Lots of rowing = No weight loss: Help!

Rowing for weight loss or weight control? Start here.
schander
Paddler

Lots of rowing = No weight loss: Help!

Post by schander » December 16th, 2017, 10:16 am

Hi All,

I have been erging/weight training on/off, mostly off, for years now.
Decided enough was enough, and I need to loose some weight, given my weight was 105.8kg!!! on 6th Nov this year, form a heavy, but lighter, 90kg in 2001.

So I decided on the 6th Nov to row as much as possible and watch my diet. Since 6th I have rowed 345,996m, mostly in daily 10k's, in addition I've been swimming half a mile twice a week.
My split time has come down from 2:13.0 to around 2:05.0 on 10k rows and about 2:03.0 for 3x5k, even managed a half marathon in 1:31:00 the other day.

Onto my diet, which has roughly been the following macros:
Carbs 192g
Protien 192g
Fat 74g
Giving a total daily intake of 2,200 Kcal, not always managing those exactly macros and total kcal intake.
The variation has been 2200-2400Kcal and variation of marcos, mostly overshooting my carb intake.
Must mention that my diet is asian vegetarian (e.g. egg free veggie)

Having rowed all these meters my weight today is 107.5kg, my body shape has changed, clothes feels looser.
I just saddened that my weight has gone up :shock:

Apologies for the long post.
All suggestions/comments/ideas are appreciated.

Satpal

hjs
Marathon Poster

Re: Lots of rowing = No weight loss: Help!

Post by hjs » December 16th, 2017, 12:31 pm

Not a good advert for going vegan :wink:

In the end its simply, your currrent energy is to high, don,t know what you do next to your training, but it does not cost you much energy.

Myself, far from being a vegan, would lower my carb intake, low carb, high fat is the most easy way to burn excess bodyfat.
Don,t think you are vegan for health reasons, if so, I would start eating very differently.

In daily life try to burn more energy, walk more, take stairs etc....

schander
Paddler

Post by schander » December 16th, 2017, 1:03 pm

Firstly, thanks for replying.
hjs wrote:Not a good advert for going vegan :wink:

In the end its simply, your currrent energy is to high, don,t know what you do next to your training, but it does not cost you much energy.
Your right next to my training, I sit on my behind for the best part of 11 hours a day, be it in the car or at a desk.
hjs wrote: Myself, far from being a vegan, would lower my carb intake, low carb, high fat is the most easy way to burn excess bodyfat.
Suppose i could eat more peanut/almond butter for fat. What would you recommend as a target for carb intake? 150g or 120g?
hjs wrote: Don,t think you are vegan for health reasons, if so, I would start eating very differently.
Not quite vegan, but my diet is from a faith point of view.
hjs wrote: In daily life try to burn more energy, walk more, take stairs etc....
I work on the second floor and always take the stairs.

Thanks

hjs
Marathon Poster

Post by hjs » December 16th, 2017, 1:28 pm

I would try two things, really go low carb, think around 50 grams, no need to really count it, but apart from greens cut out all carbs. After a week orso you will fully function on fat burning. Your current intake is not low enough to get that going.
And yes, eat enough fat, but make those not Omega 6 fats.

Daily life, simply do a bit more, toilet? Walk a bit, use a different floor, etc. lunchbreak? take a walk etc you get the picture, break that long day. A lot off small things add up. Maybe get yourself a stepcounter.

If possible, do some fast and easy stuff, some pushups, some squats, nothing taxing, but doing so your energyuse. Long sitting is really not good, break that up.

schander
Paddler

Post by schander » December 16th, 2017, 5:50 pm

Thanks for the advice.
I guess the holidays is not the nest time to try and be low carb, will be trying this soon

hjs
Marathon Poster

Post by hjs » December 17th, 2017, 4:53 am

schander wrote:Thanks for the advice.
I guess the holidays is not the nest time to try and be low carb, will be trying this soon
Thats up to you :P . If you do it, be strict, half harted will feel bad.

schander
Paddler

Post by schander » December 17th, 2017, 12:12 pm

hjs wrote:
schander wrote:Thanks for the advice.
Thats up to you :P . If you do it, be strict, half harted will feel bad.
I won't be half hearted will this, I really need to loose weight.
Reading around means that I need to mentally prepared for a change on:
  • Diet
  • Training regime
The holidays is, imho, a hard time to make such a big change.

Thanks

jamesg
Half Marathon Poster

Post by jamesg » December 17th, 2017, 2:46 pm

Diet's soon sorted, just eat half. Training too, just do double. I'd never've believed it until forced in.
08-1940, 183cm, 83kg.
2024: stroke 5.5W-min@20-21. ½k 190W, 1k 145W, 2k 120W. Using Wods 4-5days/week

schander
Paddler

Post by schander » December 17th, 2017, 4:16 pm

jamesg wrote:Diet's soon sorted, just eat half. Training too, just do double. I'd never've believed it until forced in.
Thanks for taking the time to reply. Having tried this technique many, many times in the past and have always failed miserably :(
Having said that reducing my intake is probably not a bad idea.

Cheers

hjs
Marathon Poster

Post by hjs » December 17th, 2017, 5:42 pm

schander wrote:
jamesg wrote:Diet's soon sorted, just eat half. Training too, just do double. I'd never've believed it until forced in.
Thanks for taking the time to reply. Having tried this technique many, many times in the past and have always failed miserably :(
Having said that reducing my intake is probably not a bad idea.

