Around the World Row!

Not sure where you should be posting? Put it here.
Tyn
10k Poster

Post by Tyn » January 28th, 2007, 7:32 pm

good old Don from La Mancha
Great Birgitte, you know your 'history'!!

BTW. there is a great song by the 'NITS' thats called the ' Dutch mountains '

GO Eh! Go!
Tyn

M42H

"We keep you alive to serve this ship. So row well and live."

"Nobody move! I've dropped me brain!"

BriK
500m Poster

Post by BriK » January 28th, 2007, 7:46 pm

Tyn wrote:Great Birgitte, you know your 'history'!!
Hm, well,actually no, but as we get older, our memory startes to fade (... or is it just the eyesight???)
Tyn wrote:BTW. there is a great song by the 'NITS' thats called the ' Dutch mountains '
Yep, I was thinking of that song and had to dig it out from my old mp3 collection. Must be quite a few years ago (but, as I said, memory starts to fade .. so how many decades ago was that? 20 or so?)

Anyway, I forgot to say:

THE END IS NEAR!!!
Only 3 more days to go for the JVC, so:
Repent and row! :lol:

Or, in other words: just keep doing what you have been doing all month long, Team! Great rowing everyone!!! We can all be proud of what we have already achieved this month!!! :D

Bob S.
Marathon Poster

Post by Bob S. » January 29th, 2007, 1:58 am

danwho wrote:Don Quixote's from Spain, but I always thought the plains of Montiel were in Holland. I will have to ask Ancho about this... sometime.
There are plenty of windmills in Iberia, both the old style with cloth sails and the modern power generators with metal blades. I saw the old ones in Portugal and the modern ones just a few miles west of Pamplona.

ulu
2k Poster

Post by ulu » January 29th, 2007, 11:30 pm

BriK wrote:
THE END IS NEAR!!!
Yikes! We are in the United States of America all ready and only a few million meters to go.

Point your browsers to http://216.119.121.169/coastalrow/ and then click on the routes tab. You can start the coastal row file by clicking "view in goole earth". Make any modifications you would like and upload it back up to the site. (Save it as a kml file then use the upload link. You will have to rename before uploading.)

The current .kml file does the coast of North America starting in Vermont, heads south around the tip of south america, then back up along the west coast, through the arctic around greenland and back to vermont. I have 74 waypoints in it and it would be a very rough translation of the coast. It is about 59 million meters as it stands. I figure we will have time to work on europe,asia etc as we row. If you want to make it a more accurate representation, add more waypoints between the ones I have.

Sound complicated? It isn't. Just do it.

Keep on rowin', eh.

Jim
Jim
[url=http://67.199.38.245/c2coastal/]Eh!Team ROWING THE COAST of the WORLD[/url] <--- click here

margaret
500m Poster

Post by margaret » January 30th, 2007, 2:44 am

30,000 to go :D :D :D

I tried adding more detailed points on the California and Alaska coast. Hope I did it right.

I've always wanted to row the Inside Passage...maybe we can take that route, eh? It's more scenic and I have read of a pair who rowed it, one in a kayak, the other in an ocean rowing shell. They said it worked well: one set of eyes ahead, the other behind.
F45, HW
Feel the best I can, Do the most I can, Thank God
[img]http://www.c2ctc.com/sigs/img1169360601.png[/img]

Yukon John
1k Poster

Post by Yukon John » January 30th, 2007, 5:01 pm

margaret wrote:30,000 to go :D :D :D

I tried adding more detailed points on the California and Alaska coast. Hope I did it right.

I've always wanted to row the Inside Passage...maybe we can take that route, eh? It's more scenic and I have read of a pair who rowed it, one in a kayak, the other in an ocean rowing shell. They said it worked well: one set of eyes ahead, the other behind.
Hi Margaret,
The inside passage is a nice trip. A friend of mine and I Kayaked it in a double back in 1984 from Haines AK to Seatle, Wash. It took us 45 days (I'm sure as a group we could do it in a day or two :shock: . It was a wet trip, raining 44 out of the 45 days, but we saw lots of wildlife and met many very nice people along the way. One of the harder parts of the trip is finding places to camp. Much of the coastline has been clear cut at one time or another and the forest that first grows back in it's place is very dense. That and few beaches can make finding a tent spot difficult. If you get a chance to do it though, I'd recommend the trip (especially the section from Haines to Prince Ruport.) Watch for bears though, especially if you stop on Admiralty Island. I've read that it had the thickest concentration of brown bears anywhere!
[img]http://www.c2ctc.com/sigs/img1151982539.png[/img]

