Spm

read only section for reference and search purposes.
[old] gorow9

Training

Post by [old] gorow9 » April 7th, 2005, 7:27 pm

Whenever I see people mention that they row at 30 or above spm I start to wonder how!!! I can't even row at that high of an spm if I try... and if I get it, it's when I'm doing the pic drill on the erg. <br /><br />Just curious is that normal (not to be able to go that fast) or what?<br />~Sara~

[old] bsemaiktehr

Training

Post by [old] bsemaiktehr » April 7th, 2005, 10:59 pm

Because you are limited in your ability to pull the chain by the resistance to some extent, the easiest way to row higher ratings is to increase the speed of your recovery.<br /><br />While it is usually good to get up the slide quickly, make sure you are still doing so at a controlled speed.<br /><br />I've found that the highest rating I can get to is about a 40

[old] starboardrigged1seat

Training

Post by [old] starboardrigged1seat » April 7th, 2005, 11:48 pm

<!--QuoteBegin-bsemaiktehr+Apr 7 2005, 09:59 PM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(bsemaiktehr @ Apr 7 2005, 09:59 PM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin-->I've found that the highest rating I can get to is about a 40 <br /> </td></tr></table><br />Well, then....you're just not trying hard enoug!! :-D. <br />Just kidding, folks. I've found that the easiest way to get better at rowing at higher ratings is to just do the lower rating stuff consistently, and do one or two higher rating pieces every 2 or 3 weeks. It just comes with time, I think.

[old] CrewGal07

Training

Post by [old] CrewGal07 » April 8th, 2005, 8:14 am

Sara babe! <br /><br />When you say that you can't get above a 20 (which is good, because it means you must have GORGEOUS ratio between your drive and slide), do you go at that pace for races, too? I'm really interested if you do, if that technique works, our team could definately use that. Our team tends to lose some of their strength and control at higher SPMs. I know that for races, we usually move from a 42, then settle into a 28, then we sprint at a 32-38. But we do better, usually, when we settle at (relatively) lower cadences.<br /><br />Good luck everyone with your seasons! SPRING'S FINALLY HERE!!!!!! *does yoga sun worship* lol jk<br /><br />Love y'all oh so much<br />Lyd

[old] John Rupp

Training

Post by [old] John Rupp » April 8th, 2005, 11:16 am

It is more difficult to get the technique right at higher ratings, just as on the bicycle and running, because flaws that don't show up at slow rates - do show up when you're rating much faster.<br /><br />An easy way to learn higher ratings is to row a certain meters per stroke, for example the same mps as your races. On the pm2, depending on your speed, keep every stroke at 10, 9 (hw), 8 (lwt) or 7.1 meters per stroke, the latter being 7 strokes each 50 meters.<br /><br />Instead of mps you can row by spm, for example start by rowing steady at 30 spm, where you just take 1 stroke every 2 seconds. Since there is no meters countdown on the pm3, your only option is the seconds or spm display or else use a metronome. You'll need to calculate what your spm would be at various speeds, based on the same mps. After getting used to 30 spm, then go to 3 strokes every 5 seconds at higher speeds, which is 36 spm. By this time your coordination should be developing so you can maintain these rates any time.<br /><br />Personally I would at least do some rowing at your given (race) meters per stroke every day, although this can be at slower speeds, and you could practice a little of the higher rates every day too, or a minimum of twice a week depending how you like to put your program together.

[old] Pete Marston

Training

Post by [old] Pete Marston » April 8th, 2005, 12:17 pm

As others have eluded to, there's no point increasing the rate for the same of it - you need a corresponding increase in pace too. There are many ways to increase the rate - make the drive faster, make the recovery faster, or make the whole stroke shorter - are the main three. Which to do depends on the desired effect - what you are wanting to achieve.<br /><br />It's quite easy to row at 80spm, just don't use your legs at all. Pointless, but easy. If I flat out sprint I go fastest at around 60spm. I race 500's at around 48spm, 1k's at around 40spm, and 2k's at around 35spm.

[old] gorow9

Training

Post by [old] gorow9 » April 12th, 2005, 7:45 pm

Thanks for the adivice,<br /><br />I find that it's hard to speed up the recovery and keep a good form and seperation and stroke ratio ect...<br /><br />Also when I'm on the water and it's not a really nasty day like this season has been so far I tend to row around 30 spm or if I'm in an eight/four/quad I'm usually stroking so it stays about the same, to answer your question Lyd, in races we tend to go around 35spm and row long and hard strokes (if I'm stroking) it seems to work pretty well.<br /><br />Thanks again for your advice.<br />~Sara

[old] allapologies916

Training

Post by [old] allapologies916 » April 13th, 2005, 9:37 am

yes, the easiest way to speed up the rate is on the recovery, but then your ratio is going to be shot... The best way to speed up the rate is through the drive. Really focus on exploding at the beginning of the stroke so that its full power right at the beginning. Keep the drive fast and that will help you hold higher rates. Another thing though is that holding a higher rate is sometimes based around how fit you are. Someone who just started rowing isnt going to be able to hold a 30 or up for more than 5 minutes at full pressure. It just wouldnt happen. But remember, increase the rate through the drive, quick and powerful.