Team Row Pain, Row Gain

read only section for reference and search purposes.
[old] code_monkey

Weight Loss/ Weight Control

Post by [old] code_monkey » September 24th, 2005, 4:38 pm

<!--QuoteBegin-Steelhead+Sep 24 2005, 08:32 AM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(Steelhead @ Sep 24 2005, 08:32 AM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin-->Hi Everyone:<br /><br />Even when we think we're too tired or busy to row, we might want to just row four 30-second bursts of all-out effort with four-minute rests in between each sprint. Six sessions of sprint interval training increased students' endurance capacity by 100%. And tests showed that their muscles were burning oxygen much more efficiently. According to this study, six minutes of intense exercise a week can keep people as fit as three hour-long jogs. This "sprint interval training" [of just four 30-second bursts of all-out effort with 4 minute rests in between] adds up to [the equivalent of] three 20-minute sessions a week, says Martin J. Gibala, PhD, associate professor of kinesiology at McMaster University in Hamilton, Ontario.<br /><a href='http://www.medicinenet.com/script/main/ ... ekey=47463' target='_blank'>http://www.medicinenet.com/script/main/ ... 463</a><br /><br />So, let's see at least six minutes of rowing each week from those who aren't rowing.    Or more. <br /><br />Mike <br /> </td></tr></table><br /><br /><br />I'm sure this goes without saying, but if you do this, just be sure your muscles are sufficiently warmed up. I know that if I were to go all out like that I would probably hurt my back again. As it is I'm taking it much easier than I had been but I'm back up to 30-45 minutes at a time at a pace of 2:20-2:25/500 meters.<br />That being said, what do you all think is a good warmup for something like this? Is 500 meters good enough? 1000 meters? 5 minutes?<br /><br /><br />-jason<br /><br />

[old] jimjayhawk

Post by [old] jimjayhawk » September 24th, 2005, 5:53 pm

<!--QuoteBegin-fornelli+Sep 24 2005, 03:38 PM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(fornelli @ Sep 24 2005, 03:38 PM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin--><!--QuoteBegin-Steelhead+Sep 24 2005, 08:32 AM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(Steelhead @ Sep 24 2005, 08:32 AM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin-->Hi Everyone:<br /><br />Even when we think we're too tired or busy to row, we might want to just row four 30-second bursts of all-out effort with four-minute rests in between each sprint. Six sessions of sprint interval training increased students' endurance capacity by 100%. And tests showed that their muscles were burning oxygen much more efficiently. According to this study, six minutes of intense exercise a week can keep people as fit as three hour-long jogs. This "sprint interval training" [of just four 30-second bursts of all-out effort with 4 minute rests in between] adds up to [the equivalent of] three 20-minute sessions a week, says Martin J. Gibala, PhD, associate professor of kinesiology at McMaster University in Hamilton, Ontario.<br /><a href='http://www.medicinenet.com/script/main/ ... ekey=47463' target='_blank'>http://www.medicinenet.com/script/main/ ... 463</a><br /><br />So, let's see at least six minutes of rowing each week from those who aren't rowing.     Or more. <br /><br />Mike <br /><br /><br /> </td></tr></table><br /><br /><br />I'm sure this goes without saying, but if you do this, just be sure your muscles are sufficiently warmed up. I know that if I were to go all out like that I would probably hurt my back again. As it is I'm taking it much easier than I had been but I'm back up to 30-45 minutes at a time at a pace of 2:20-2:25/500 meters.<br />That being said, what do you all think is a good warmup for something like this? Is 500 meters good enough? 1000 meters? 5 minutes?<br /><br /><br />-jason <br /> </td></tr></table><br /><br /><br />I think that adequate warm-up is a relative term... there are some days that I'm feeling good - no aches and pain and I've been fairly active and 500 meters is plenty... other days (more common) it takes every bit of 10 minutes to work the kinks out before I dare put much thrust into the legs... <br /><br />I like the idea of short interval training for those "lesser days"... too often if I don't have at least 30 minutes or don't feel like it - I don't do anything at all. <br /><br />Jim S.