Age 47, 6'0", 164 lbs.
100k row completed 11/25/06 7:48:45.2

BriK
500m Poster

Post by BriK » January 30th, 2007, 5:41 pm

Cheering and waving arms for you on these final meters, Margaret!!! :D Great job!!! GO MARGARET GO!!! :D

(admiring your rowing even more, as I'm still stuck right in the middle and still soooo many meters to go ...)

Jim, the coastal route looks great! Thanks for organizing this new trip!!! I'm currently a bit tight in schedule, but I'll have a look at the route as soon as I find some time.

ulu
2k Poster

Post by ulu » January 30th, 2007, 7:16 pm

After you have modified the file, you should save it with a different name, such as margarets.kml.

You do this by right clicking on the route on the left side of the google earth screen. Then choose "Save as...", give it a new name and make sure to save it as a .kml file.
The next step is to use the upload tool on the routes site to upload your file.

Let me know if anyone needs any more instructions or if you are having problems.

Keep on rowin', eh.

Jim
Jim
[url=http://67.199.38.245/c2coastal/]Eh!Team ROWING THE COAST of the WORLD[/url] <--- click here

ulu
2k Poster

Post by ulu » January 31st, 2007, 1:43 am

It would not be proper to blast through San Antonio

without a quick trip to the Alamo

Here are my boys at the Alamo.
The picture is from 5 or 6 years ago, they are a LOT bigger now.
Jim

margaret
500m Poster

Wow we're fast

Post by margaret » January 31st, 2007, 7:03 pm

We're really racing around the globe. Not that we should row any less, but should our virtual boat slow down a bit to enjoy the landscape?

Congrats on the meters everyone. I finished my challenge today with a cuurent year PB in 60 minutes (12910); almost matched my all-time PB from 3 years ago (13, 019). Now I know what I want to do next month!
F45, HW

RR1 Kirk
1k Poster

Post by RR1 Kirk » January 31st, 2007, 8:41 pm

Congratulations on completing your million meter challenge Margaret! An amazing feat. Also, but no less, congrats on your hour. Good luck lowering your times over the next month.

Cheers,
Kirk Nelson [img]http://www.c2forum.com/images/avatars/338518880475195dbd7bd8.jpg[/img]
49yrs, 5'7.5", 145 lb.
[img]http://www.c2ctc.com/sigs/img1167078175.png[/img]
"It never gets easier, you just go faster." - Greg Lemond

danwho
10k Poster

Post by danwho » January 31st, 2007, 10:54 pm

Yes, congratulations Margaret.
I think now you can put your feet up for a little while.

Tyn
10k Poster

Post by Tyn » February 1st, 2007, 11:34 am

danwho wrote:Yes, congratulations Margaret.
I think now you can put your feet up for a little while.
DITO

Congrats Margare!! Great!!

And David, got a suit yet? for the wedding?
Get a white smoking!! This is the monment!!

After the wedding you can row in it!!
Tyn

M42H

"We keep you alive to serve this ship. So row well and live."

"Nobody move! I've dropped me brain!"

DavidA
10k Poster

Post by DavidA » February 1st, 2007, 4:37 pm

I would like to add my congratulations Margaret! It's tirings just thinking about it B)

Tyn,
Yes I have a suit, but black like the rest of the men will be wearing.
I doubt I will be doing any rowing afterwards. It will be too late, and I will be too worn out.

David
63 y / 70 kg / 172 cm / 5 kids / 17 grandkids :)
Received my model C erg 18-Dec-1994
my log

margaret
500m Poster

Thanks

Post by margaret » February 1st, 2007, 6:00 pm

Thanks for the kudos. It felt great to succeed, and even better that I can see the difference in my fitness. I don't want to lose this progress. Onward, ho! (or was that "Yukon, ho!")
F45, HW