Help

read only section for reference and search purposes.
[old] princesspen

General

Post by [old] princesspen » October 25th, 2004, 9:30 pm

when im at the finish, sometimes my blade gets caught and its tough to get it out. It is almost like catching a crab but im not. I need some tip on how to finish strong.

[old] gorow9

General

Post by [old] gorow9 » October 25th, 2004, 9:48 pm

It's all in the leg drive, at the catch back the oar right in with no pause and drive hard with the legs make sure to go in the order drive first with the legs, then the body lastly arms. Also make sure to have some body angle at the catch and keep it for the first part of the leg drive, it makes the drive sronger, it's like a spring.<br><br>Let me know if this helps you at all, I'd be interrested in hearing.<br><br>Hope that helps<br><br>~Sara

[old] seat5

General

Post by [old] seat5 » October 27th, 2004, 2:56 pm

This isn't going to be helpful, but it might make you feel better...I only rowed for one year on the water, and I always had the same trouble, I think. It was as though the handle of the oar was buried in my stomach and there was nowhere to push it down to to get it out of the water. If that is what you mean, it's not much fun. Don't try to correct it by leaning back really far because that is how I "fixed" it and really hurt my back. Get help from your coach!!!<br><br>Carla

[old] gman953

General

Post by [old] gman953 » October 27th, 2004, 5:34 pm

it might be from not staying in time and you are taking the blade out to late and it is getting slightly grabbed by the water at the finish

[old] gorow9

General

Post by [old] gorow9 » October 28th, 2004, 11:27 am

My coach was talking to somebody yesterday about this issue, he said there's a term "rowing over a barrel" and that often causes trouble getting the blade out of the water at the finish. It's when you raise the oar as if there's a barell on your lap, so try to pull flat... not rounded<br><br>Mabe that helps<br><br>~Sara<br><br><br>"Life's short... row hard."

[old] gorow9

General

Post by [old] gorow9 » November 10th, 2004, 12:10 pm

Also make sure to pull the blade out square then feather, it takes some getting used to but helps a lot... especially in chop or wakes.