Drag Factor at Worlds 2023

From the CRASH-B's to an online challenge, discuss the competitive side of erging here.
row23
Paddler

Drag Factor at Worlds 2023

Post by row23 » February 16th, 2023, 10:52 am

Kind of a dumb question, but does anyone know if the drag factor is set at a standard for all competitors in an event?
Or do you get to set your own drag factor prior to competing?

It seems common sense to me that it would be pre-set and standard based on each race category but I could be wrong.

Citroen
SpamTeam

Re: Drag Factor at Worlds 2023

Post by Citroen » February 16th, 2023, 11:08 am

At the WIRC there's no pre-determined drag factor. Each user sets their own (or relies on a previous erger to set it for them).

JaapvanE
10k Poster

Post by JaapvanE » February 16th, 2023, 11:18 am

row23 wrote:
February 16th, 2023, 10:52 am
It seems common sense to me that it would be pre-set and standard based on each race category but I could be wrong.
Why does that make sense to you? For On The Water qualification trials it is known to be predetermined sometimes, as a specific dragfactor simulates a specific boat type. But on a indoor race, it feels a bit like determining the gears that are allowed to be used on a racing bike. Optimal dragfactor is person-dependent, so using a specific one handicaps groups of people without need (using a different drag is "corrected" by the PM5 during the race, so you don't lose/gain any advantage by changing it, aside you being better to produce the power in the way that fits you best).

Dangerscouse
Marathon Poster

Post by Dangerscouse » February 16th, 2023, 12:39 pm

It always has to be free to choose. There are some lunatics, like Cam ( :wink: ), who intentionally use df200.

Always remember, drag factor doesn't make you a better athlete per se, it just makes you more efficient at your preferred resistance.
50 HWT; 6' 4"; 1k= 3:09; 2k= 6:36; 5k= 17:19; 6k= 20:47; 10k= 35:46 30mins= 8,488m 60mins= 16,618m HM= 1:16.47; FM= 2:40:41; 50k= 3:16:09; 100k= 7:52:44; 12hrs = 153km

"You reap what you row"

Instagram: stuwenman

row23
Paddler

Post by row23 » February 16th, 2023, 1:12 pm

JaapvanE wrote:
February 16th, 2023, 11:18 am
row23 wrote:
February 16th, 2023, 10:52 am
Why does that make sense to you? For On The Water qualification trials it is known to be predetermined sometimes, as a specific dragfactor simulates a specific boat type. But on a indoor race, it feels a bit like determining the gears that are allowed to be used on a racing bike. Optimal dragfactor is person-dependent, so using a specific one handicaps groups of people without need (using a different drag is "corrected" by the PM5 during the race, so you don't lose/gain any advantage by changing it, aside you being better to produce the power in the way that fits you best).
In my eyes it made sense as I have always been told by coaches to set my drag factor at a specific number based on gender. It seemed like it would make the most sense for me to have everything at the competition be the same for everyone in the specific event, and when talking with my teammates, they said they thought it would be pre-set as well. The racing bike is a good analogy, though, that does make it more logical to have everyone set their own drag.

I've only ever competed in OTW competitions/regattas, so ergattas are new to me, which is why I was confused.

JaapvanE
10k Poster

Post by JaapvanE » February 16th, 2023, 1:49 pm

row23 wrote:
February 16th, 2023, 1:12 pm
In my eyes it made sense as I have always been told by coaches to set my drag factor at a specific number based on gender. It seemed like it would make the most sense for me to have everything at the competition be the same for everyone in the specific event, and when talking with my teammates, they said they thought it would be pre-set as well. The racing bike is a good analogy, though, that does make it more logical to have everyone set their own drag.

I've only ever competed in OTW competitions/regattas, so ergattas are new to me, which is why I was confused.
Yes, it makes sense for OTW coaches to select a specific drag for all athletes, to keep the transition from the Erg to the water (and back) as smooth as possible, as that drag is close to a specific boat/oar configuration.

But when things are pure Erg and you don't care about a short-term OTW transition, it can be set to what feels most effective for you. Most Erg rowers know this number by heart. Here is some explanation and a schedule to help find yours: https://youtu.be/rySeSi93KYc

Cyclist2
10k Poster

Post by Cyclist2 » February 16th, 2023, 2:25 pm

Every competition I've been to the rules are that you can set the DF at any number you want, but you can't change it during the race.

That is the beauty of the C2 ergometer and performance monitor. The time, pace, and stroke rate are independent of the DF, only dependent on the rower. That is why these competitions can be held from anywhere in the world. The machine is the same regardless of DF.
Mark Underwood. Rower first, cyclist too.

Elizabeth
2k Poster

Post by Elizabeth » February 17th, 2023, 7:08 am

At ErgSprints, we had 5-8 minutes on the erg before it was handles down so that flywheels would come to a stop and the race would begin. The first thing I did was set the DF. Just couldn't change it during the race.
IG: eltgilmore