First Ever Virtual Team Challenge

read only section for reference and search purposes.
[old] c2bill

First Virtual Team Challenge

Post by [old] c2bill » December 15th, 2005, 5:07 pm

As some of you know, we have a sort of 'team challenge' already in place - associated with the university / club standings page. In addition to this annual honor board we've also been experimenting with a true 'team' site -which allows a designated team captain to add/delete members, add/edit log entries and view the standings pages in a more flexible fashion.<br /><br />An email is being sent out to all ranking members shortly - but a preview follows:<br /><br />Please post questions here...<br /><br />................>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>............................................<br /><br />Introducing: the first Virtual Team Rowing Challenge – January 2006<br /><br />We invite you to join the first international online Virtual Team Rowing Challenge, to be held during the month of January 2006.<br /><br />Form a virtual team of friends, family, co-workers, old schoolmates or rowing teammates and join the fun. Or join an existing team.<br /><br />The challenge is simply to collectively row as many meters as you can. Each team member contributes meters to the total – it doesn’t matter how fast or slow you row.<br /><br />Teams choose to enter one of the following divisions: health club, rowing club, <br /><br /><span style='color:red'><u><b><edit> Team can choose to enter any of several divisions - including health club, rowing club, virtual team, etc.</b></u></span><br />Prizes will include downloadable certificates and downloadable heat transfers for making T-shirts. In addition, team standings in all divisions will be posted online throughout the duration of the challenge.<br /><br />To create a new team, or to add an existing team to the competition please have your team captain only e-mail denah@concept2.com.

[old] Bufflehead

Post by [old] Bufflehead » December 16th, 2005, 4:28 pm

So - Bill, let me get this right. This sounds like a great idea! If I'm reading this correctly, our team would need to notify Dena that we are participating. Does that sound about right?<br /><br />Thanks,<br />Buffle

[old] ulu

Post by [old] ulu » December 17th, 2005, 1:49 am

So can an existing virtual team join this, or does it have to be a completely new virtual team.<br /><br />Thanx<br /><br />Jim

[old] chrisa770

Post by [old] chrisa770 » December 17th, 2005, 8:12 am

I think it would be a great idea for a team challenge, but instead of having to row aimlessly for hours base the results on a nonathlon type scoring system. I realise this would make scoring more difficult, but would spice up the regimen. I don't have 5 or 6 hours a day to row as some people seem to have, therefore I try to strive for quality rather than quantity.

[old] danwho

Post by [old] danwho » December 17th, 2005, 11:08 am

Sounds like fun. I guess I'm ready to join a virtual team.<br />'Ducks in a Row' sounds like a lot of fun, but I think I find the membership requirements a bit daunting.

[old] holladay

Post by [old] holladay » December 17th, 2005, 1:50 pm

Here's my understanding...<br /><br />1) We need a team captain.<br />2) The captain builds a "virtual" team. <br />3) People join the team. This is different from the Club/University standings.<br />From my understanding chosing to row on the virtual team for the January challenge does not mean you have to stop participating in your club/university.<br />4) not everybody who is a "member in the club/univeristy" is automatically part of the team.<br /><br />If you want to row in the virtual challenge, you have to be added to the January team manually by the team captain. <br /><br /><span style='color:red'>Question: Need more explicit explaination regarding team membership. Is my understanding under #3 & #4 correct? If I start team "Yellow Racers" can I still keep my allegence to my virtual team under club/university standing or am I changing that allegence to the new "January" team??</span><br /><br />Susan

