altitude, erging and blood pressure medicine

General discussions about getting and staying fit that don't relate directly to your indoor rower
grams
2k Poster

altitude, erging and blood pressure medicine

Post by grams » April 4th, 2006, 3:15 pm

We are presently at 4000 feet, and have been alternating between sea level and 5000 feet on our travels theses past weeks. I'm sure finding it hard to erg at altitude, even though I have been here for a week. Has anyone had any experience with funny symptoms when taking bp memdicine and changing altitude? I get weird, dizzy, and out of breath.

grams
(great) grams 71 yo 5'3"
5 kids, 6 grandkids, 1 great-granddaughter
Marathon mugs available at http://www.zazzle.com/grammms Profits go to charity

radmanzulu
Paddler

Post by radmanzulu » April 4th, 2006, 4:15 pm

What BP meds are you taking? Feeling dizzy sounds like orthostatic hypotension (BP too low) - could be aggravated or caused by dehydration. Do you have a BP monitor? If so, take your BP after lying down quietly for 5 minutes and then take it again one minute after standing up. It shouldn't drop much.

An altitude of 4000 feet shouldn't normally cause issues or symptoms though.
Rob Scott

MomofJBN
2k Poster

Post by MomofJBN » April 4th, 2006, 6:39 pm

I can't address the BP medication issues, but I live at 7,000' so I'm experienced with altitude. Make sure you stay well hydrated. Your siggy says you are traveling in the southwest, so beware of our low humidity and drink lots. If you're out of breath while erging, drop the pace a bit until you figure out what you can sustain. Row at an exertion level that feels like what you expect even if the numbers on the monitor seem low. It takes a while for your body to adjust to altitude, so don't expect to be acclimated in a week.

I started a thread on altitude recently asking how times here (7,000') might compare to times at sea level. There was lots of theoretical discussion, but the practical advice seemed to indicate a 2 or 3 second differential in your per 500m pace. Going to lower elevation would improve performance, and vice versa.

Hope that helped. Let me know if you need clarification. BTW, good to see you stopping by! :)
Schenley
Wife of Jeff
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v235/momofjbn/dudes_small.jpg[/img] Mom of Jonathan (12), Benjamin (10), and Nicholas (8)

RowtheRockies
6k Poster

grams

Post by RowtheRockies » April 4th, 2006, 7:00 pm

If your BP medicine is not giving you troubles at Seal level, I wouldn't think it would at altitude. Sounds more like the altitude and or the dehydration that can occur at altitude from increased resperation. You will not aclimate much in one week. To fully acclimate takes upwards of 6 weeks so I have heard.

Rich
40 YO 6'1" 180 lbs. Rowing at 7,000 Ft.
SB's
[img]http://www.c2ctc.com/sigs/img1213378765.png[/img]

johnlvs2run
Half Marathon Poster

Post by johnlvs2run » April 4th, 2006, 7:19 pm

Some blood pressure medications work by reducing the blood volume.

You would then need a higher heart rate to achieve the same cardiac output.

Scary stuff!

stroke volume x heart rate = cardiac output

Altitude would accelerate the harmful affects of taking such medications.
bikeerg 75 5'8" 155# - 18.5 - 51.9 - 568 - 1:52.7 - 8:03.8 - 20:13.1 - 14620 - 40:58.7 - 28855 - 1:23:48.0
rowerg 56-58 5'8.5" 143# - 1:39.6 - 3:35.6 - 7:24.0 - 18:57.4 - 22:49.9 - 7793 - 38:44.7 - 1:22:48.9 - 2:58:46.2

grams
2k Poster

Post by grams » April 4th, 2006, 8:24 pm

thanks for the info. I know that my bp goes pretty low when erging and after erging for several hours, as it should. I run out of air even at sea level before anything else fails. If it takes 6 weeks to get used to the altitude then i think that must be it. I am drinking lots and lots of water, for sure.

I feel fine when I don't take the bp pill right now, and weak and out of breath when I do. So, I'll cut back on the meds so I can enjoy the erging, hiking, biking etc every day. I think if I exercise every day i will be fine.

grams
(great) grams 71 yo 5'3"

RowtheRockies
6k Poster

Post by RowtheRockies » April 5th, 2006, 11:22 am

grams,

I seriously doubt your BP is a beta blocker since you are an athlete, correct? Beta Blockers will really inhibit aerobic performance. But just thought I would check since you did not mention it.

