler

My HRM is invaluable

Post by Martyn Walmsley » September 1st, 2009, 5:06 pm

I've taken up indoor rowing again on my series E after a layoff and find my heart rate monitor invaluable for my training.

I originally wanted to loose weight so I was able, using the HRM, to keep sub 70% to burn the fat off. More recently I've been training for a marathon row I'm doing for charity in November. Having my HRM has allowed me to train to different limits to build CV strength or to push into recovery training. The belt broke earlier in the year and I felt lost without it.

I've got a Suunto belt with a T3 watch and a PC Pod. The latest version of the software allows me to capture my heart rate in real time across the whole exercise piece, getting round the restriction of 50 "laps" on the T3. I can extract the data from the file and graph it in Excel. I can, therefore, see how much effort I've been putting in and over what time. Since the beginning of the year, I've done just over 830000m, lost 2 stones in weight and dropped three inches around the waist. I believe it would have been harder to achieve without accurate heart rate data as the fat burn rate didn't feel like I was working hard enough to affect anything. Consequently, I would have been going too fast on the rower, not seen the results I wanted and given up.

Being able to get the realtime data, either a PM3 or a PM4 would be good for counting the distance/time but I would definitely go for a Suunto so that you can track real time heart rate data and train accordingly.

Hope that helps

Montanaandy
1k Poster

Heart Rate Monitor?

Post by Montanaandy » September 2nd, 2009, 2:48 pm

While I have been a proponent of HRM's in the past I have also kind of ventured away from them particularly when it comes to rowing.

With respect to rowing I have found the use of HRM's kind of a pain. I have the PM3 and used to use the Polar HRM interface or I should say "tried to use it" but found the HR readings that were being fed/showing up on the PM3 to be erratic at times so I just stopped using it. Likely has to do with my PM3 having electrical/interface problems. I also did not like it when the transmitter belt would slide down during a row because of the sweat generated by rowing or when the plastic from the transmitter would dig into me on the catch. I tried to compensate for the sliding transmitter by really tightening the belt but this was uncomfortable and distracting. If there was another way to transmit to the receiver while rowing other than wearing a belt then I would do it. Andy

Montanaandy
1k Poster

Polar Wearlink Belt

Post by Montanaandy » September 2nd, 2009, 2:53 pm

I just took a look online at the Polar Wearlink transmitter belt and would have to agree that this appears much more comfortable than the old stiff plastic Polar trasmitter belts that I have used in the past. It also appears that this would remain comfortable even if pulled tight. Will have to take a look at these. Andy