Split Question

General discussion on Training. How to get better on your erg, how to use your erg to get better at another sport, or anything else about improving your abilities.
BLN
Paddler

Split Question

Post by BLN » November 23rd, 2008, 4:43 pm

Part of my winter training plan has some intervals in it, but they were prescribed to me with an associated HR. I'm not a big fan of HR training for intervals. Here's an example of why I don't like HR interval training: if I'm trying to average a 180 HR, then I start out at a 175, and as the piece goes on it climbs to 180 and then 190, therefore I either have to ease up to get my heart rate back down (which I never do) or just continue and perhaps I'm working out of the zone a little. I like to have my workouts prescribed as a function of my 6k or 2k split.

My question: what type of splits would you equate with the following two workouts:
3x4k with 8 minutes rest @ HR180
2x 8000m with 10 minutes rest @ HR 170

I'm guessing the 3x 4k would be at 6k+1 or +2 and the 2 x 8000m at 6k+4? My Max HR is 205.
Last edited by BLN on November 24th, 2008, 2:32 pm, edited 7 times in total.

Citroen
SpamTeam

Post by Citroen » November 23rd, 2008, 5:17 pm

How did you arrive at 180 as being the HR you want to use?

Have you ever done a step test to find your maxHR on the rower?

If I'm doing HR training, I'll switch the PM3/PM4 to show watts so that I don't sit there thinking, this is a) too slow, or b) too quick. I've even used a Post-It ™ note to cover the middle of the monitor (big print display) so all I can see is metres or time left, stroke rate and HR.

I work on the basis of setting a HR limit for the session, if HR goes over max I'll reduce pace (by increasing stroke rate for twenty strokes) until HR comes back down below the limit.
Dougie Lawson
61yrs, 172cm, Almost LWt (in my dreams).
Twitter: @DougieLawson

BLN
Paddler

Post by BLN » November 23rd, 2008, 10:28 pm

I've used my heart rate band for a couple of years and found 205 to be my max as of a couple of months ago. The heart rate recommendations were from my records I kept from training I did in college, and I am now repeating the program as it worked well for me.

I'm not a fan of decreasing pace, I don't think its a good mental strategy. If you are having a good day and are pushing the pace, I usually go with it as they are supposed to be challenging intervals. I'm not worried about overtraining.

I've never tried increasing the SPM though in order to decrease HR, as you suggest. Does that really work? Does your heart rate drop by pulling the same split at a higher rate?

For reference, I do the pieces at 27-28 SPM.

Citroen
SpamTeam

Post by Citroen » November 24th, 2008, 4:43 am

BLN wrote:I'm not a fan of decreasing pace, I don't think its a good mental strategy. If you are having a good day and are pushing the pace, I usually go with it as they are supposed to be challenging intervals. I'm not worried about overtraining.
Then you'll have to accept that HR will drift upwards through the session.

BLN wrote:I've never tried increasing the SPM though in order to decrease HR, as you suggest. Does that really work? Does your heart rate drop by pulling the same split at a higher rate?
Yes, because the power needed per stroke to get the same split is lower at a higher rate.
BLN wrote:For reference, I do the pieces at 27-28 SPM.
Slow everything down. Stop rushing the recovery. The only time you should be rating very high is in a 2K race. (There is some variation based on age, weight, height - short folks tend to have to rate higher.)

Nosmo
10k Poster

Post by Nosmo » November 24th, 2008, 2:09 pm

My advice is not to train based on heart rate. You can use your HR monitor as a way to monitor your fitness or as an additional check for overtraining or illness but rely on pace rather then HR.

You paces seem reasonable or perhaps slightly fast. (I don't do those intervals so I'm not entirely sure). But the best way to check is to do them and see how it goes. Do them at a pace you know you can do and then the next time do them slightly faster. You will converge on the pace you can handle pretty quickly. Slightly negative split everything within and between each interval. If you are tired but not really wasted after the intervals then your pace is good. You should be able to do an moderately paced endurance workout the next day without too much problem.

27-28 sound just slightly high to me for these intervals. That is what I'd do a 5K test at. I do 4x2K at 28-30. so 25-28 would be more like it. Lower end if you are tall, upper end if you are short.

jamesg
Half Marathon Poster

Post by jamesg » November 25th, 2008, 3:04 am

BLN,

Are you sure they weren't 3*4 minutes and 2*8 minutes? These would be nearer my idea of intervals and the stated HRs would tally, although during short sharp stuff the HR changes too fast to be of any use as a guide. Perhaps it was meant as a max.

What's the point of the long rests? Don't you get cold in between and have to warm up again?

