Favorite Workouts!

General discussion on Training. How to get better on your erg, how to use your erg to get better at another sport, or anything else about improving your abilities.
saucecmu40
Paddler

Favorite Workouts!

Post by saucecmu40 » April 24th, 2006, 6:44 pm

I'm always looking for creative workouts and old favorites to help keep me motivated while on the erg. Anybody care to throw any out there? My favorite at the moment is to warmup, then do a 6k, with a 100m sprint every 500m, then cool down. For example, hold normal pace for 400 m, then sprint at a split of about 8 secs/500 faster for 100 m and repeat for 6k! Not only do I find that this keeps me interested and concentrating the whole time, it also has helped me lower my overall time...

ackkac
Paddler

Post by ackkac » May 13th, 2006, 10:23 pm

I understand what you are saying, erging can sometimes be a little boring and it is good to mix it up. My coach gave us a few workouts to mix it up...

you do 4 1000 m pieces

the first one you do a start just like you would do in the race...20 strokes with a strait back at like a 42 then after that settle down to a 34

the next piece do the whole thing at a 36

for the 3rd piece start at a 34-36 then with 500 m left sprint at a 38 then with 250 m left go up to a 40-42

for the last piece do the whole thing at a 28 for a cool down

also to substitude for the last thing you could do a 2000 or a 5k at a 28

when you are on the erg you are your own coxswain...set goals for your self on the erg for example you could say to your self that you won't go above a 2:05 split... and on the sprint you could say to yourself that you can't go above a 2:00 split
if you see your split going up and you feel like your getting tired say to yourself that you are going to take a power 10

modivation to keep your split down will help pass the time