PM2 Battery Terminals

Maintenance, accessories, operation. Anything to do with making your erg work.
febman
Paddler

PM2 Battery Terminals

Post by febman » May 18th, 2024, 9:29 am

Hi all,

Looking for some advice/help.

I have a PM2 that suffered corrosion on the PCB due to battery leakage. I managed to get working again by cleaning and repairing as neccessary, which was easy for me as I have the tools and years of electronics experience.

Unfortunately two of the battery contacts took the brunt of the leakage, one of them much worse than I initially realised and it snapped when I replaced the batteries just before use.

I am wondering if any forum members that repair PM2s can advise where I can get replacement 2-pin PCB mount battery terminals, if this is still even possible.

Failing that, would any of you happen to have irrepairable PCBs with one or more good battery terminals that you would be willing to desolder and post to me in the UK if I cover the costs? I would like to replace both of the damaged battery contacts, but at a push at least the broken one.

Many thanks in advance for your advice/help.

Febman
Concept 2 Model 3, PM2

Carl Watts
Marathon Poster

Re: PM2 Battery Terminals

Post by Carl Watts » May 18th, 2024, 7:14 pm

Hi, I repair the monitors in New Zealand.

The PM2 battery terminals were a custom made part, possibly from Keystone there is nothing else like it on the market, one that's close but the combination of the two PCB pins and the pitch and overall size means there is no decent match. You would think after tooling up for it, they would have just sold it as part of their line-up.

I have been individually cleaning them with a fibreglass rework pen and Jenolite rust killer and getting them batch replated at about 90 a time for years which is a horrible job, especially when I think that Concept 2 probably threw a whole bag of thousands of new ones away in the rubbish bin in 2003.

Your best bet is EBay you see broken ones come up as "for parts only" all the time.

There is a guy in the UK by the name of Simon who repairs them like me, his details are here.....

https://www.concept2monitorrepair.com/
Carl Watts.
Concept 2 Monitor Service Technician & indoor rower.
http://log.concept2.com/profile/863525/log

Citroen
SpamTeam

Post by Citroen » May 19th, 2024, 4:00 am

By the time you've spent at least £45 with Simon you're well on the way to £180 (inc VAT) it costs to buy a new PM5 (with the retrofit kit) for your model C. Plus, you'll get all the new features included with a PM5.

Carl Watts
Marathon Poster

Post by Carl Watts » May 19th, 2024, 7:39 am

Citroen wrote:
May 19th, 2024, 4:00 am
By the time you've spent at least £45 with Simon you're well on the way to £180 (inc VAT) it costs to buy a new PM5 (with the retrofit kit) for your model C. Plus, you'll get all the new features included with a PM5.
I charge proportionally more than that and still get them in to repair.

Some people don't want the new PM5, its too complicated for them and they are used to the PM2 which essentially does everything they need it to do.

Things are starting to get tight with money over here, some people do not want to spend three times more money than they need to to get a working monitor on an old Model C rower now.
Carl Watts.
Concept 2 Monitor Service Technician & indoor rower.
http://log.concept2.com/profile/863525/log

febman
Paddler

Post by febman » May 19th, 2024, 8:03 am

Carl/Citroen,

Many thanks for your prompt replies and advice.

I checked ebay quite a few times over the last few months since the terminal broke, but no luck, so I thought I would check in with the experts!

If I have no choice but to get a PM5 then so-be-it. I was hoping to get this PM2 going, but after 20+ years I guess it is time to move on.

Thanks again for your help.

Febman
Concept 2 Model 3, PM2