[old] Meri Goehring

Post by [old] Meri Goehring » September 24th, 2005, 10:59 pm

OOps. I fell off the wagon. Just when I thought I could get away without rowing again this week, those of you on the 'team' have made me feel guilty. I realize now that even on busy days, I can do something to help train! <br />So, tonite I drank some incredibly good wine, had wonderful grilled meats and cheese, and finished with heirloom apples that tasted like like strawberries! Anyone interested in 'ravenous rowing'?<br />Thanks again for providing inspiration to keep rowing!<br />Meri Goehring (newbie to the row-pain, row-gain group, and admittedly a bit more enthused about the gain than the pain!)<br /><br /><!--QuoteBegin-jimjayhawk+Sep 24 2005, 04:53 PM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(jimjayhawk @ Sep 24 2005, 04:53 PM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin--><!--QuoteBegin-fornelli+Sep 24 2005, 03:38 PM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(fornelli @ Sep 24 2005, 03:38 PM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin--><!--QuoteBegin-Steelhead+Sep 24 2005, 08:32 AM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(Steelhead @ Sep 24 2005, 08:32 AM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin-->Hi Everyone:<br /><br />Even when we think we're too tired or busy to row, we might want to just row four 30-second bursts of all-out effort with four-minute rests in between each sprint. Six sessions of sprint interval training increased students' endurance capacity by 100%. And tests showed that their muscles were burning oxygen much more efficiently. According to this study, six minutes of intense exercise a week can keep people as fit as three hour-long jogs. This "sprint interval training" [of just four 30-second bursts of all-out effort with 4 minute rests in between] adds up to [the equivalent of] three 20-minute sessions a week, says Martin J. Gibala, PhD, associate professor of kinesiology at McMaster University in Hamilton, Ontario.<br /><a href='http://www.medicinenet.com/script/main/ ... ekey=47463' target='_blank'>http://www.medicinenet.com/script/main/ ... 463</a><br /><br />So, let's see at least six minutes of rowing each week from those who aren't rowing.     Or more. <br /><br />Mike <br /><br /><br /> </td></tr></table><br /><br /><br />I'm sure this goes without saying, but if you do this, just be sure your muscles are sufficiently warmed up. I know that if I were to go all out like that I would probably hurt my back again. As it is I'm taking it much easier than I had been but I'm back up to 30-45 minutes at a time at a pace of 2:20-2:25/500 meters.<br />That being said, what do you all think is a good warmup for something like this? Is 500 meters good enough? 1000 meters? 5 minutes?<br /><br /><br />-jason <br /> </td></tr></table><br /><br /><br />I think that adequate warm-up is a relative term... there are some days that I'm feeling good - no aches and pain and I've been fairly active and 500 meters is plenty... other days (more common) it takes every bit of 10 minutes to work the kinks out before I dare put much thrust into the legs... <br /><br />I like the idea of short interval training for those "lesser days"... too often if I don't have at least 30 minutes or don't feel like it - I don't do anything at all. <br /><br />Jim S. <br /> </td></tr></table><br />

[old] jimjayhawk

Post by [old] jimjayhawk » September 24th, 2005, 11:24 pm

[quote=Meri Goehring,Sep 24 2005, 09:59 PM]<br />OOps. I fell off the wagon. Just when I thought I could get away without rowing again this week, those of you on the 'team' have made me feel guilty. I realize now that even on busy days, I can do something to help train! <br />So, tonite I drank some incredibly good wine, had wonderful grilled meats and cheese, and finished with heirloom apples that tasted like like strawberries! Anyone interested in 'ravenous rowing'?<br />Thanks again for providing inspiration to keep rowing!<br />Meri Goehring (newbie to the row-pain, row-gain group, and admittedly a bit more enthused about the gain than the pain!)<br /><br /><br />Meri, <br /><br />It need not be about the pain at all... simply rowing whatever, whenever you can is reward unto itself... <br /><br />Some of us have caught a bit of erg-fever.... and as a result row into the pain chasing the objective of the week/month/year... fortunately(??) my body is letting me know loud and clear the limits of my erg-fever if I am to remain ambulatory and not spend the remainder of the year in traction or with a PT... I'd love to be one of those approaching 2 million meters... but it is not to be<br /><br />The cool thing about RPRG is that one and all are welcome regardless of the stage of your fever! <br /><br />Jim S.