Cheers
Indeed won,t work, it really matters what you eat, controlling your insulin production is key, you can simply eat less, but if you still eat plenty of carbs, you will feel very hungry at times. Most people can,t handle that, if you can, it will ofcourse work.

It should feel right, that way its sustainable in the long run.

jamesg
Half Marathon Poster

Post by jamesg » December 18th, 2017, 1:37 am

On the other hand when I double the intake and halve the output, I go back to size 2. Depends who does the shopping/cooking. Me on the bike to a distant shop and chopping the veggies saves a lot of cash too. I've been from 87 to 81 and back, twice this year, it's infallible.

Can also be seen as a rule based system:
Rule 1: never go to a supermarket in the car.
Rule 2: fruit, veg and milk only.
Rule 3: do it yourself.
Rule 4: break any rule but not often.
08-1940, 183cm, 83kg.
2024: stroke 5.5W-min@20-21. ½k 190W, 1k 145W, 2k 120W. Using Wods 4-5days/week

jbhop5857
2k Poster

Post by jbhop5857 » December 18th, 2017, 1:31 pm

Hey bud,
I'll jump on the High Fat/ Low carb wagon here. I have been in fat burning mode for a couple of months and have greatly increase muscle mass and lost about 30+ lbs. It really is mostly in how you eat. I stay (for the most part) under 20-30 grams of carbs a day. You will get flu like symptoms and be lethargic for about 4 days. Just get through it. Once your body learns to use the fat instead of carbs for fuel, the cravings go away, your muscle mass will start to increase and the weight (for me) will start to melt off.
For rowing, although steady state is the prescribed method, I found significantly better results when I started doing 2-3 days of sprints each week. The Pete Plan has helped me very much with that, especially in pacing and tracking to keep the motivation going. Also, there is a forum for it under training with a bunch of people just trying to get better that are very helpful and committed.
Finally, joining a team or affiliation in the C2 logbook will team you up with others as well. I belong to Empty the Tanks, would love to have you.

David
6ft.
195lbs
2k: 6:50.2 - 2017 Yeah, I count the tenths on this one.
5K: 18:07.1 - 2020
6K: 23:28 - 2015
10K: 36:57 - 2020
HM: 1:22:48 - 2017
30 Min: 7937 - 2017
60 Min: 15625 - 2020
FM: 2:58:19.3 -2020
50k 3:38:44 - 2020
100k 7:29:15 - 2020

Erik A
6k Poster

Post by Erik A » December 18th, 2017, 4:06 pm

interesting... i was watching a youtube clip the other day about the current (2017) crossfit womens champion. she was also on a low carb high fat diet but changed to a high carb low fat diet when she got a new nutricionist. and found that she got increased performance, felt better, increased muscle mass and reduced her body fat. i think the program was called WAG. working against gravity.
personaly i subscribe to the eat what i want in moderation and exercise regularily. however i have just been on a seafood diet (see food and eat it) and no exercise. so have given myself a kick up the backside and have got back into exercise and eating in moderation
Erik
61 yo from New Zealand
6'4 and 120kg

hjs
Marathon Poster

Post by hjs » December 19th, 2017, 5:14 am

Dreadfish wrote:interesting... i was watching a youtube clip the other day about the current (2017) crossfit womens champion. she was also on a low carb high fat diet but changed to a high carb low fat diet when she got a new nutricionist. and found that she got increased performance, felt better, increased muscle mass and reduced her body fat. i think the program was called WAG. working against gravity.
personaly i subscribe to the eat what i want in moderation and exercise regularily. however i have just been on a seafood diet (see food and eat it) and no exercise. so have given myself a kick up the backside and have got back into exercise and eating in moderation
Yes but being overweight or topfit and doing lots of high volume high intensity stuff is very different.

I never heard of top athletes doing high intensity sports on very low carb. Very long distance yes, and low volume yes.

Neorticros
1k Poster

Post by Neorticros » December 19th, 2017, 11:19 am

I wouldn't worry too much about weight just after 10 days.

You are already feeling clothes looser, that is the important thing. And only 10 days have gone by. Just keep on it and dont look at the scale in a month from now :P
Could be muscle gain, could be water, could be anything. Just be stuborn and stick to the rowing and diet. It'll pay off, just be patient. This is a long distance race, 10 days is nothing. By doing that kind of exercise you should lose weight even if you didn't count carbs, cals, mehs and mohs. Could be that you need more patience, or could be any weird thing, but in that case you'd probably need professional help. Then again, it's only been 10 days !!

Truth is that most people, specially if overweight couldnt be able to row in the 2:10's. Actually they'd start from 2:30's to 3:00's depending on how fit and how much attention they pay to technique. If you are rowing that fast is because you are mostly fit and probably it will take you longer to lose that weight from the start.

I went from 105 to less than 80kg in 8-9 months but I was really unfit and the shock was so big from doing nothing in 20 years to taking exercise that it was a bit easier for me.

If I were you I wouldn't do so much cardio. Instead of swimming or just in place of some of the rowing sessions I'd do squats, bench press, overhead press and deadlifts (all with barbells) 2-3 times a week. Do it 2-3 times a week and see how it goes . Maybe a bit less of cardio and a bit more of lifting could help. I just started it and feels great :P

You forgot to tell us about your height btw :P