Self-assessment of Indoor Rowing Technique

General discussion on Training. How to get better on your erg, how to use your erg to get better at another sport, or anything else about improving your abilities.

How is your technique?

I know it's good!
18%
I think it's pretty good...
42%
I don't know if it's good or bad.
28%
I suspect it's bad...
9%
I know it's bad!
4%

Total votes: 57

Alissa
2k Poster

Self-assessment of Indoor Rowing Technique

Post by Alissa » August 21st, 2006, 5:00 pm

Just for Tyn...

I seem to recall that some very large percentage of drivers (60-70%?) consider themselves to have better-than-average driving skills.

Granted this poll will be limited to those who post on this forum (self-selected for a higher level of interest in at least talking about indoor rowing), but let's see what people think of their own indoor rowing technique. :D

Alissa

Tyn
10k Poster

Post by Tyn » August 21st, 2006, 5:04 pm

Thanks Alissa,
I love your Poll
Tyn

M42H

"We keep you alive to serve this ship. So row well and live."

"Nobody move! I've dropped me brain!"

Citroen
SpamTeam

Post by Citroen » August 21st, 2006, 7:14 pm

You missed a question (for Prof. Cureton).

I think I can row a World record, the rest of the community think not.

Rockin Roland
5k Poster

Post by Rockin Roland » August 22nd, 2006, 7:24 pm

It doesn't really matter.

Rowing on the erg is more about guts than spunk.
You don't need that much in the way of technique to go fast on the erg. There are a lot of people on this forum that try and put too much science into erging. Don't waste your time.

Whatever is comfortable for you to apply the power is all that matters.

It's nothing like being in a boat. I've noticed that some of the top guys (realtive to age groups) on the water, would struggle to pull the the skin off a custard, when they get on a erg. Likewise, many with good results on the erg struggle to impress on the water.

On the erg you just get on the thing and row where as in a boat it's not that simple.
PBs: 2K 6:13.4, 5K 16:32, 6K 19:55, 10K 33:49, 30min 8849m, 60min 17,309m
Caution: Static C2 ergs can ruin your technique and timing for rowing in a boat.
The best thing I ever did to improve my rowing was to sell my C2 and get a Rowperfect.

TomR
6k Poster

Post by TomR » August 22nd, 2006, 9:48 pm

A good poll. I would recommend another category: My technique is Quirky.

If you look at videos of indoor races, you see all sorts of curious styles--the granny grab, handle pulled to the chin, a flick of the wrrist at the catch. Perhaps these are "bad." I prefer to think of them as distinctive.

For example, my stroke is somehow diagonal. At the catch, I am slightly left-of-center and at the finish slightly right-of-center. My upper body travels on a slight bias, while the seat goes perfectly straight along the rail. I cannot account for this. Could it be caused by the earth's rotation?

Tom

Bob S.
Marathon Poster

Post by Bob S. » August 22nd, 2006, 11:08 pm

TomR wrote:A good poll. I would recommend another category: My technique is Quirky.

Could it be caused by the earth's rotation?

Tom
Ah, yes - the Coriolus (sp?) force. Kidding, of course, but if it really were, it is interesting to speculate on whether or not a 180 degree reversal of the erg position would result in a reversal of the bias. Or a switch between the Northern and Southern hemispheres.

Bob S.

P.S. I don't know if my erg technique could be described as quirky, but I suspect that some would apply it to a description of my mental processes.

Tyn
10k Poster

Post by Tyn » August 23rd, 2006, 3:44 am

Ah, yes - the Coriolus (sp?) force. Kidding, of course, but if it really were, it is interesting to speculate on whether or not a 180 degree reversal of the erg position would result in a reversal of the bias. Or a switch between the Northern and Southern hemispheres.

Bob S.
Being on spaceship, not rotating and going approx warp 0.9, could solve his problem i think!
Tyn

M42H

"We keep you alive to serve this ship. So row well and live."

"Nobody move! I've dropped me brain!"

TPMcT
Paddler

Post by TPMcT » August 23rd, 2006, 2:45 pm

TomR wrote:A good poll. I would recommend another category: My technique is Quirky.

If you look at videos of indoor races, you see all sorts of curious styles--the granny grab, handle pulled to the chin, a flick of the wrrist at the catch. Perhaps these are "bad." I prefer to think of them as distinctive.

For example, my stroke is somehow diagonal. At the catch, I am slightly left-of-center and at the finish slightly right-of-center. My upper body travels on a slight bias, while the seat goes perfectly straight along the rail. I cannot account for this. Could it be caused by the earth's rotation?

Tom
Tom,

That's not a rowing stroke. That's the evolution of political belief of those of a certain age. :roll: Either that, or you're mentally rowing starboard on the erg.
Tim McTighe

TomR
6k Poster

Post by TomR » August 24th, 2006, 5:50 pm

TPMcT wrote:
TomR wrote: For example, my stroke is somehow diagonal. At the catch, I am slightly left-of-center and at the finish slightly right-of-center. Tom
Tom,

That's not a rowing stroke. That's the evolution of political belief of those of a certain age. :roll:
Tim,

A wonderful observation. It does not entirely hold in my case, but the erg as metaphor is promising ground. I keep trying to escape the obvious fact that while on it, we are rowing to nowhere.

Tom

flan48
Paddler

Technique

Post by flan48 » September 4th, 2006, 7:34 am

I try to maintain so-called "classic" technique so as to maximize effcient muscle usage and aerobic benefit, while minimizing, hopefully(!), risk of injury.
Best regards
Barry
Barry
65, 5'6",172 Lbs.
Exercise for life!