[old] Normsthename

Post by [old] Normsthename » September 25th, 2005, 9:12 am

Today I was adding to my metres, and I felt quite good, and was really going for it on a 500 metres.<br />I have a TV & DVD Player in the garage along with the Concept and was watching TV, anyway I was 3/4 quarters of the way thru' the hard 500 metres, and my heart rate was quite high when an advert came on the TV for the UK heart foundation with the screen saying in big letters<br /><br /><b>"Every two minutes, someone dies of an heart attack"</b><br /><br />What a downer!<br />I slowed down..... <br /><br />Andy<br />

[old] Meri Goehring

Post by [old] Meri Goehring » September 25th, 2005, 12:34 pm

Thanks for the encouraging words. I made my 10000 this am only 7 seconds off my personal best, and didn't gain weight. So, I am back on the wagon, with a goal to loose 2 lbs this week. I must admit, it does help to be in a virtual team, even though I can't consider myself one of the 'hard-core' erg folks. Every little row helps. <br />Meri<br />[quote=jimjayhawk,Sep 24 2005, 10:24 PM]<br />[quote=Meri Goehring,Sep 24 2005, 09:59 PM]<br />OOps. I fell off the wagon. Just when I thought I could get away without rowing again this week, those of you on the 'team' have made me feel guilty. I realize now that even on busy days, I can do something to help train! <br />So, tonite I drank some incredibly good wine, had wonderful grilled meats and cheese, and finished with heirloom apples that tasted like like strawberries! Anyone interested in 'ravenous rowing'?<br />Thanks again for providing inspiration to keep rowing!<br />Meri Goehring (newbie to the row-pain, row-gain group, and admittedly a bit more enthused about the gain than the pain!)<br /><br /><br />Meri, <br /><br />It need not be about the pain at all... simply rowing whatever, whenever you can is reward unto itself... <br /><br />Some of us have caught a bit of erg-fever.... and as a result row into the pain chasing the objective of the week/month/year... fortunately(??) my body is letting me know loud and clear the limits of my erg-fever if I am to remain ambulatory and not spend the remainder of the year in traction or with a PT... I'd love to be one of those approaching 2 million meters... but it is not to be<br /><br />The cool thing about RPRG is that one and all are welcome regardless of the stage of your fever! <br /><br />Jim S. <br />[/quote]<br />

[old] jimjayhawk

Post by [old] jimjayhawk » September 25th, 2005, 6:20 pm

<!--QuoteBegin-Normsthename+Sep 25 2005, 08:12 AM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(Normsthename @ Sep 25 2005, 08:12 AM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin-->Today I was adding to my metres, and I felt quite good, and was really going for it on a 500 metres.<br />I have a TV & DVD Player in the garage along with the Concept and was watching TV, anyway I was 3/4 quarters of the way thru' the hard 500 metres, and my heart rate was quite high when an advert came on the TV for the UK heart foundation with the screen saying in big letters<br /><br /><b>"Every two minutes, someone dies of an heart attack"</b><br /><br />What a downer!<br />I slowed down..... <br /><br />Andy <br /> </td></tr></table><br /><br />Andy, <br /><br />I'd wager that a majority of those dying every two minutes of a heart attack are those who consider getting off the sofa at half-time their exercise for the day... if you are concerned by all means consult with your physician... <br /><br />I consider every two minutes I row as increasing the odds that I won't be one of the infarc victims<br /><br />Jim S

