outrigger positioning on maas aero

No, ergs don't yet float, but some of us do, and here's where you get to discuss that other form of rowing.
headupinclouds
Paddler

outrigger positioning on maas aero

Post by headupinclouds » June 2nd, 2024, 5:07 pm

I am setting up my "Winged" Maas Aero for the season and am looking for recommendations on how to bolt the outrigger frame to the boat. There are two sets of bolt holes resulting in either a fore or aft mounting position. In the following photo the outriggers are mounted with the front-most bolt holes resulting in an aft position when installed.

I'm 6'3" and am unclear which position would favor my proportions. I have been rowing recreationally for a few seasons and have been unsure about this detail during my annual rigging, and have not found any references for this in online guides. Any recommendations would be much appreciated.

Cyclist2
10k Poster

Re: outrigger positioning on maas aero

Post by Cyclist2 » June 3rd, 2024, 12:40 pm

The fore-aft position of the oarlocks is called "work through the pin". You can Google that up for sculling boats and get some information.

Basically, if you set the oarlocks more toward the stern (less work through), you emphasize the release part of the stroke, conversely more toward the bow allows a larger catch angle. The idea is to get the most power in the middle of the stroke, where the blade is perpendicular to the boat. Faster, stronger rowers usually have more work through the pin so they get a very large catch angle and are applying that power earlier.

The range of adjustments in your Aero won't be too large, so it's not really critical. Try it in both positions, see what feels best for you is the advice you see in most rigging articles. Like all rigging, all the various adjustments affect all the others, so it is a dialing it in process to get it right for you.
Mark Underwood. Rower first, cyclist too.

DrBM
Paddler

Re: outrigger positioning on maas aero

Post by DrBM » June 3rd, 2024, 10:14 pm

For optimal rowing comfort, try both positions to assess which aligns better with your body mechanics. Generally, taller rowers prefer aft mounting for better reach and leverage. Experiment with both positions to find the most comfortable setup. Let me know if it was helpful for you! Thanks!