Olympic weightlifting: is the skierg a good choice?

Talk about the ski ergometer and training tool from Concept2
yatiy
Paddler

Olympic weightlifting: is the skierg a good choice?

Post by yatiy » June 9th, 2021, 4:26 am

Hello,

I am an olympic weightlifter (ranked 6 countrywide in my weight category) and I am looking for a cardio exercise that will not fatigue my quads (I squat heavy every day).This is quite difficult to find as you can imagine, and I have been restricted to swimming so far.

I recently learned about the skierg, and this seems to be a very promising possibility for my cardio needs. In fact, it is interesting because it appears to work the opposite muscles that are used in the weightlifting movements (see image below). The skierg could be "the" solution for me and my fellow weightlifters.

The problem is that I am unable to try one before buying it, I just can't find any in driving distance where I live.
So before pulling the trigger and ordering one, I thought I would ask your opinion, as you seem to be very experienced with the skiergs. Do you think there any reason why I should reconsider?

This is the image that shows the kind of movement we do in weightlifting:

Have a good day

Rayving
Paddler

Re: Olympic weightlifting: is the skierg a good choice?

Post by Rayving » June 9th, 2021, 5:24 pm

The skierg does allow for a good cardio workout without causing any real fatigue in the legs, depending upon the technique applied. If the correct technique is used then the motion has little effect on the legs. It also significantly improves upper body muscular endurance. I think it would be a good choice.

Ombrax
10k Poster

Post by Ombrax » June 9th, 2021, 7:19 pm

Caveat: I've never used a ski-erg.

However, this is posted on the C2 site, which leads me to believe that the ski-erg will give your legs a pretty good workout:

https://www.concept2.com/skierg/training/muscles-used

The Start

Primary muscles: triceps, trapezius, lats, calves
Secondary muscles: abs, back extensors, glutes, hamstrings, hip flexors, quads and shins

The Pull

Primary muscles: triceps, lats, abdominal muscles, hip flexors, shins
Secondary muscles: quads, back extensors, glutes, hamstrings, calves

The Finish

Primary muscles: triceps, abdominal muscles, hip flexors, shins
Secondary muscles: quads, back extensors, glutes, hamstrings, calves

The Return

Primary muscles: quads, glutes, hamstrings, back extensors, deltoid front part, trapezius upper part, pectoralis upper part, calves
Secondary muscles: abdominals, shins, hip flexors

Cyclist2
10k Poster

Post by Cyclist2 » June 10th, 2021, 12:14 am

Nor have I ever used a SkiErg. I have thought about one, but between bikes, boats and RowErgs I have enough exercise devices.

Under the technique web page; https://www.concept2.com/skierg/training/technique, it says you can sit on a stool and not use the legs at all. Having done a little Nordic skiing I can attest to the aerobic aspects of it - it's hard. So perhaps this IS the workout you're looking for.
Mark Underwood. Rower first, cyclist too.

hjs
Marathon Poster

Post by hjs » June 10th, 2021, 3:41 am

I do use the skierg, and have so for years. And at a relative high volume.

Depending on how you use the skierg, it can be used from very relax, think walking to very hard, its possible to fully exhaust yourself in 1 minute, including your legs. Do 60 half squats in a minute and you will have an idea.

Apart from legs, an important thing is shoulders, those need to be very stable and strong for weightlifting. When using the skierg the shoulders, certainly the smaller muscle do a lot of work. Also the midback gets worked a lot. When I do a hard session, the midback really gets a beating.

Re pace, most people use a good bit lower pace on the skierg compared to the rower. Not everybody, exceptions are even faster on the skierg. Shorter relative strong/havier people tend to do relative well on the skierg.

People with a aerobic background, runners/cyclists often do poorly, they lack upperbodystrenght. Some still do good over longer distances by using a high rating.

My advice. Contact concept2, ask if you can rent a machine for 1 or 2 months. And buy or return after that trial. Maybe a tad more expensive. But not a direct buy. I have good experience with c2 over here.

jamesg
Half Marathon Poster

Post by jamesg » June 10th, 2021, 4:14 am

I have been restricted to swimming so far.
Row-erging would be similar to freestyle and can provide plenty of cardio load at a rate that's easily controlled.

You can see all the details of Watts, force, speed etc, while not needing to provide any high forces.

The brake torque on the row-erg and other C2 machines can be adjusted provide the force/speed characteristic that best suits your needs.

Presumably you warm up, stretch and warm down somehow before/after lifting; can that not be done as cardio?
08-1940, 183cm, 83kg.
2024: stroke 5.5W-min@20-21. ½k 190W, 1k 145W, 2k 120W. Using Wods 4-5days/week. Fading fast.

kini62
2k Poster

Post by kini62 » June 14th, 2021, 12:49 pm

yatiy wrote:
June 9th, 2021, 4:26 am
Hello,

I am an olympic weightlifter (ranked 6 countrywide in my weight category) and I am looking for a cardio exercise that will not fatigue my quads (I squat heavy every day).This is quite difficult to find as you can imagine, and I have been restricted to swimming so far.

I recently learned about the skierg, and this seems to be a very promising possibility for my cardio needs. In fact, it is interesting because it appears to work the opposite muscles that are used in the weightlifting movements (see image below). The skierg could be "the" solution for me and my fellow weightlifters.

The problem is that I am unable to try one before buying it, I just can't find any in driving distance where I live.
So before pulling the trigger and ordering one, I thought I would ask your opinion, as you seem to be very experienced with the skiergs. Do you think there any reason why I should reconsider?

This is the image that shows the kind of movement we do in weightlifting:

Have a good day
Currently my primary cardio is Zwift/cycling which fatigues my quads quite a bit. So every 2 days or so I skierg. It does involve the legs somewhat but not in the way cycling or rowing does. I think it's a great way to add some serious cardio workouts to your routine without involving the quads so much.
59m, 5'6" 160lbs, rowing and skiing (pseudo) on the Big Island of Hawaii.