[old] cnapier

Post by [old] cnapier » September 26th, 2005, 7:39 am

<!--QuoteBegin-Steelhead+Sep 24 2005, 11:32 AM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(Steelhead @ Sep 24 2005, 11:32 AM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin-->Hi Everyone:<br /><br />Even when we think we're too tired or busy to row, we might want to just row four 30-second bursts of all-out effort with four-minute rests in between each sprint. Six sessions of sprint interval training increased students' endurance capacity by 100%. And tests showed that their muscles were burning oxygen much more efficiently. According to this study, six minutes of intense exercise a week can keep people as fit as three hour-long jogs. This "sprint interval training" [of just four 30-second bursts of all-out effort with 4 minute rests in between] adds up to [the equivalent of] three 20-minute sessions a week, says Martin J. Gibala, PhD, associate professor of kinesiology at McMaster University in Hamilton, Ontario.<br /><a href='http://www.medicinenet.com/script/main/ ... ekey=47463' target='_blank'>http://www.medicinenet.com/script/main/ ... 463</a><br /><br />So, let's see at least six minutes of rowing each week from those who aren't rowing.    Or more. <br /><br />Mike <br /> </td></tr></table><br /><br />Morning Mike,<br /><br />Just looked at the standings...and you are gone??<br /><br />I hope this is an error because you have been a great motivator, heck I had even put in a couple of 100%+ heartrate spikes into my 10K sets just for kicks.<br /><br />Charles

[old] Steelhead

Post by [old] Steelhead » September 26th, 2005, 8:42 pm

<!--QuoteBegin-cnapier+Sep 26 2005, 04:39 AM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(cnapier @ Sep 26 2005, 04:39 AM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin--><!--QuoteBegin-Steelhead+Sep 24 2005, 11:32 AM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(Steelhead @ Sep 24 2005, 11:32 AM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin-->Hi Everyone:<br /><br />Even when we think we're too tired or busy to row, we might want to just row four 30-second bursts of all-out effort with four-minute rests in between each sprint. Six sessions of sprint interval training increased students' endurance capacity by 100%. And tests showed that their muscles were burning oxygen much more efficiently. According to this study, six minutes of intense exercise a week can keep people as fit as three hour-long jogs. This "sprint interval training" [of just four 30-second bursts of all-out effort with 4 minute rests in between] adds up to [the equivalent of] three 20-minute sessions a week, says Martin J. Gibala, PhD, associate professor of kinesiology at McMaster University in Hamilton, Ontario.<br /><a href='http://www.medicinenet.com/script/main/ ... ekey=47463' target='_blank'>http://www.medicinenet.com/script/main/ ... 463</a><br /><br />So, let's see at least six minutes of rowing each week from those who aren't rowing.    Or more. <br /><br />Mike <br /> </td></tr></table><br /><br />Morning Mike,<br /><br />Just looked at the standings...and you are gone??<br /><br />I hope this is an error because you have been a great motivator, heck I had even put in a couple of 100%+ heartrate spikes into my 10K sets just for kicks.<br /><br />Charles <br /> </td></tr></table><br /><br /><br />Just a glitch when updating my profile.

[old] code_monkey

Post by [old] code_monkey » September 27th, 2005, 10:57 am

<!--QuoteBegin-Steelhead+Sep 26 2005, 04:42 PM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(Steelhead @ Sep 26 2005, 04:42 PM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin--><br />Just a glitch when updating my profile.  <br /> </td></tr></table><br /><br />Welcome back Mike. Good to have you up at the top, leading the team further.

[old] Steelhead

Post by [old] Steelhead » September 29th, 2005, 10:58 pm

<!--QuoteBegin-code_monkey+Sep 27 2005, 07:57 AM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(code_monkey @ Sep 27 2005, 07:57 AM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin--><!--QuoteBegin-Steelhead+Sep 26 2005, 04:42 PM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(Steelhead @ Sep 26 2005, 04:42 PM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin--><br />Just a glitch when updating my profile.  <br /> </td></tr></table><br /><br />Welcome back Mike. Good to have you up at the top, leading the team further. <br /> </td></tr></table><br />Hi Everyone:<br /><br />Okay, it looks like I have one marathon standing between me and 2,000,000 meters. I'll see if I can do it tomorrow. Then I can take a break and let Charles catch up with me, and then start our race to 3,000,000.<br /><br />I've noticed Charles adding more meters on a daily basis. That's great. I hear him splashing behind me, and hopefully shedding some pounds in the process.<br /><br />After signing up with WW and using the flex program last week, I lost 5 pounds the first week -- of course, I had to row like a lunatic to do it. I'll see what I loose this week, but it looks as if I may have finally dropped below 200 pounds (today on my scale naked I weighed 194, added two pounds when I got dressed), although I had to eat a dozen eggs today to satisfy my hunger (not exactly what WW recommends), so I'll see what happens when I weigh in Saturday after hitting 2,000,000 meters. I have to get back in the river doing some Steelhead fly-fishing on our great Northwest Rivers.<br /><br />Thanks to everyone for all the encouragement and motivation to row.<br /><br />Mike<br /><br /><br />

