Chafed backside!!

General discussion on Training. How to get better on your erg, how to use your erg to get better at another sport, or anything else about improving your abilities.
rhyszoe
Paddler

Chafed backside!!

Post by rhyszoe » February 19th, 2011, 6:43 pm

I had my first workout on a dynamic Concept 2 a couple of days ago, after nearly a year working out regularly on the standard model. I have never had a problem with chaffing on my rear end before, not even when I rowed in the boat back when dinosaurs roamed the earth. To be fair, it was a pretty hot day (33C/90F) with humidity up around 75% and I was understandably sweating copiously and a 30 minute session under those conditions was no picnic! I was wearing just a regular pair of cotton shorts and briefs. Back when I rowed in the boat, we wore woollen rowing shorts, which no longer seem to be the fashion, but they certainly kept me free of chaffing!
The dynamic machine certainly had a different feel to it and perhaps I was unconsiously squirming a little on the seat, which may have contributed to the raw back end from which I am currently suffering! Then again, it may have just been the sweat, or a combination of the two. Do other people wear anything special to prevent chaffing? Any suggestions? This looks like putting me out of action for a few days!