blisters on hands

Look here first for answers to common questions
abdulcanbaz
Paddler

Re: blisters on hands

Post by abdulcanbaz » November 28th, 2011, 7:11 am

I switched my daily cardio jog to rowing for the convenience while I'm an absolute beginner to indoor rowing. I religiously row 10.000 everyday and I'm in pain :) I tried fingerless weight lifting gloves, didn't do much. When you row long enough no matter how soft you grip you get hurting friction on your hands. When it's too bad to I use hooks like these: http://www.heroesfitness.co.uk/products ... _hooks.php With these I don't even have to grip but to stabilize the drive you should use fingers which again causes blisters on fingers :)

I don't know, if any padding would be working, C2 would have made the handle with it. Why to manufacture an uncomfortable handle anyway?

buckyswider
Paddler

Post by buckyswider » March 3rd, 2013, 10:06 pm

Just wanted to pile on here. This here thread saved me a LOT of pain. I do 60-80 minutes, and my hands were raw, so I bought gloves. Started wearing THEM out on the smooth model D plastic handle. Then I read this thread and adopted the "hook" technique, with my thumbs just hanging loose. Haven't worn gloves since, and my hands are just fine. There's enough tension that you don't need to HOLD the handle at all- just "hook" it like described, without thumbs.

Cosmic
Paddler

Post by Cosmic » April 7th, 2013, 1:25 pm

I'm pretty new to this, I bought my moodle D in march. After two rows I started getting blisters so I tried using my bicycle gloves. Thin leather, minimal padding, perforated and fingerless. Works great.

Mike

Carl Watts
Marathon Poster

Post by Carl Watts » April 7th, 2013, 5:28 pm

Fingerless cycle gloves, never had a problem with blisters again.

I find the gloves also absorb a considerble amount of sweat and maintain the levels of grip so you less likely to loose that handle.
Carl Watts.
Concept 2 Monitor Service Technician & indoor rower.
http://log.concept2.com/profile/863525/log

Quatroux
6k Poster

Post by Quatroux » April 8th, 2013, 9:19 am

I hope you don't mind if I give you two a hard time. Gloves? You might as well have someone else row for you! :P
Actually, you're likely faster than me, but I don't think you'd survive inside a proper boathouse with gloves on.
Carry on! Happy rowing to you.
-Andy
PaceBoat lurched ahead unforgivingly, mocking his efforts.

Carl Watts
Marathon Poster

Post by Carl Watts » April 9th, 2013, 1:37 am

Quatroux wrote:I hope you don't mind if I give you two a hard time. Gloves? You might as well have someone else row for you! :P
Actually, you're likely faster than me, but I don't think you'd survive inside a proper boathouse with gloves on.
Carry on! Happy rowing to you.
Never been OTW in my life and only set foot in a boathouse to repair the C2 Ergs they had in there and they had far more serious issues than gloves. It would appear that no one knows anything about servicing C2 Ergs and keeping them in race shape !

Yes you can do without gloves, you build up those really rough calluses on your hands instead which personally I don't like as they don't look right with my nail polish :lol:

Generally I find you want to eliminate all sources of pain that you can as it's a distraction and it certainly stuffs your training as much as getting the Flu so a pair of gloves that were left over from my cycling days where just an obvious fix.
Carl Watts.
Concept 2 Monitor Service Technician & indoor rower.
http://log.concept2.com/profile/863525/log

djh
1k Poster

Post by djh » April 9th, 2013, 3:59 pm

Just wondering why nobody's said yet that the answer's on the UK forum!
:lol:
I thought I needed Nike fitness gloves and I was very happy with them for a while. Then, I only needed them every other day. Then, I started phasing them out completely. Now I never use them. And I'm proud of my calluses. When friends ask if I'm still rowing I offer them for inspection. You can't fake those.

Don't know if I really needed the gloves, or if being more patient with blisters would have let me work through them.
Doug
64 yrs/176 cm/74⅞ kg/8400 km
Lifetime: Image

archi
Paddler

Post by archi » November 21st, 2013, 1:09 pm

I know this is an old thread, but if anyone's out there, I'm developing a product that might be of interest to anyone who has problems with blisters, callouses and other hand pains/ailments. I'm doing some market research and gathering a list of potential product testers. If you have time, please respond to a couple of short surveys:

1. rowers' hands survey: http://architela1.polldaddy.com/s/rowin ... sers-hands
2. product interest survey: https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/GD6MPXH

Thanks!

Cyclist2
10k Poster

Post by Cyclist2 » November 22nd, 2013, 2:18 pm

Completed your surveys, but for the forum... The device you describe in the surveymonkey survey would increase the radius of the handle, which would increase the off center pull due to the physical makeup of the hand and wrist that causes the friction on the drive. That would seem to me to increase the problem, not to mention just the larger size of the handle that may be uncomfortable. Until someone comes up with a handle where you can pull directly in line with your wrist to eliminate that 3/4" "moment arm" that causes the friction on the fingers, friction will be present, blisters will develop. That, of course wouldn't work in OTW rowing because you have to feather the oar, which requires that slight moment arm to develop torque to rotate the oar.

I use baseball batting gloves, which are cut to fit around curved shafts and are thin leather, so they work well on the erg handle. I found that sore hands and blisters in general, have subsided since I started using slides on the erg, which reduces the sharp forces at the catch. That sharp little twisting motion due to the 3/4" off-center grip of the fingers around the handle is the main cause, no matter how loosely I grip.
Mark Underwood. Rower first, cyclist too.

fatfitnessguy
Paddler

Post by fatfitnessguy » September 20th, 2018, 7:24 am

I'd tried chalk to help keep my hands dry, but I'm not sure that was effective for anything over a 5k
I'd tried a thin, performance-wear-type wrap ... nope, just got saturated and "sloshy"

I've found, for me and my lovely blisters :/ wristbands to help keep sweat from rolling down to my hands and a steady dose (throughout the day, especially before bed) of Wod Welder has helped tremendously ...
48 male, heavyweight, novice ... working on my 4th million meters

johnlvs2run
Half Marathon Poster

Post by johnlvs2run » September 21st, 2018, 10:18 am

Reverse wrapping the handle with thin nylon socks and gorilla or duct tape, eliminates blisters and makes the handle non slippery.

bikeerg 75 5'8" 155# - 18.5 - 51.9 - 568 - 1:52.7 - 8:03.8 - 20:13.1 - 14620 - 40:58.7 - 28855 - 1:23:48.0
rowerg 56-58 5'8.5" 143# - 1:39.6 - 3:35.6 - 7:24.0 - 18:57.4 - 22:49.9 - 7793 - 38:44.7 - 1:22:48.9 - 2:58:46.2

Cyclist2
10k Poster

Post by Cyclist2 » September 21st, 2018, 10:44 am

Baseball batting or golf gloves.
Mark Underwood. Rower first, cyclist too.

rr0ss0rr
Paddler

Post by rr0ss0rr » September 22nd, 2018, 2:07 pm

I have been using gloves from "thecrewstop.com" .. very minimal gloves that do help.