[old] c2bill

Post by [old] c2bill » December 18th, 2005, 9:59 am

For the past few years i've been working on a dedicated 'team' module for the ranking - this is completely separate from the 'university/club standings' stuff - so your membership in ducks in a row or ancient mariners doesn't have any bearing on your 'team' for this challenge.<br /><br />the challenge is based purely on meters - sorry - but at this time there isn't any way to weigh meters.<br /><br />a team captain has the ability to add or delete members from the team - no individual team member can do this on his/her own.<br /><br />The team captain (only) begins by putting the word 'virtual' in their online profile 'message for others to see'. this opens up the team module within the logbook. under this panel will be the 'create a new team' link - this allows for the creation of the team.<br /><br />once the team skeleton has been created, the team manager can either add 'quick new profiles' or LINK an existing profile to the team. IF your team mate already has an existing profile and is using the logbook you MUST link the profile - this way your team mate will enter meters into their own log just as usual -and the meters will count automatically towards the team total.<br /><br />Give it a try and please continue to post questions here.<br /><br />-bill<br /><br /><!--QuoteBegin-holladay+Dec 17 2005, 12:50 PM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(holladay @ Dec 17 2005, 12:50 PM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin-->Here's my understanding...<br /><br />1) We need a team captain.<br />2) The captain builds a "virtual" team. <br />3) People join the team. This is different from the Club/University standings.<br />From my understanding chosing to row on the virtual team for the January challenge does not mean you have to stop participating in your club/university.<br />4) not everybody who is a "member in the club/univeristy" is automatically part of the team.<br /><br />If you want to row in the virtual challenge, you have to be added to the January team manually by the team captain. <br /><br /><span style='color:red'>Question: Need more explicit explaination regarding team membership. Is my understanding under #3 & #4 correct? If I start team "Yellow Racers" can I still keep my allegence to my virtual team under club/university standing or am I changing that allegence to the new "January" team??</span><br /><br />Susan <br /> </td></tr></table><br />

[old] coxylady1123

Post by [old] coxylady1123 » December 18th, 2005, 10:02 am

Question: For team ranking purposes, are the meters averaged for each participant, or are they all added up (meaning an advantage for more participants)?<br /><br />Thanks!

[old] Annabassand

Post by [old] Annabassand » December 18th, 2005, 10:53 am

<!--QuoteBegin-coxylady1123+Dec 18 2005, 03:02 PM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(coxylady1123 @ Dec 18 2005, 03:02 PM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin-->Question:  For team ranking purposes, are the meters averaged for each participant, or are they all added up (meaning an advantage for more participants)?<br /><br />Thanks! <br /> </td></tr></table><br /><br />Sounds like fun. I guess I will now have to start looking for a team to join....<br /><br />/Anna

[old] holladay

Post by [old] holladay » December 18th, 2005, 12:05 pm

I think it would be fun to have "two winners".<br />1) team with the most meters rowed<br />2) team with the highest average meters rowed<br /><br />Have any teams been created yet? Where will we see the standings?<br /><br />Susan

[old] holladay

Post by [old] holladay » December 18th, 2005, 4:49 pm

NEXT Question:<br /><br />Do all the team members log their meters in their own logbook just like we do for the HC?? The instructions said something about each member creating a profile and then provide the captain with the last, first names and profile name.<br /><br />SO I am confused? Do the participants need to do something different from our normal updating of our on-line log book?<br /><br />Susan

[old] ulu

Post by [old] ulu » December 18th, 2005, 8:59 pm

<i>"Do all the team members log their meters in their own logbook just like we do for the HC?? The instructions said something about each member creating a profile and then provide the captain with the last, first names and profile name.<br /><br />SO I am confused? Do the participants need to do something different from our normal updating of our on-line log book?<br /><br />Susan</i><br /><br />I have created a team as per the directions and here is my understanding of it so far.<br /><br />1. The team captain creates the team and adds members.<br />2. Members can add their own meters, the way they usually do, and these meters will automatically be added to the team meters<br /><br />AND/OR the team captain can add the meters for the members. (There is a quick link on the team captains page to do this)<br /><br />3. It does not influence existing teams. Like the ducks in a row team, still has meters tallied to their virtual team, but this is a DIFFERENT team for virtual challenges.<br /><br /><br /><a href='http://216.119.121.169/Cross%20Canada%20Row/index.htm' target='_blank'>The Eh!Team </a>is currently rowing across Canada and we plan on rowing across the Atlantic for the January virtual challenge.<br /><br />So if any of you ducks want to join us <a href='http://216.119.121.169/Cross%20Canada%20Row/contact.htm' target='_blank'>send me</a> your:<br /><br /><span style='color:blue'>First Name<br />Last Name<br />email address<br /></span><br />that are associated with your concept2 profile and we can make it across the Atlantic together.<br /><br /><b><span style='font-size:14pt;line-height:100%'>Remember this does not influence your DIAR meters. They still go to you!</span></b><br /><br />Hope this helps, and hope you can join us.<br /><br />Jim and the Eh!Team