[old] Meri Goehring

Post by [old] Meri Goehring » September 30th, 2005, 10:25 am

(OOps. After writing this, I found a lot of excellent training tips on the Concept2 web site.)<br />Meri<br />Wow! I've never tried even a half-marathon. However, I logged my best time ever on 10000 meters today at 45:22:1, not bad for my age and weight. Any advise on where to best find training tips to prepare for a half-marathon? I never change my damper setting from 10. Am I working too hard? I am loosing weight, but ever so slowly! I am now also counting calories, and that has made all the difference! I envy your time for fishing. Keep up the good work.<br />Meri

[old] Steelhead

Post by [old] Steelhead » September 30th, 2005, 12:06 pm

<!--QuoteBegin-Meri Goehring+Sep 30 2005, 07:25 AM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(Meri Goehring @ Sep 30 2005, 07:25 AM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin-->(OOps. After writing this, I found a lot of excellent training tips on the Concept2 web site.)<br />Meri<br />Wow! I've never tried even a half-marathon. However, I logged my best time ever on 10000 meters today at 45:22:1, not bad for my age and weight. Any advise on where to best find training tips to prepare for a half-marathon? I never change my damper setting from 10. Am I working too hard? I am loosing weight, but ever so slowly! I am now also counting calories, and that has made all the difference! I envy your time for fishing. Keep up the good work.<br />Meri <br /> </td></tr></table><br />On my Model B, based on the drag factor, it can't go any lower than a 10 on a Model C or D, but it can go higher. Before my B broke down, I used to row about 3 hours a day on it. After it broke and before I could repair it, I started using a Model C at the Y and discovered that I could set it on a 5 or a 3, and following the advice about strapless rowing, and proper form, I could row and row and row, and kick my time up far higher than I ever could on the Model B. My B is repaired, but it is now hard to row longer than one hour on it.<br /><br />I think what you need to do is compare your splits on the 10 setting, and then drop the setting down to a 5 and using your legs for power beat your 10 setting splits; then use a 3 setting and do the same thing. For example, on my Model B, a 2:13/500 split is about all I can do, but on the C I can do a 1:55/500 split. I burn way more calories using a 3 or 5 setting than a 10 at between 18 and 22 strokes per whatever, and concomittantly I travel farther.<br /><br />The most meters I have rowed in one day (last Wednesday) was 72,000 broken up during the day, and I have rowed about three FM's since May 1st, and several HM. My typical day row is 35,000 meters plus -- BUT this will change once I hit the 2,000,000 meter mark for this fiscal year (May 1 to April 30). <br /><br />In my opinion, if you are rowing 10,000 meters daily on a 10 setting, if you go strapless, set the setting on 3, and stay within 18 to 22 strokes per whatever, you will be able to easily do a HM and actually enjoy doing it. A FM is a different story the first time you do one -- I thought I was going to pass out the first FM I did when I had about 5K left to do. As for nourishment, all you need to do is carbo-load the night before so you have plenty of glycogen, eat a nutritious breakfast, and then have a couple of 32 oz bottles of water (I like to add 8 oz of apple juice to each bottle). <br /><br />Of course, after all the meters I have rowed this week, the thought of a FM is really discouraging -- my body is telling me to rest. My mind keeps telling me: yeah, I get to rest once I reach my goal. I'm 59 and feeling it.<br /><br />Mike

