Resting Heart Rate Question

read only section for reference and search purposes.
[old] balbec

Training

Post by [old] balbec » April 11th, 2005, 4:04 am

Hey everyone, <br />I know that max heartrate, etc has been discussed in depth on the Concept 2 forums, but i was wondering about resting heartrate. Im male, 25, getting back into shape (training about 5-6 times per week at 45mins +) and yesterday morning, tested my resting heartrate and it was 48bpm. <br /><br />I was wondering if this is good as I remember there was discussion on the topic on one of the American or Uk forums, but I cant find it again.<br /><br />Can anyone pls advise.<br /><br />Thanks,<br />Mike D

[old] NJPitcher

Training

Post by [old] NJPitcher » April 12th, 2005, 5:45 pm

As far as I know, 48 bpm is very good...wish mine were that low. I think I'm around the low 60s.

[old] Sir Pirate

Training

Post by [old] Sir Pirate » April 12th, 2005, 5:52 pm

<!--QuoteBegin-balbec+Apr 11 2005, 08:04 AM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(balbec @ Apr 11 2005, 08:04 AM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin-->Hey everyone, <br />I know that max heartrate, etc has been discussed in depth on the Concept 2 forums, but i was wondering about resting heartrate. Im male, 25, getting back into shape (training about 5-6 times per week at 45mins +) and yesterday morning, tested my resting heartrate and it was 48bpm. <br /><br />I was wondering if this is good as I remember there was discussion on the topic on one of the American or Uk forums, but I cant find it again.<br /><br />Can anyone pls advise.<br /><br />Thanks,<br />Mike D <br /> </td></tr></table><br /><br />Well its not bad put it that way, some people have high HR's and some low, I think fitness does come in to play though.<br /><br />I think the Av for people is 72bpm so you are under that.<br /><br />I took mine the other day and it was the lowest it has been in a long time, 38 rested, normally sits around 42-45bpm.<br /><br />Sir Pirate

[old] Birkyboy

Training

Post by [old] Birkyboy » April 12th, 2005, 5:56 pm

I have RHR that moves around 50 to 52... <br /><br />BUT.. be sure you measure it the right way.. THAT is as a RESTING Heart Rate.. I like to use the phrase..<br /><br />Absolute Resting Heart Rate.. and the Polar Advise is to take it before you even get out of bed.. and do so with no distrations, total silence and a clear mind...<br /><br />Quite how you do this first thing.. when you have just stretched over for you belt and strapped it on I am not too sure.<br /><br />BUT... Sub 50 I would say is always a good one...

[old] balbec

Training

Post by [old] balbec » April 13th, 2005, 4:38 am

Thanks for getting back to me guys,<br />I've been training fairly seriously lately: rowing, static bike, etc and I just wanted some measure of whether I was improving at all; fitness wise. <br />Im loosing weight gradually but I also want to get fitter.<br /><br />Birkyboy, I understand totally what ur saying about reaching over to the locker and putting on the Polar Advise belt, it kinda defeats the purpose unless you tie it on before u go to sleep and when you wake, hey presto!!! <br /><br />I think I read somewhere that a true measure of fitness be when you have stopped an intensive training session, to measure BPM wait a minute and remeasure!! Do any of ye try this and how much of a BPM recovery should happen to show fitness??<br /><br />Mike D<br />