Around the World Row!

Not sure where you should be posting? Put it here.
ulu
2k Poster

Post by ulu » December 2nd, 2006, 12:24 am

A hearty Eh!Team welcome to Margaret Drumm of Fort Bragg, Callifornia. Her goals of a million meters in 10 weeks should certainly help us around the world.

The Eh!Team boat has now turned the corner at Santiago. I really must go there for a coffeeone day.

We are also over 41,000,000 meters!

At this pace we are going to be into C2 headquarters much quicker than anticipated. I for one have enjoyed this around the world row and it definitely has kept me motivated at times. It is not too early to start thinking if we want to extend our goals after this row. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Keep on rowin', eh.

Jim
Jim
[url=http://67.199.38.245/c2coastal/]Eh!Team ROWING THE COAST of the WORLD[/url] <--- click here

danwho
10k Poster

Post by danwho » December 2nd, 2006, 10:31 am

One suggestion might be around-the-world on a different route - that would include stops in Munich and Fort Bragg, CA (each team member's home) and, of course, it would have to begin and end in Canada. Yellowknife would have to be the last stop - party would be at your house.
Given the approaching Christmas season, another suggestion might be a trip around the world following Santa's route. Of course, it might take us longer than one night.

danwho
10k Poster

Post by danwho » December 2nd, 2006, 10:45 am

Well, I thought I was just kidding around while talking about Santa' route. Seems that notion has become pretty sophisticated.
http://www.travelbygps.com/special/santa/santa2006.php

danwho
10k Poster

Post by danwho » December 2nd, 2006, 10:56 am

I see Sao Paulo is our next destination. I was there on one of my few business trips - to Banco Itau. The first thing I did after checking into my hotel room was flush the toilet so I could watch it swirl the other way.

Calgary Rob
Paddler

Post by Calgary Rob » December 2nd, 2006, 12:22 pm

Yukon John wrote:
pss. Good job Rob on getting into the CTC boat early for Dec. Great time too!
Thanks John and congratulations on your 100K, incredible. Well done to Francois on the 2K time too.

I've not been on the forum for a while so welcome to the newer peeps.

I was surprised to see that I was one of the 'originals' on the 'round the world', it seems quite a while ago that it started.

As for the CTC boats, I am erging almost daily at the moment (cold weather in Calgary etc) and I try to keep the pace steady. So, whatever the CTC distance is, I'll set the interval timer to that distance and take the first interval (i.e. the one from the standing start). The 5K time was the first 5K of an 8K row yesterday.

I do enjoy progressing down through the boats though :D

Currently I'm going quite well in the Holiday Challenge so I might try a faster 5K once that's over.
Male - 43 yrs, Wt - 150 lbs

1K - 3:44.2, 2K - 7:15.7, 5K - 19:24.5,
6K - 23:47, 30 mins - 7530m, 10K - 39:53,
HM - 1:29:15

Trevor
Paddler

Post by Trevor » December 2nd, 2006, 1:45 pm

Maybe we should row around the world the long way; i.e. following the coast lines of the continents. We could start in Vermont, go down the east coast of North and South America, around Antarctica, up the west coast of N and S America, across the Bering Strait and so on. We would have to jump across the North Atlantic from the Faroes-Iceland-Greenland.

Does Vermont have a coast?

Trevor Reeves
5' 10.5" 183 lb 53 years

RR1 Kirk
1k Poster

Post by RR1 Kirk » December 2nd, 2006, 8:53 pm

Well done David! Nice PB.

It looks like I've some serious training to do to get back in the game.

Right now I'm just trying to keep on schedule with the Holiday Challenge. I'm a bit behind, but I'll catch up.

Trevor, Vermont looks to have about 25k of coastline. I'm sure Captain Jim will be able to plot a course.

Cheers,

Kirk
Kirk Nelson [img]http://www.c2forum.com/images/avatars/338518880475195dbd7bd8.jpg[/img]
49yrs, 5'7.5", 145 lb.
[img]http://www.c2ctc.com/sigs/img1167078175.png[/img]
"It never gets easier, you just go faster." - Greg Lemond

ulu
2k Poster

Post by ulu » December 3rd, 2006, 3:53 pm

Great suggestions on the routes, thanx.

What kind of distance do you think we should be aiming for? We currently have 54 Eh!Team members. Our present route around the world was about 55 million meters and it is going to take us about 1 year. That was with about 44-45 members most of the time.

I think something over 100 million meters would be worth the challenge. The coast line route would be well over that and if you folks are up to it, I can start plotting a route. Let me know. I may need your help on the route plotting, but if we decide on this route, I will show you how.

I have also put another link on the Eh!Team site. It is to our significant events and is accessible from the top menu on the main page.

Also, kudos to Brigitte for sneaking in a 50k plus row. Did she think we wouldn't notice??

Keep on rowin', eh.

