Define Rest

read only section for reference and search purposes.
[old] spaddy

Training

Post by [old] spaddy » February 6th, 2006, 12:48 pm

I was reading through the manual at the different workouts and they use the term rest for interval work. Does rest meat stop rowing and wait for a bit and restart or take easy and continue rowing until the next interval begins?

[old] PaulS

Training

Post by [old] PaulS » February 6th, 2006, 2:11 pm

<!--QuoteBegin-spaddy+Feb 6 2006, 08:48 AM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(spaddy @ Feb 6 2006, 08:48 AM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin-->I was reading through the manual at the different workouts and they use the term rest for interval work.  Does rest meat stop rowing and wait for a bit and restart or take easy and continue rowing until the next interval begins? <br /> </td></tr></table><br /><br />It can be done in either way you suggest above, the terms normally applied are:<br /><br />Passive Rest: Stop until the beginning of the next interval.<br />Active Rest: Continue with the activity, but at a very easy effort level.<br /><br />I'd suggest trying both and determining which suits you the best. I tend to prefer passive rest periods for myself, but some prefer active rest. Whichever is chosen, the main thing would be to stay consistent so that results can be compared as training progresses.

[old] RowTheSouth

Training

Post by [old] RowTheSouth » February 6th, 2006, 9:31 pm

THe only thing that I don't like about passive rest is that it hurts more to begin the next interval, rather than if you continued rowing at an easy level.

[old] TabbRows

Training

Post by [old] TabbRows » February 10th, 2006, 12:09 pm

In Track, interval means the rest phase and that's typically jogging, then building up the last 20 meters or so to your workout or target pace at the start of the set/rep. Starting "cold" on the erg will lower your overall workout time slightly.<br />Long periods( 5-8 minutes of rest) at lower rates can have an overall energy draining effect on later sets/reps. For these periods, I generally slow down for 10-15 seconds, stop and make any equipment adjustments, i.e., retighten straps, reseat buttocks, grab a quick drink of water, etc., then go back to east rowing (sub 2:30 pace) until 30-40 seconds before the next set at which time if I have to readjust straps, I do so, but start rwoing again at least 20 seconds before the start time to build up to the pace. Not that my workout pace is all that fast. This works for me and my final set is usually as strong as my first set.<br /><br />For shorter intervals, I stop, readjust and then continue to row at easy pace building up just before the start of the next set.<br />