[old] Meri Goehring

Post by [old] Meri Goehring » September 30th, 2005, 1:44 pm

Thanks for the advise, Mike. I think I'll stick with my 10000 meters per day goal for now, gradually work up to 15000 in the next few weeks and play with the damper as you suggest. I might try for a HM by Halloween. The 'strapless' thing seems a bit kinky , but I'll give this a try too! <br /><!--QuoteBegin-Steelhead+Sep 30 2005, 11:06 AM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(Steelhead @ Sep 30 2005, 11:06 AM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin--><!--QuoteBegin-Meri Goehring+Sep 30 2005, 07:25 AM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(Meri Goehring @ Sep 30 2005, 07:25 AM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin-->(OOps. After writing this, I found a lot of excellent training tips on the Concept2 web site.)<br />Meri<br />Wow! I've never tried even a half-marathon. However, I logged my best time ever on 10000 meters today at 45:22:1, not bad for my age and weight. Any advise on where to best find training tips to prepare for a half-marathon? I never change my damper setting from 10. Am I working too hard? I am loosing weight, but ever so slowly! I am now also counting calories, and that has made all the difference! I envy your time for fishing. Keep up the good work.<br />Meri <br /> </td></tr></table><br />On my Model B, based on the drag factor, it can't go any lower than a 10 on a Model C or D, but it can go higher. Before my B broke down, I used to row about 3 hours a day on it. After it broke and before I could repair it, I started using a Model C at the Y and discovered that I could set it on a 5 or a 3, and following the advice about strapless rowing, and proper form, I could row and row and row, and kick my time up far higher than I ever could on the Model B. My B is repaired, but it is now hard to row longer than one hour on it.<br /><br />I think what you need to do is compare your splits on the 10 setting, and then drop the setting down to a 5 and using your legs for power beat your 10 setting splits; then use a 3 setting and do the same thing. For example, on my Model B, a 2:13/500 split is about all I can do, but on the C I can do a 1:55/500 split. I burn way more calories using a 3 or 5 setting than a 10 at between 18 and 22 strokes per whatever, and concomittantly I travel farther.<br /><br />The most meters I have rowed in one day (last Wednesday) was 72,000 broken up during the day, and I have rowed about three FM's since May 1st, and several HM. My typical day row is 35,000 meters plus -- BUT this will change once I hit the 2,000,000 meter mark for this fiscal year (May 1 to April 30). <br /><br />In my opinion, if you are rowing 10,000 meters daily on a 10 setting, if you go strapless, set the setting on 3, and stay within 18 to 22 strokes per whatever, you will be able to easily do a HM and actually enjoy doing it. A FM is a different story the first time you do one -- I thought I was going to pass out the first FM I did when I had about 5K left to do. As for nourishment, all you need to do is carbo-load the night before so you have plenty of glycogen, eat a nutritious breakfast, and then have a couple of 32 oz bottles of water (I like to add 8 oz of apple juice to each bottle). <br /><br />Of course, after all the meters I have rowed this week, the thought of a FM is really discouraging -- my body is telling me to rest. My mind keeps telling me: yeah, I get to rest once I reach my goal. I'm 59 and feeling it.<br /><br />Mike <br /> </td></tr></table><br />

[old] Steelhead

Post by [old] Steelhead » September 30th, 2005, 3:03 pm

[quote=Meri Goehring,Sep 30 2005, 10:44 AM]<br />Thanks for the advise, Mike. I think I'll stick with my 10000 meters per day goal for now, gradually work up to 15000 in the next few weeks and play with the damper as you suggest. I might try for a HM by Halloween. The 'strapless' thing seems a bit kinky , but I'll give this a try too! <br /><br />Meri,<br /><br />I think that's the correct approach. Play with the damper and see if you can 'kick it up a notch' on your splits, while maintaining the 10K daily. Sometimes I row watching the splits; sometimes watching the calories per hour, but typically trying to increase my meters, etc. More times than not, I'll have a PB each week and sometimes more.<br /><br />Rowing strapless does seem kinky but not as kinky as riding in my Wrangler topless. <br /><br />As a matter of fact, I've rowed all my HM's and FM's strapless. Just really putting power into each stroke while not having a stroke.<br /><br />Last night, after putting in 36,800 meters, I thought my heart rate would never go down. I'm still alive today so that's good news. I'm so tired today, I think I'll have to break up my FM into segments, which means I won't count it as a FM, just the meters and the calories burned.<br /><br />Then, I'll join you with 10K rows daily so I can spend more time on the river with my Spey rod looking for Winter Steelhead -- catch and release. <br /><br />Mike<br /><br />