Jim
Jim
[url=http://67.199.38.245/c2coastal/]Eh!Team ROWING THE COAST of the WORLD[/url] <--- click here

BriK
500m Poster

Post by BriK » December 3rd, 2006, 7:16 pm

ulu wrote:Also, kudos to Brigitte for sneaking in a 50k plus row. Did she think we wouldn't notice??
I should have known that one can't have any secrets from you! :lol: Thanks for the kudos, Jim!
The coast line route sounds great! If there is any way I can help with plotting the route, let me know, Jim.

Margaret, great to see you here on the forum! I saw your meters on the Holiday Mesage Board - wow, you are doing great on your way to the Million meters challenge. I bet you will make it! Actually you inspire me to try this too, maybe after Christmas. Will have to think about it - it would mean to row twice as much as I do right now, or actually to row more regularly (which is something I always struggle with).
With your 3 daughters also doing the challenge, you ladies will really have something to brag about!!! :D

ulu
2k Poster

Post by ulu » December 4th, 2006, 12:49 am

We just went smoking past Cordoba, Argentina It looks like they may have finally figured outwhat this image from Cardoba is.

It's our own virtual Eh!Team boat, smoking past eh!

Keep on rowin', eh.

Jim
Jim

margaret
500m Poster

Post by margaret » December 5th, 2006, 1:47 am

I vote for the coastline route. Don't know where you come up with those photos, Jim, but I enjoy them, and often get a good laugh.

Brigitte, this is way more distance than I've attempted before and I surprised myself to get them in the first week. Now, I'm hoping the motivation that "i've made it this far, don't want to stop now" will keep me at it. Just like all my timed rows. It's pretty much a double workout for me, so I also tell myself this is to make up for all the days of exercise I missed :wink: . And I'm very proud of my daughters for getting into this too. Lots of kudos for them.

I think I missed the deadline for the C2C 2k (forgot that it was already December!) but I think I've figured it out now and will have plenty of opportunities to put in a timed 5k.

Margaret

Tinpusher
2k Poster

Post by Tinpusher » December 5th, 2006, 4:06 pm

I'm all in favour of a coastal RTW routing. I think as a team we're definately good for the challenge.

Kirk - My 5 and 6K needed some improvement so I did them both a day apart. I tried for a 30 minute PB too on the third day but missed it by 61 metres! You'd think I'd know when to give up!

What's with all the ultra distances? Its good for the RTW progress: making my guess obviously the correct one! B) Congratulations John and Brigitte. 100K and 50K are incredible feats of endurance that I'm certain I will never ever try!

We're still a bit thin at the CTC this month. Nice time by Mark though and Rob's done two! Come on, where are you all?

Cheers

Dave
David Chmilowskyj
M 56 6ft 4in/1.94m 230lb/105kg
Team Oarsome

BriK
500m Poster

Post by BriK » December 5th, 2006, 8:53 pm

Jim, with the fuming speed of our boat these days, I guess we are slowly approaching light speed, so it's no wonder that we could make a leap back in time into the sixties! :lol:. The fan cage must have terrified people back then!

Margaret, 100k a week for 10 weeks is HUGE, and you are doing great!!! I confess I still struggle with myself if I would be able to follow your example and try this too. So far the most I have been able to do for an extended period of time, was about 90k a week for a month, which I found pretty hard. But 100k for 10 weeks!!! I really admire your determination, Margaret!

Dave, congratiulations on your PB for the 5k at the ctc. When I see your awesome times, it's hard to believe that you have only been rowing for a few months!!! Keep up the great work! And thanks for the kudos, but I have to confess that I did the 50k with some breaks in between, so it's not anywhere as big an achievement as John's 100k. I'm currently just building up my aerobic capacty, so that hopefully my next FM won't be as painful as my first.

Yukon John
1k Poster

Post by Yukon John » December 5th, 2006, 11:40 pm

I don't really recommend doing a 100k if your goal is to get faster on the erg. It's been about 10 days now since I've done it and the idea of trying to go fast for the CTC isn't too appealing. The recovery is going to take a while :( .

Dave, you amaze me that you could do 3 races in three days. Well done! Have you looked into Rowpro at all? There are some people that do a lot of racing on-line. I bet you would do well there.

Brigitte and Margaret, good luck on your meter goals!

Jim, the coastal route sounds great to me too. As always, thanks for all the work that you do for us!!! John.
[img]http://www.c2ctc.com/sigs/img1151982539.png[/img]

Age 47, 6'0", 164 lbs.
100k row completed 11/25/06 7:48:45.2

ulu
2k Poster

Post by ulu » December 6th, 2006, 12:10 am

That big river we just crossed over was the Rio Corriente. It gets all of its water from rainfall, no streams or mountain rivers flow into it! It is also the home of this fellow:

The Dorado or River Tiger, it looks like it might be fun to try and catch one of these guys.

Thanx to everyone's great rowing we have made it over 42,000,000 meters. Great rowing everyone and some stellar times on the C2C. I will try and put my 5k time up sometime soon.

Keep on rowin', eh.

Jim
Jim