Static vs Dynamic for weight loss and fitness

Rowing for weight loss or weight control? Start here.
tpk
Paddler

Static vs Dynamic for weight loss and fitness

Post by tpk » August 23rd, 2014, 9:59 pm

I am about to buy either a Model D, but perhaps a dynamic machine (maybe Concept2's but maybe another). Relevant points:
  1. My primary goal is weight loss (I could easily lose 100lbs and still have a little more to go) and general fitness
  2. A secondary goal is to strengthen and increase flexibility in my lower back. I have a repaired disc injury and my surgeon has told me I can do whatever exercise I like, provided I can tolerate the discomfort. In other words, I am no more likely inclined to do further injury than any other person. But I am very stiff and would like to improve my bending strength and flexibility
  3. The chances of me ever actually rowing on water are pretty much zero
My inclination is to just go for the Model D. I owned one in the past, and am familiar with using it. And since weight loss is my primary objective, I wondered if the fact that the whole body moves with the static machine makes it more useful (vs the dynamic where the overall body moves less). My impression of the static machine is that it comes into its own if you're using the machine to train for on the water, in which case it's more close to the actual rowing technique, and rewards/punishes you if get that right/wrong. I've also heard that it is less hard on the lower back, but as I say I'm not at any particular risk in that respect, and if anything I *need* to get my back worked out.

But, any opinions before I write my check?
Thanks.

hjs
Marathon Poster

Re: Static vs Dynamic for weight loss and fitness

Post by hjs » August 24th, 2014, 5:52 am

For movement is does not matter much. For weightloss either could be used. You simply need a lot of work. 100 lbs is lots and lots of hours on the machine.

The D is a bit better for cooling, you move more.

The static lets you rate higher easier.

The D is easier to carry and to store if needed. The static is mostly for otw rowers. You at proberly better of with a D.

tpk
Paddler

Post by tpk » August 27th, 2014, 5:31 pm

hjs wrote:100 lbs is lots and lots of hours on the machine.
Ya don't say! :-)
For me, rowing is intended to act as a psychological boost in the primary task of controlling my food intake. I find that when I exercise I get into some kind of "my body is a temple" mode, and then when the munchies strike, I can more easily resist. The trouble is simply persisting with that mentality. Once more unto the breach an' all that.

tpk

Carl Watts
Marathon Poster

Post by Carl Watts » August 27th, 2014, 6:08 pm

Either will work but I would still go static, its a rugged machine and the fan in front with airflow is better.

The main thing is that you actually use it ! not which type you use.

Good luck.
Carl Watts.
Concept 2 Monitor Service Technician & indoor rower.
http://log.concept2.com/profile/863525/log

Dickie
1k Poster

Post by Dickie » August 28th, 2014, 2:30 pm

tpk wrote:I am about to buy either a Model D, but perhaps a dynamic machine (maybe Concept2's but maybe another). Relevant points:
  1. My primary goal is weight loss (I could easily lose 100lbs and still have a little more to go) and general fitness
  2. A secondary goal is to strengthen and increase flexibility in my lower back. I have a repaired disc injury and my surgeon has told me I can do whatever exercise I like, provided I can tolerate the discomfort. In other words, I am no more likely inclined to do further injury than any other person. But I am very stiff and would like to improve my bending strength and flexibility
  3. The chances of me ever actually rowing on water are pretty much zero
My inclination is to just go for the Model D. I owned one in the past, and am familiar with using it. And since weight loss is my primary objective, I wondered if the fact that the whole body moves with the static machine makes it more useful (vs the dynamic where the overall body moves less). My impression of the static machine is that it comes into its own if you're using the machine to train for on the water, in which case it's more close to the actual rowing technique, and rewards/punishes you if get that right/wrong. I've also heard that it is less hard on the lower back, but as I say I'm not at any particular risk in that respect, and if anything I *need* to get my back worked out.

But, any opinions before I write my check?
Thanks.
I think the relevant point above it that you may be no more likely to do further injury. But why take that chance? I have been a weightlifter most of my life, I have a strong and injury free back. But as I age and after 23,000,000 meters, my back is starting to feel the strain. I own a model C and train on an 'E' at the gym, but I am thinking it's time to consider a dynamic.

Fred Dickie
Fred Dickie
66 yo 173cm 103kg

Medical issues behind me, I hope to race again this year

tpk
Paddler

Post by tpk » August 29th, 2014, 9:06 pm

Dickie wrote: I think the relevant point above it that you may be no more likely to do further injury. But why take that chance? I have been a weightlifter most of my life, I have a strong and injury free back. But as I age and after 23,000,000 meters, my back is starting to feel the strain. I own a model C and train on an 'E' at the gym, but I am thinking it's time to consider a dynamic.

Fred Dickie
And so you think the difference in terms of back strain is particularly pronounced -- static versus dynamic? Or are they both dodgy? I mean, I guess the more general question is, is all rowing inherently a risk for one's back, and in which case is there a better (inside) general purpose exercise, especially given that a key criterion for the overweight person is to avoid joint pounding?

Thing is, my current feeling is that one thing I can do to help my back is to work it. For example, I've found that whenever I do weight training, especially dead-lift (not big weights by any standard), I actually feel it helps my back. I suspect it's building the muscles around my desiccated discs, thereby helping minimize things shifting around and impinging on nerves etc. (Or, alternatively, it's just that dead-lifting makes me sore all over, to the extent that it "drowns out" my back-specific pain :-) ) Of course rowing involves a much longer duration of back movement, and perhaps with less control exerted on that movement, so maybe that makes it more risky? Shrug.

tpk
Paddler

Post by tpk » August 29th, 2014, 9:39 pm

hjs wrote:The static lets you rate higher easier.
Rate?

Carl Watts
Marathon Poster

Post by Carl Watts » August 29th, 2014, 10:44 pm

tpk wrote:
hjs wrote:The static lets you rate higher easier.
Rate?
Rating or SPM or strokes per minute, all the same thing. The heavier you are the more of an advantage your going to have on the Dynamic becasue your not having to move your bodyweight up and down the slide. The losses in doing this start to become significant at higher ratings. The higher the rating and the slower the pace to worse it becomes in terms of a percentage in wasted energy.
Carl Watts.
Concept 2 Monitor Service Technician & indoor rower.
http://log.concept2.com/profile/863525/log