Lower Back "tightness" - As Opposed To Pain

read only section for reference and search purposes.
[old] mpukita

Training

Post by [old] mpukita » November 19th, 2005, 5:45 pm

Friends:<br /><br />I have been plagued by lower back "tightness" on longer rows -- 10K+.<br /><br />Remembering some of the "reciprocal muscle" theory and therapy I got from a Physical Therapist when I had some neck/nerve issues a year or so ago, I began to stretch more extensively on the ball to open up my chest.<br /><br />It helped, but more as symptom relief than a cure.<br /><br />I then remembered the therapist telling me about nerve issues in the neck and back, and that pressure or constriction across the back could cause some fatigue spasms), pain, or weakness because of the number and density of nerves leaving the spinal cord for other areas of the body.<br /><br />I had been wearing a heart rate monitor pickup belt around my chest to allow the C2 to record my heart rate during workouts. I wanted to see if this had any impact on the fatigue I was feeling in the lower back. So, I stopped wearing it for the past week or two.<br /><br />Now, absolutely no fatigue or pain whatsoever.<br /><br />I'm going to try rowing with it on this week to see what happens.<br /><br />Has anyone else had any experience like this?<br /><br />Thanks -- Mark

[old] rspenger

Training

Post by [old] rspenger » November 19th, 2005, 6:16 pm

<!--QuoteBegin-mpukita+Nov 19 2005, 02:45 PM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(mpukita @ Nov 19 2005, 02:45 PM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin-->Friends:<br />I have been plagued by lower back "tightness" on longer rows -- 10K+.<br />I had been wearing a heart rate monitor pickup belt around my chest to allow the C2 to record my heart rate during workouts.  I wanted to see if this had any impact on the fatigue I was feeling in the lower back.  So, I stopped wearing it for the past week or two.<br />Now, absolutely no fatigue or pain whatsoever.<br />Has anyone else had any experience like this?<br />Thanks -- Mark <br /> </td></tr></table><br /><br />The heart monitor belt has never bothered my back, but it is definitely irritating in front where it rubs against the sternum wire bumps. It is also a nuisance when there is a lot of sweat and it starts slipping down.<br /><br />Bob S.<br />

[old] Jamie

Training

Post by [old] Jamie » November 19th, 2005, 6:41 pm

Mark: Perhaps there could be other variales at work than just not using your hrm. I've had a few operations on my my bkie this year because of a non-rowing injury. The operations helped some, but I still have pain my back, glutes, hamstring and sole of my foot. I've tried everything possible to reduce the problems and let me start training again -- well, not everything: I still use my hrm. <br /><br />I have had some luck with a seat pad. I've found more relief, though, from lowering my foot position down one slot. <br /><br />Try these and other ideas before you eschew your helpful (and expensive) hrm. I'm sure many posters on these boards have had back/hamstring pain and burning. We can all profit from their experiences. <br /><br />Feel better. At least your Buckeyes won today.<br /><br />-Jamie

[old] John Rupp

Training

Post by [old] John Rupp » November 19th, 2005, 6:47 pm

The heart rate monitor strap can definitely cause strains in your upper back.<br /><br />I took the strap off mine and replaced it with a solid elastic strap that I double loop through the front, so there are no hard adjustment pieces in the back.<br /><br />Pain in your lower back is probably caused by bending at your lower back instead of rotating from your hips.

[old] mpukita

Training

Post by [old] mpukita » November 19th, 2005, 9:52 pm

<!--QuoteBegin-Jamie+Nov 19 2005, 06:41 PM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(Jamie @ Nov 19 2005, 06:41 PM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin--><br />At least your Buckeyes won today.<br /><br />-Jamie <br /> </td></tr></table><br /><br />Yes they did, didn't they?<br /><br /> <br /><br /><a href='http://www.ohiostatebuckeyes.com/' target='_blank'>http://www.ohiostatebuckeyes.com/</a>