PM3 retrofit to a Model A

Look here first for answers to common questions
mudman
Paddler

PM3 retrofit to a Model A

Post by mudman » April 10th, 2007, 3:22 pm

Hi, I've had the Model A (dampers? what's a damper, it's naked spinning blades for me) for over 15 years, just moved up to the PM3.

Should I expect that the numbers coming from a PM3 attached to a Model A will be in any way comparable to those from a newer model?

Thanks

Mud

Nosmo
10k Poster

Post by Nosmo » April 10th, 2007, 5:13 pm

Send an email to C2 and find out for sure but...

If the PM3 is set to the correct moment of inertia for the fly wheel it should work just fine. You may get slightly different scores because the machines feel a bit different resulting in you applying power slightly differently and because the chain/freewheel mechanism has a looser catch on the model A.

I bought a model A in '84, upgraded to a B when my (now) step son started rowing in about '90. For years my wife has talked about buying me a new one and I kept telling her the B worked just fine and there is no need for an upgrade. Finally she got me a model D last September for my Birthday. Although the model B was just fine, I definitely enjoy rowing the D more and am erging more as a result.

PaulS
10k Poster

Re: PM3 retrofit to a Model A

Post by PaulS » April 10th, 2007, 8:04 pm

mudman wrote:Hi, I've had the Model A (dampers? what's a damper, it's naked spinning blades for me) for over 15 years, just moved up to the PM3.

Should I expect that the numbers coming from a PM3 attached to a Model A will be in any way comparable to those from a newer model?

Thanks

Mud
As Long as you have about 3 feet of free space surrounding the flywheel (sides and off the end) you will have an equivalence of 500m to what was 1 mile on the Speedo/ODO.

If you don't have that much free area, the PM3 adjusts for that anyway and the numbers are directly comparable to what is being reported on the more modern machines, at least as far as power input is concerned. The Drag Factors don't match up at all and don't even display for the Model A,let's just say they are very high, In the 2000 range IIRC.

Do you still have the old Speedo, in good working condition? And if so, would you be interested in selling it? I would really like to replace one in less than perfect condition on a model A that I still have.
Erg on,
Paul Smith
www.ps-sport.net Your source for Useful Rowing Accessories and Training Assistance.
"If you don't want to know the answer, don't ask me the question."

mudman
Paddler

Post by mudman » April 11th, 2007, 9:16 am

Nosmo wrote:Send an email to C2 and find out for sure but...

If the PM3 is set to the correct moment of inertia for the fly wheel it should work just fine. You may get slightly different scores because the machines feel a bit different resulting in you applying power slightly differently and because the chain/freewheel mechanism has a looser catch on the model A.

I bought a model A in '84, upgraded to a B when my (now) step son started rowing in about '90. For years my wife has talked about buying me a new one and I kept telling her the B worked just fine and there is no need for an upgrade. Finally she got me a model D last September for my Birthday. Although the model B was just fine, I definitely enjoy rowing the D more and am erging more as a result.
thanks Nosmo, I've asked C2, I'll post their reply.

I've used Model D's in gyms, I actually prefer the feel of my A. Maybe I'd adjust.

Mud

mudman
Paddler

Re: PM3 retrofit to a Model A

Post by mudman » April 11th, 2007, 9:23 am

PaulS wrote:As Long as you have about 3 feet of free space surrounding the flywheel (sides and off the end) you will have an equivalence of 500m to what was 1 mile on the Speedo/ODO.
Thanks Paul, the space determines the air resistance for the blades? which impacts the equivalence?
PaulS wrote:Do you still have the old Speedo, in good working condition? And if so, would you be interested in selling it? I would really like to replace one in less than perfect condition on a model A that I still have.
It still works great, I just wanted the PM3 features. You can have it gratis, do you want to send send me your details privately?

Going down to the basement to try my first 500 and 2000 :-)

Mud