Model C vs. Model D

Maintenance, accessories, operation. Anything to do with making your erg work.
JPFreire
Paddler

Model C vs. Model D

Post by JPFreire » July 21st, 2020, 2:49 am

I was recently able to secure a model c Pm2 rower in pretty flawless condition for $450. Shortly thereafter I was able to find a model d V1 Pm3 for the same price though it needed a bit of TLC (missing bolt, Missing battery cover, missing cam lock, fly wheel was a mess, chain hasn’t been maintained). This model is the Grey/white one with a blue rail made in 2006.

I have a small apt and I’m new to purchasing an erg but I’ve been cycling on and off for years. I wanted another thing to do a more full body workout and as soon as I saw the machine could break down in two for storage I was in. I rowed a little when trying out for crew in college and continued to enjoy it recreationally (even though I didn’t make the team!)

I’m always comfortable spending money on things I know I can sell after sprucing up, and I enjoy repairing things and making them better. (Chances are I can do so without taking a loss.)

Here’s the thing.

It just seems that the materials in the model c are better quality. There’s no unnecessary paint on the model c and most of it is made from either metal or a better quality plastic than what I can tell.

So my questions:
1. Is the “feel“ different on the D (v1) and is it that much quieter or well built?
2. did major, meaningful improvements happen after the v2 change?
3. If I got a pm5, a new handle, and maybe the quiet kit, for the model C would it still be that inferior to the model D?
4. Most superficially I prefer things that blend in and don’t make my home look like a gym. I like the lighter colors of the D for that reason but maybe I bite the bullet and spray paint or vinyl up mine to be white to go with more of my furniture? Does anyone have experience on this?

Am I nuts for thinking this way? To each their own but if I know one thing about this forum people aren’t shy about their take.

Citroen
SpamTeam

Re: Model C vs. Model D

Post by Citroen » July 21st, 2020, 4:26 am

Split off from original 2014 dead topic.

richie_engineer
Paddler

Post by richie_engineer » July 21st, 2020, 7:36 am

The Model C will be great. I've done all the upgrades on mine, ranked in order of how much they've improved the experience:
1. New plastic handle
2. PM5
3. New Seat Rollers
4. Quiet Kit

The flywheel will be louder than a D/E, but it's not bad.

I think I'm going to be due for new flywheel bearings, it's starting to squeak when slowing down. Going to live with it until I can't get the drag factor low enough though.

Carl Watts
Marathon Poster

Post by Carl Watts » July 21st, 2020, 3:12 pm

The squeak usually comes from the chain guide rollers inside the frame on the recovery. They need a drop or two of oil.
Carl Watts.
Concept 2 Monitor Service Technician & indoor rower.
http://log.concept2.com/profile/863525/log

JPFreire
Paddler

Post by JPFreire » February 3rd, 2021, 9:45 am

Hi, just wanted to say thanks for this input. I wound up upgrading the handle and the monitor. Wow is the PM5 a beauty. I never thought I'd get so much joy out of a single upgrade. I'll likely go for the quiet kit next.

That said, is there any point to holding on to the old monitor and handle? I've poked around and haven't seen much of a secondhand market (aside from "free" on here), and I don't have much by way of storage. Is this the appropriate forum to offer them up?

Ombrax
10k Poster

Post by Ombrax » February 3rd, 2021, 3:25 pm

You could try selling it here, but I'd just hang on to it in case a disaster should befall your PM5. I still have my PM2+ from when I upgraded it on my C. Just be sure to remove the batteries before putting it in long-term storage.