Where do I find the correct oil in EU?

Maintenance, accessories, operation. Anything to do with making your erg work.
madsravn
Paddler

Where do I find the correct oil in EU?

Post by madsravn » January 9th, 2020, 9:38 am

Howdy folks,

I just purchased myself a Concept2 Model D. I am super happy with it and I have read that I should oil the chain. I am however a complete idiot when it comes to stuff like that. I live in Denmark and I am not sure I can go to a shop and tell them the English names of the oil recommended in the manual.

I tried google and I came to concept2 shop which only sends to the UK and one which only sends to the US. Can anyone point me to an oil which I can purchase online and have sent to Denmark? :)

Best regards,
Mads Ravn

Citroen
SpamTeam

Re: Where do I find the correct oil in EU?

Post by Citroen » January 9th, 2020, 9:57 am

Something like https://www.bauhaus.dk/varemaerker/wd-4 ... ons-250-ml is probably a Danish equivalent to 3-in-1 20W oil.

Ombrax
10k Poster

Post by Ombrax » January 9th, 2020, 11:32 pm

This is what the C2 web site says regarding chain oil:

"Lubricate the chain with a teaspoon of purified mineral oil, 3-IN-ONE® oil, or 20W motor oil. Apply oil to a paper towel, and rub the paper towel along entire length of chain. Wipe off the excess. Repeat if needed. Do not clean the chain with any kind of cleaner or solvent, e.g. WD-40®."

3-in-1 is a US brand name, but I doubt you'll have much trouble finding mineral oil or 20W motor oil.

Here in the US drugstores or department stores all carry mineral oil, and obviously 20W motor oil is readily available just about everywhere.

Happy rowing.

Citroen
SpamTeam

Post by Citroen » January 10th, 2020, 3:22 am

Ombrax wrote:
January 9th, 2020, 11:32 pm

3-in-1 is a US brand name, but I doubt you'll have much trouble finding mineral oil or 20W motor oil.
3-in-1 has an interesting history https://3-in-one.co.uk/history/ and is part of the WD-40 company (since 1995).

Carl Watts
Marathon Poster

Post by Carl Watts » January 10th, 2020, 3:59 pm

It may seem strange but we can buy genuine 3 in 1 at the local supermarket over here.
Carl Watts.
Concept 2 Monitor Service Technician & indoor rower.
http://log.concept2.com/profile/863525/log

cheeseman
Paddler

Post by cheeseman » January 12th, 2020, 1:22 pm

I would not use a WD-40 brand product for lubricating the chain. They do not have the proper viscosity. You can probably find a 20 wt oil from a motorcycle supply shop or store. Fork oil is usually in that range.

Carl Watts
Marathon Poster

Post by Carl Watts » January 12th, 2020, 6:52 pm

Not sure if Concept 2 would disclose what their oil is. The fact that its clear could mean its even a silicone oil.

I don't actually think it matters too much what oil you use, I was putting a full synthetic 10W60 car engine oil on mine for a while, anything is better than nothing.

If you leave it to long and it starts seizing up, your going to have to either replace the chain or use something like WD-40 on it to get it moving again.

The original Concept 2 25N D.I.D chain on my Model C got a full clean at one point and then heated in special motorcycle chain grease. Runs pretty quiet.
Carl Watts.
Concept 2 Monitor Service Technician & indoor rower.
http://log.concept2.com/profile/863525/log

mcv
Paddler

Post by mcv » February 5th, 2020, 8:25 pm

Here in the northeast USA I searched for 20W (20-weight) oil for a long time, without success. Eventually I learned that something called "Vacuum pump oil" is frequently just ... 20W oil. Perhaps you can find some of that in the EU?