Wrist injury, minor

General discussion on Training. How to get better on your erg, how to use your erg to get better at another sport, or anything else about improving your abilities.
hermannjp
Paddler

Wrist injury, minor

Post by hermannjp » September 15th, 2006, 2:09 pm

I was rowing a few days ago and really pushing myself that I think I compromised my technique for performance.

On that very day, my left wrist started hurting and I could feel the restricted rotation and the minor sensation of pain.

Since thence, I have only been rowing lightly in order to gradually alleviate an 'injury' I suspect I have caused to myself.

Do you have any advice on this? Should I keep rowing, intensively? or should I allow for more time in order for this slight injury to cool off?

ulu
2k Poster

Post by ulu » September 16th, 2006, 12:54 am

If it persists, you should see a health care provider.

In the interim, you may find this interesting. It is fairly common in rowers/paddlers.

DeQuervain's

Hope this helps, and hope you are better.

Jim
Jim
[url=http://67.199.38.245/c2coastal/]Eh!Team ROWING THE COAST of the WORLD[/url] <--- click here

LJWagner
1k Poster

Post by LJWagner » September 17th, 2006, 10:56 am

Row again a watch your wrists. I got a case of wrist tendonitis just once. Somehow I managed to move my grip slightly so that my wrists was no longer straight, and I was gripping too hard to let it slip into a natural straight position as I rowed.

The solution was to re-adjust my grip so when pulling, the wrist is not bent up or down. Problem went away in a day, but I had it about a week.

Tendonititis is an overuse injury, typically something from suddenly you do more than before, and/or differently.
Do your warm-ups, and cooldown, its not for you, its for your heart ! Live long, and row forever !
( C2 model A 1986 )

hermannjp
Paddler

Post by hermannjp » September 18th, 2006, 12:54 pm

Thank you ulu and LJ Wagner for your insightful comments.

I am taking it easy with my rowing, it has been this way for about a week or so, the pain has almost dissipated but has yet to completely diminish.

I am taking the kind advice from LJ Wagner, as I had previously suspected, and looking for flaws with my technique, paying close attention to my grip and the position of wrists at the end of the drive.

Thank you again for your time and attention.

Alissa
2k Poster

Post by Alissa » September 18th, 2006, 1:14 pm

You might also find something useful in this thread from the old (but not the old-old) forum. While it started with a discussion of pain in the palm it ended up with some good suggestions (from LJWagner among others!) about grip and technique.

Best wishes.

Alissa

LJWagner
1k Poster

Post by LJWagner » September 18th, 2006, 7:36 pm

Its not the grip at the end of the drive, its when you have the most strain, using the legs and back to pull from the catch onwards.

Adjust your grip so the wrists are straight across the top to your knuckles when you pull.
Do your warm-ups, and cooldown, its not for you, its for your heart ! Live long, and row forever !
( C2 model A 1986 )