Team Row Pain, Row Gain

read only section for reference and search purposes.
[old] code_monkey

Weight Loss/ Weight Control

Post by [old] code_monkey » August 26th, 2005, 10:49 am

<!--QuoteBegin-mark12_30+Aug 26 2005, 03:27 AM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(mark12_30 @ Aug 26 2005, 03:27 AM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin-->Hi, <br /><br />I am working at weight loss.  I bought my model D in March.  I love to row but I also bike, so during good biking weather I don't row much.  Now I am laid up with plantar fascitis.... so.... while I did join the RPRG team, not wanting to be a load in the boat    I went back to "no affiliation."  I don't want to drag this gutsy group down.<br /><br />A couple of questions:<br /><br />1.  Anyone else battle with plantar fascitis and if so, what's your advice?<br /><br />2.  What's the minimum I need to be rowing to be an asset to this team instead of a liability?    Generally speaking is sporadic rowing (alternating with biking) a liability to team standings?  In other words should I be looking for another team that expects the participant to be also doing other sports?<br /><br />Thanks for the inspiration.  I hope I can figure out how to row some distance while still 'babying' my feet!<br /><br />Regards, --mark12_30 <br /> </td></tr></table><br /><br /><br /><br />Mark, my thoughts on this matter are that this team is good for the inspiration and motivation for weight loss if that is the ultimate goal. Several people have posted their successes and continued progress.<br />As for whether or not your meters contributed would be an asset, every meter counts. If you put in some time on the ERG one week but not the next, I don't see that as a problem. Your goal is to lose weight and I think cross training is good for that as it helps alleviate boredom. I currently ERG 20k-30k per week, but I go hiking on the weekends for a change of pace and to get outdoors with my new favorite outdoor activity, geocaching.<br /><br />So, I don't think you or anyone else should worry about meeting some weekly commitment to meters rowed just to keep the team happy. Row for yourself and look here for that motivation/inspiration if you need it. Your meters are welcome.<br /><br /><br />-jason<br />

[old] gaijin

Post by [old] gaijin » August 26th, 2005, 1:48 pm

<br /><br />6th Place!!!<br /><br />Wooo Hooo !!!<br /><br />

[old] jimjayhawk

Post by [old] jimjayhawk » August 26th, 2005, 3:54 pm

<!--QuoteBegin-mark12_30+Aug 26 2005, 06:27 AM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(mark12_30 @ Aug 26 2005, 06:27 AM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin-->Hi, <br /><br />I am working at weight loss.  I bought my model D in March.  I love to row but I also bike, so during good biking weather I don't row much.  Now I am laid up with plantar fascitis.... so.... while I did join the RPRG team, not wanting to be a load in the boat    I went back to "no affiliation."  I don't want to drag this gutsy group down.<br /><br />A couple of questions:<br /><br />1.  Anyone else battle with plantar fascitis and if so, what's your advice?<br /><br />2.  What's the minimum I need to be rowing to be an asset to this team instead of a liability?    Generally speaking is sporadic rowing (alternating with biking) a liability to team standings?  In other words should I be looking for another team that expects the participant to be also doing other sports?<br /><br />Thanks for the inspiration.  I hope I can figure out how to row some distance while still 'babying' my feet!<br /><br />Regards, --mark12_30 <br /> </td></tr></table><br /><br />Mark, <br /><br />Every meter you row is an asset... never a liability<br /><br />My understanding of my membership with RPRG is that it is an voluntary affiliation of fellowship and motivation... <br /><br />It has never been my intent or the intent of anyone (so far as I know) to inflict guilt or "minimum rowing standards" on anyone... everyone has their life to live... their personal health and fitness to consider... their individual circumstances and situations.... <br /><br />I am envious of those who put in the time and effort to row 20,000K or more a day... with my current lifestyle & fitness I couldn't maintain such an effort beyond a day or two... <br /><br />I am equally envious of those who have the time and life circumstance to engage in a number of activities - hiking, biking, fishing, etc... <br /><br />I greatly appreciate the camaradery of the list and the motivation gained by a couple of training partners... <br /><br />I want to offer my sincere apology if my email did anything other than encourage folks to row - if that "fits" their life at this time... I received such a message after I joined and wasn't doing much and thought others might benefit in a similar fashion. I certainly didn't intend to come across in any other way. <br /><br />Jim S.

[old] deppe4

Post by [old] deppe4 » August 26th, 2005, 3:57 pm

<!--QuoteBegin-mark12_30+Aug 26 2005, 06:27 AM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(mark12_30 @ Aug 26 2005, 06:27 AM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin-->Hi, <br /><br />I am working at weight loss.  I bought my model D in March.  I love to row but I also bike, so during good biking weather I don't row much.  Now I am laid up with plantar fascitis.... so.... while I did join the RPRG team, not wanting to be a load in the boat    I went back to "no affiliation."  I don't want to drag this gutsy group down.<br /><br />A couple of questions:<br /><br />1.  Anyone else battle with plantar fascitis and if so, what's your advice?<br /><br />2.  What's the minimum I need to be rowing to be an asset to this team instead of a liability?    Generally speaking is sporadic rowing (alternating with biking) a liability to team standings?  In other words should I be looking for another team that expects the participant to be also doing other sports?<br /><br />Thanks for the inspiration.  I hope I can figure out how to row some distance while still 'babying' my feet!<br /><br />Regards, --mark12_30 <br /> </td></tr></table><br /><br />Hi Mark,<br /><br />I have plantar fascitis in my right foot. How I deal with it is to wear very cushioned shoes for work and "high end" tennies for working out. I also do the pick up marbles with your toes and put the marbles in a bucket exercise when I'm being really good.<br /><br />I haven't noticed the plantar fascitis interferring with my rowing so I'm of no help there. But maybe the marble exercise will help.<br /><br />~deppe4