Also, I don't live in Moab but have made three mt. biking trips there over the years. Are you doing any biking?

Rich
40 YO 6'1" 180 lbs. Rowing at 7,000 Ft.
SB's
[img]http://www.c2ctc.com/sigs/img1213378765.png[/img]

grams
2k Poster

Post by grams » April 5th, 2006, 11:56 am

Yes, well, it is a beta blocker. I know the effects, but hadn't been bothered too much before. Unfortunately we doubled my dose a month before this trip....

My husband is a serious biker and has been out most every day. I am a roadie, and don't like riding in heavy traffic, so I am more into hiking and rock scrambling. Biking is harder on my knees than erging, which is why the erg came with us.

grams
(great) grams 71 yo 5'3"

radmanzulu
Paddler

Post by radmanzulu » April 6th, 2006, 10:04 am

As an athlete, you shouldn't be on a beta blocker. BBs impair athletic performance at the muscle metabolism level, cardiac output and have central effects on the brain which increase feelings of perceived exertion. This has been well documented by Exercise Physiologists. You should consider being on an Ace Inhibitor or an Angiotensin Receptor Blocker or a Calcium Antagonist, all of which have little or no effect on exercise performance and are better tolerated.
Rob Scott

grams
2k Poster

Post by grams » April 6th, 2006, 3:25 pm

I'll get it straightened out with my doctor when I get back. He is a good guy, and we can figure something out.

thanks everyone,

grams
(great) grams 71 yo 5'3"

radmanzulu
Paddler

Post by radmanzulu » April 6th, 2006, 4:41 pm

You may want to print out this set of guidelines from the American Academy of Family Practice that deal with medication choices in athletes.

http://www.fpnotebook.com/CV278.htm
Rob Scott

Raymond Botha
Paddler

Post by Raymond Botha » April 10th, 2006, 5:34 am

Hi Grams,

Hope you feeling better.

I used to live at the coast and noticed when we moved to 2000m altitude I always felt dizzy when standing up. This lasted for years . I now have high BP , no more dizzyness !

What most people don't realise is the difference in perceived effort when going tp altitude, regardlessof what the numbers say. If I am fit at altitude for doing an hour at 2.00 then going to the coast I can go for 90min and still feel strong . This extra effort generates a lot of lactic acid to start with , but the feeling of power and endurance are like being 10yrs younger.

Pity I cant bottle it and sell it ...

Good luck.

Ray
PS I take an ace inhibitor and feel better during exercise for it.

grams
2k Poster

Post by grams » April 12th, 2006, 12:27 pm

I am actually on an ace inhibitor, which is supposed to be ok for altitude changes. I think my dizziness/paranoia is altitude related nevertheless. As a sea level creature, sudden changes (read going up 3-8000 feet) make me paranoid. Like, 'don't drive so close to the edge of the road!' or Oh my God, I'm going to fall off the edge of the hiking trail!' I've been taking my iron pills every day to build up those red corpuscles.

My rowing here at 4000' has gotten easier over time without the meds. And the paranoia has gone away. Hopefully when I get back home I will be in great shape to do some intense erging. Even if I don't have a high-altitude tent to sleep in like Lance.

regards,
grams
(great) grams 71 yo 5'3"

MomofJBN
2k Poster

Post by MomofJBN » April 13th, 2006, 9:35 pm

Grams - that's not paranoia; that's common sense. :lol: Some of those roads are hairy!

I'm glad the work-outs are going better.
Schenley
Wife of Jeff
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v235/momofjbn/dudes_small.jpg[/img] Mom of Jonathan (12), Benjamin (10), and Nicholas (8)

Hal Morgan
500m Poster

Post by Hal Morgan » April 13th, 2006, 9:55 pm

Call a local doctor. Every big city has a Medical center these days and most have "ask a nurse". Call a local pharmacy They are trained and educated experts.
And for God sakes watch your step while happy hiking. oK? Leave the erg at base camp and you will not be as winded.
Sincerely,
Hal Morgan or aka
Harold Muchler
48 1/2 male 192 lbs 5'11"
rowing erg since 9/04
on water since 9/05

rowing it's a niche sport