Gloves?????

General discussion on Training. How to get better on your erg, how to use your erg to get better at another sport, or anything else about improving your abilities.
susan627
Paddler

Gloves?????

Post by susan627 » March 22nd, 2006, 8:15 pm

I have only been rowing a few weeks but my hands are killing me! I am a woman and don't particularly care to have big calluses on my hands so I have started using some weightlifting gloves I have to row. But something tells me these aren't going to last and they're too warm anyway. Has anyone tried NewGrips? Or the lightweight outdoor gloves (that only go a little way up the finger)? I kayak in the summer and get blisters from that sometimes too so don't mind investing in something that will do double duty! Thanks.

johnlvs2run
Half Marathon Poster

Post by johnlvs2run » March 22nd, 2006, 8:39 pm

I reverse wrap the handle with nylon socks, like wrapping a bicycle handlebar. This gives me an excellent feel and prevents blisters, especially when wet. Some people use bicycle handlebar wrap.
bikeerg 75 5'8" 155# - 18.5 - 51.9 - 568 - 1:52.7 - 8:03.8 - 20:13.1 - 14620 - 40:58.7 - 28855 - 1:23:48.0
rowerg 56-58 5'8.5" 143# - 1:39.6 - 3:35.6 - 7:24.0 - 18:57.4 - 22:49.9 - 7793 - 38:44.7 - 1:22:48.9 - 2:58:46.2

slalomskater
Paddler

biking gloves

Post by slalomskater » March 24th, 2006, 2:56 am

I have been using cross-country mountain biking race gloves. They are full fingered so are very comfy at the catch. The ones I am using are no longer made but Pearl Izumi makes some nice ones with just a touch of padding.

michaelb
2k Poster

Post by michaelb » March 24th, 2006, 8:57 am

I wear gloves some of the time rowing, lately I have been wearing them again. I use paddling gloves from NRS that I bought for canoeing that don't have any padding on the palm (not sure why we would want padding for rowing). The NRS gloves would be ideal for warm weather kayaking. EMS (and probably lots of other places) sell NRS gloves in the store. Chota makes a fancier looking paddling gloves, I don't know they would be for rowing (I notice they say neoprene, so maybe they would be warmer). The NRS gloves are light and the leather is pretty nice, my only complaint is the velcro wrist closure.

http://nrsweb.com/shop/product.asp?pfid=2430&deptid=944

http://www.boundarywaterscatalog.com/br ... 4,3169.htm
M 51 5'9'' (1.75m), a once and future lightweight
Old PBs 500m-1:33.9 1K-3:18.6 2K-6:55.4 5K-18:17.6 10K-38:10.5 HM-1:24:00.1 FM-3:07.13

Ben Rea
2k Poster

Post by Ben Rea » March 24th, 2006, 9:23 am

i wish i could wear golves for rowing but coach says no. the erg doesnt give me too much trouble though.

Milly
Paddler

Post by Milly » March 24th, 2006, 10:07 am

Gloves aren't necessary on an erg. Unlike in a boat there's no twisting motion in the handle! So if you "need" gloves, then you're obviously doing something wrong technique-wise. Get help, not gloves.

radmanzulu
Paddler

Post by radmanzulu » March 24th, 2006, 1:10 pm

Milly wrote:Gloves aren't necessary on an erg. Unlike in a boat there's no twisting motion in the handle! So if you "need" gloves, then you're obviously doing something wrong technique-wise. Get help, not gloves.
I don't think any twisting motion is required. If the bar is in the palm of your hand and your hand is rolled over, the skin over the MCP joint is tented and pressure squeezes the stratum corneum up into a hump = callus. Weightlifters get them too without any twisting - it's just due to grasping. If anyone knows how to hold the bar without grasping it that way, I would love to hear about it. Are you supposed to roll your hand more forwards or further back? Neither feels right.

Long term, I'm guessing the inflammatory response under the callus will go away and then it won't be painful.
Rob Scott

whp4
6k Poster

Post by whp4 » March 24th, 2006, 2:46 pm

radmanzulu wrote:
Milly wrote:Gloves aren't necessary on an erg. Unlike in a boat there's no twisting motion in the handle! So if you "need" gloves, then you're obviously doing something wrong technique-wise. Get help, not gloves.
I don't think any twisting motion is required. If the bar is in the palm of your hand and your hand is rolled over, the skin over the MCP joint is tented and pressure squeezes the stratum corneum up into a hump = callus. Weightlifters get them too without any twisting - it's just due to grasping. If anyone knows how to hold the bar without grasping it that way, I would love to hear about it. Are you supposed to roll your hand more forwards or further back? Neither feels right.

Long term, I'm guessing the inflammatory response under the callus will go away and then it won't be painful.
I had eye bolts installed in my wrists, which my coach uses to padlock me to the handle. No calluses form, and the incentive to go "handle-down" in a tough workout is almost completely eliminated :lol:

Bill

Alissa
2k Poster

Post by Alissa » March 24th, 2006, 3:12 pm

radmanzulu wrote:
Emphasis added above.

Hi Rob. I've been taught that you shouldn't have the bar in the palm of your hand. Instead, you should be "hooking" your fingers over the bar. While I'm not an anatamist, I think the joint you want to invoke to hold the bar is one distal to the MCP (if I've ID's the MCP correctly that is :oops: ):
Image Note that the image on the left suggests a slight bend upward at the wrist...you won't want to do that--keep it level and flat. (I'll try to correct the illustration when I get home...).

Alissa