Night Before-to Help You Finish The Chalenge

read only section for reference and search purposes.
[old] grams

Women's Forum

Post by [old] grams » December 21st, 2005, 4:16 pm

Apologies to the author, Major Henry Livingston Jr. (1748-1828)<br />(previously believed to be by Clement Clarke Moore)<br /><br />THE NIGHT OF THE CHALLENGE<br />'Twas the night before Christmas and all through the basement<br />The sound of the rain came through the casement;<br />The stereo was playing by the erg with much force,<br />In hopes that the Challenge would soon run its course;<br /><br />The door was wide open to let in the air,<br />While visions of t-shirts danced everywhere;<br />And hubby in his shorts, and I in my briefs,<br />Were both hoping for a session's relief,<br /><br />When out on the patio there arose such a clatter,<br />I sprang from the erg to see what was the matter.<br />Away to the door I limped, oh so weak,<br />Slid open the screen and took a quick peek.<br /><br />When, what to my wondering eyes should appear,<br />But a new Model D and a guy with no fear,<br />He lept from the 'D', with nary a fall,<br />I knew in a moment it must be coach Paul.<br /><br />"Now, SLOWER! now, STRONGER! now, DRIVE WITH CONVICTION!<br />On, 10-MPS! On CATCH!, NO STRAPS, NO RESTRICTION!<br />To the end of the glide! to the front of the rail!<br />"Now pull away! pull away! Your Challenge will not fail"<br /><br />And then in a twinkling, I heard in my head,<br />The countdown to zero as my face glowed so red.<br />I threw up my hands, and let the flywheel slow up,<br />Down the hatch the water slid with a gulp.<br /><br />I spoke not a word, but went straight back to work,<br />And cranked up the chain; which returned with a jerk,<br />And wiping my brow and the bridge of my nose,<br />And making an effort, up the meters they rose;<br /><br />The time it went by, and my bum really ached.<br />And I knew in my heart, my strokes were not faked,<br />10,000 to go, then 8,000, then five<br />I thought to myself the end would never arrive,<br /><br />My last meters ticked off, to my spouse I gave a whistle,<br />And away to the Concept website I flew like a missile.<br />He heard me exclaim, ere he stepped into sight,<br />"HAPPY CHALLENGE TO ALL, AND TO ALL A GOOD-NIGHT!" <br /><br />

[old] woolsmith

Women's Forum

Post by [old] woolsmith » December 21st, 2005, 4:53 pm

Grams, what a hoot! This was great!<br /><br /> <br /><br />--Jen in WI, who will now be looking for Santa in something other than a sleigh....

[old] Mark Keating

Women's Forum

Post by [old] Mark Keating » December 21st, 2005, 7:15 pm

[old] edollar

Women's Forum

Post by [old] edollar » December 21st, 2005, 9:29 pm

Just wonderful!! I definitely know about the door having to be open and the face glowing red....<br /><br />Ellen

[old] Krysta Coleman

Women's Forum

Post by [old] Krysta Coleman » December 21st, 2005, 9:31 pm

That's Classic! Loved it!

[old] kelley127

Women's Forum

Post by [old] kelley127 » December 22nd, 2005, 1:26 am

Wow - Excellent!! Highly enjoyable - Michelle

LindaM

Women's Forum

Post by LindaM » December 22nd, 2005, 9:14 am

Wonderful, grams! It will be read out loud at our staff meeting this morning.<br /><br />- Linda<br />@ C2

[old] holladay

Women's Forum

Post by [old] holladay » December 22nd, 2005, 9:22 am

Thanks Grams,<br /><br />I needed that. I have to sit down to a HM this morning. I am close but every so far away. I need that grin.<br /><br />Susan

[old] grams

Women's Forum

Post by [old] grams » December 22nd, 2005, 1:59 pm

I'm working on another one. Please help me out. Apologies to all who don't tamper with traditional carols:<br /><br />My place on the Nonathlon has drifted steadily downward as more and more newbies get better and better at erging. <br /><br />To the tune of "Oh, Christmas Tree"<br /><br />Nonathlon, Oh Nonathlon<br />How fleeting are my rankings...<br /><br />Any suggestions for some more lines? Here is an English translation of the real thing. Halladay, maybe you can think ofthe rest while you do your hm??<br /><br />O Christmas tree, O Christmas tree,<br />Thy leaves are so unchanging. <br />O Christmas tree, O Christmas tree,<br />Thy leaves are so unchanging.<br />Not only green when summer's here<br />But also when 'tis cold and drear. <br />O Christmas tree, O Christmas tree,<br />Thy leaves are so unchanging. <br />O Christmas tree, O Christmas tree,<br />You fill all hearts with gaiety.<br />O Christmas tree, O Christmas tree,<br />You fill all hearts with gaiety.<br />On Christmas Day, you stand so tall,<br />Affording joy to one and all. <br />O Christmas tree, O Christmas tree,<br />You fill all hearts with gaiety. <br /><br />grams, the lyrical diva

[old] LittleBit

Women's Forum

Post by [old] LittleBit » December 22nd, 2005, 4:34 pm

Thank you Grams!<br />With the week I've been having, and trying to finish my little HC, I did need this laugh! <br />Catherine

[old] rhorva@hotmail.com

Women's Forum

Post by [old] rhorva@hotmail.com » December 22nd, 2005, 10:55 pm

Love it, Grams. I'm printing off your poem and pasting it up to cheer me through the last two days of some serious power rowing.<br /><br />Anybody know how to make the little picture of my duck appear by my posts in here??<br /><br />GO GRAMS, signed... Rubber Ducky