[old] Citroen

Post by [old] Citroen » December 19th, 2005, 8:36 pm

<!--QuoteBegin-c2bill+Dec 18 2005, 01:59 PM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(c2bill @ Dec 18 2005, 01:59 PM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin-->a team captain has the ability to add or delete members from the team - no individual team member can do this on his/her own.<br /><br />The team captain (only) begins by putting the word 'virtual' in their online profile 'message for others to see'. this opens up the team module within the logbook. under this panel will be the 'create a new team' link - this allows for the creation of the team. <br /> </td></tr></table><br /><br />How do you know who's the team captain?<br />Who is it for Taff Attack, for example?

c2denah

Post by c2denah » December 20th, 2005, 10:23 am

Hello all! Thanks for all the questions. So far we have the following teams signed up for this challenge:<br /><br />Dave Drabic Crew Chiefs<br />Brobekk dusj & badstu<br />ROLOs<br />Doon the watter<br />McDowell Tribe<br />GEORGETOWN<br />damd<br />Mendota Rowing Club<br />TRC - Tallahassee Rowing Club<br />The Eh!Team <br />Churchmen<br />Ladies of the Lake (OAR) <br />Team RIC<br />Dead Otter Rowing Club<br />Western Cape<br />Greenbank<br />NFRS <br /><br />If any of the captains from the above teams are looking for members (such as The Eh!Team in the previous posting), please use this forum to announce it. I know that some teams are rather closed teams, such as the McDowell Tribe - this is a private family team. The Mendota Rowing Club is for rowers who belong to the club. <br /><br />To answer specific questions:<br /><br />Bufflehead: There is no need to email me directly. Not sure why that was in the original post. You can simply follow the direction detailed on the www.concept2.com/virtual page to make yourself a team captain and then continue to follow the instructions on that same page to add team members to your team.<br /><br />Ulu: You're on the right track. I like that you've "advertised" for more members. Everything you assumed in your posting is correct.<br /><br />Holladay: You've got it right as well. Once you're on a team, all you need to do is log your meters as usual and the meters will be added to the teams totals. Once you're on a team, you will see an additional link for "Teams" in the orange bar at the top of your logbook page. When you click on this link, you will see notes showing what team you are on as well as a link which takes you to the Team Standings page. The Team Standings page shows you the progress of all the teams in the challenge.<br /><br />coxylady1123: There will definitely be a downloadable certificate for members of the team who have rowed the most meters collectively. Ther may also be a certificate for members of the team with the greatest average number of meters rowed. We also may have a special way to "honor" the winning team. Stay tuned for more on this.<br /><br />citroen: I don't see that Taff Attack has signed up for the challenge yet, so they don't have a team captain at this point. Is there a point person for that team in the University Standings? If so, you may want to contact them.<br /><br />I will keep trying to answer your questions as I see them. I'm really glad to see so much enthusiasm! This will be a great challenge!<br /><br />Dena @ C2

[old] Citroen

Post by [old] Citroen » December 20th, 2005, 12:01 pm

<!--QuoteBegin-c2denah+Dec 20 2005, 02:23 PM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(c2denah @ Dec 20 2005, 02:23 PM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin-->citroen: I don't see that Taff Attack has signed up for the challenge yet, so they don't have a team captain at this point. Is there a point person for that team in the University Standings? If so, you may want to contact them.<br /> </td></tr></table><br /><br />That's my problem, I'm quite happy to act as team captain for this challenge. But I can't see how to do it on my profile. There's no option!<br /><br /><!--QuoteBegin-c2denah+Dec 20 2005, 02:23 PM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(c2denah @ Dec 20 2005, 02:23 PM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin-->Is there a point person ...<br /> </td></tr></table><br /><br />Sorry, I don't understand what you mean by that.<br /><br />Could you assign me as Taff Attack Challenge Captain? My ranking id # is 142454.