Taken literally, 3*4 and 2*8km look more like 12 and 16km UT2s, to be done at 18-20 rating or so, as to height, with short stops to drink if you feel like it. So HR will be 45-60% of range after say 10-15 minutes; then keep going at the pace that elicits that reaction.

For HRR 50-200, 60% is 140.
180 means almost 90% of range, so would be higher even than AT - as might be expected during a 3x4minute work-out, but with a good warm-up and short rests.

Playing with numbers is fun, but we have to be careful. One Mars mission was lost because of a mix-up between kg and lb.. don't want that to happen on the erg.
08-1940, 183cm, 83kg.
2024: stroke 5.5W-min@20-21. ½k 190W, 1k 145W, 2k 120W. Using Wods 4-5days/week. Fading fast.

mikvan52
Half Marathon Poster

Re: Split Question

Post by mikvan52 » November 25th, 2008, 8:36 am

BLN wrote: I like to have my workouts prescribed as a function of my 6k or 2k split.

My question: what type of splits would you equate with the following two workouts:

I'm guessing the 3x 4k would be at 6k+1 or +2 and the 2 x 8000m at 6k+4?
Over the last two years I have been training on a combination of splits and HR... but it's been primarily based on splits.

My mentors have been:
Tom Bohrer, Two time Olympic Medalist &
Larry Gluckman, another coach of great renown.

You can find Larry's and Linda Muri's considerable contributions archived on this site at

Click here

Linda Muri’s “Jul 2, 2006 7:17 am Post subject: Planning a training program (strategy)” is quite good.
Paticularly:
lindamuri wrote: • A 30 minute row can be a 2km predict a range of 2k pace by subtracting 5-7 off the 30 min pace. Similar predictions can come from 5k, 6k, or 20’ pieces. You don’t need to do a completely different workout than you usually would to determine a predicted pace.
• Rowing 6 x 500m with 1 minute rest, then the average of the paces will be very close to your present 2km pace.
• Rowing 4 x 1000m on 12 minutes centers, then the average of the paces will also be very close predictor.
• For noting progress try 10 x 3 minutes with 30 seconds rest. After a warm up try to row each piece at your 2km stroke rate but start off 6-8 seconds off your 2km “guess” pace to start and try to lower by 3-4 tenths each subsequent 3:00 interval. This is a high aerobic workout in the beginning but challenges the early lactate system toward the end.
(snip)
3. The basic requirement to be successful is to do a variety of workouts to stress all aspects of the cardio-vascular and neuro-muscular system. In addition there should be progress made in maximizing technique so that the rowing motion optimally uses the skeletal and muscular systems efficiently. Making every effort to coordinate the leg drive with a strong back pry while keeping the arms long for as long as possible.
(snip)
4. Many exercise physiologists working with rowing athletes preparing for 2km suggest that 70-80 % of the time spent training should be done in the aerobic area. From conversational pace to the point when you are unable to whistle while you row. 10-15% of your time should be spent in the anaerobic threshold area which include over-distance race pieces like 3 x 10 min- 2 x 6km or pieces like (1:40 work / :20 rest x 10 ) x2 where the intensity is greater than you could normal row 20 min. straight but not as fast as you would row 1:40 with lots of rest. 10 % at speeds greater than race pace with even to 3 times work length for rest This includes 1 min on/ 1 min off, 6-8 x 500m with 3-5 min rest or (3 x 2:00/2:00) x 2, 3-6 x 1000 m with 5 -8 min rest. Some physiologist believe that 3-5 % of this 10% should be done at speeds and load which will last only 10-30 seconds with 6-8 minutes rest. Here we are trying to achieve maximum watts on an erg or maximum speed in your single, etc within the first 7-10 seconds and then try to hold on. Building this type of rowing specific power has a trickle down value when you return to training your other energy paths, since if you build greater power then for the same heart rate or perceived exertion you will actually be working at a higher work level or watts. For example if you are able to raise your maximum power by 30-50 watts then training at 60-70% of you aerobic rower will be between 18-30 watts higher as a result of improved power.
There’s more at: click here If you wander around on these threads you'll find some great stuff!

I also encourage indoor rowers to sign up with Tom Bohrer (for a fee) at
Click here (tbfit.com). This program took much of the guess-work out of it for me :D
His training from May to February last year got me the CRASH-B hammer in my group.
3 Crash-B hammers
American 60's Lwt. 2k record (6:49) •• set WRs for 60' & FM •• ~ now surpassed
repeat combined Masters Lwt & Hwt 1x National Champion E & F class
62 yrs, 160 lbs, 6' ...