[old] rowmantic

Post by [old] rowmantic » August 26th, 2005, 3:59 pm

Ditto on the Woo Hoo for 6th Place. <br /><br />To Mark with the heel spur, have you tried varying the angle and height of your foot stretchers? Would a gel pack in your shoes help? <br /><br />I have promised myself that I would no longer erg while watching Paula Dean on the cooking channel. I knew I had a serious problem when she was making bread pudding from Krispy Kreme doughnuts. It sounded delicious and I don't even like bread pudding. <br /><br />~Grace

[old] rowmantic

Post by [old] rowmantic » August 26th, 2005, 4:01 pm

<span style='font-size:21pt;line-height:100%'> </span><br />I think 3 of us were typing responses to Mark at the same time.<br />~Grace

[old] blandings

Post by [old] blandings » August 26th, 2005, 8:00 pm

<!--QuoteBegin-jimjayhawk+Aug 20 2005, 11:22 AM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(jimjayhawk @ Aug 20 2005, 11:22 AM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin-->Did anyone else notice how close we are to catching up the the next team in the standings? Less than 50K away!!!!!  <br /><br />I'll probably regret doing it, but I sent a little encouraging email to anyone under 100K... maybe a few will make the time to row a bit... but if those of us who are active don't let up by force of numbers (we out number them by nearly 20) we ought to pass them by and then be back to the uphill battle of catching the next team in the standings. <br /><br />Happy Rowing!<br /><br />Jim <br /> </td></tr></table><br /><br /><br />Thanks for the boost Jim<br /><br />I had a great week - over 35000 meters , way beyond my usual 15 to 20. Amazing what a few extra minutes a day will do. I discovered that I can row for longer than I thought and still feel fine after. I'm just storing up meters for September when I get back in front of a class and won't have those extra minutes . So please feel free to send me more encouraging email next time the team needs it. <br /><br />Alice

[old] mark12_30

Post by [old] mark12_30 » August 26th, 2005, 9:37 pm

All-- many thanks for the encouragement. <br /><br />Jim S, no worries. If the ranking is by yards and not averages-- fine by me! Then count me in. (And yes, I did 'rejoin'.) <br /><br />Grace: I am using gel freezer packs for icing treatments but it sounds like you mean the heel cushion type of gel-pack... I shall keep that in mind. I may also try rowing 'strapless' and see if maybe that helps.<br /><br />There are some interesting articles on the net, one suggesting numerous exercises for the arches and the hamstrings-- I hope it's as helpful as it looks... similar articles <a href='http://www.plantar-fasciitis-treatments ... rcises.php' target='_blank'>exercises</a> or <a href='http://www.thestretchinghandbook.com/ar ... ciitis.htm' target='_blank'>theStretchingHandbook</a><br /><br />deppe4: Picking up marbles with toes-- that sounds like fun! I shall try it. <br /><br />Thanks again for the support, --mark12_30

[old] RockinRobin

Post by [old] RockinRobin » August 27th, 2005, 10:11 am

<span style='color:blue'><span style='font-size:21pt;line-height:100%'>Wahoo! Jenny hit 200K Today!!</span>!</span><br /><br />It's always an inspiration to see "meter-marker" achievements from our team members! Everybody keep up the good work!!!<br /><br />Just remember you don't have to be the fastest or do the most meters to make progress: "Behold the turtle. He makes progress only when he sticks his neck out." -- James Bryant Conant<br />

[old] RockinRobin

Post by [old] RockinRobin » August 27th, 2005, 7:24 pm

<span style='font-size:21pt;line-height:100%'><span style='color:blue'>Congratulations to Kevin - 1 million and 1 meters for the current season!!!</span></span><br /><br />WTG Kevin - now I know why it's so HOT in arkansas, cause you keep that ERG smokin'....

[old] Steelhead

Post by [old] Steelhead » August 29th, 2005, 8:28 pm

Finally! Today I weighed in at 200, which means since May 1st, I've lost 13 pounds. Hopefully, by next week, I'll be under 200. Yippee.<br /><br />Mike

[old] RockinRobin

Post by [old] RockinRobin » August 29th, 2005, 9:43 pm

<!--QuoteBegin-Steelhead+Aug 29 2005, 07:28 PM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(Steelhead @ Aug 29 2005, 07:28 PM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin-->Finally! Today I weighed in at 200, which means since May 1st, I've lost 13 pounds. Hopefully, by next week, I'll be under 200. Yippee.<br /><br />Mike <br /> </td></tr></table><br /><br /><span style='color:blue'><span style='font-size:21pt;line-height:100%'>That's Terrific, Mike!</span></span><br /><br />Nothing like positive reinforcement from 'Ye ole scales...<br /><br />I've lost 7 since June...kinda stationary at the moment, but not gaining is a good thing!<br /><br />Robin

[old] Steelhead

Post by [old] Steelhead » August 29th, 2005, 9:44 pm

<!--QuoteBegin-RockinRobin+Aug 29 2005, 06:43 PM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(RockinRobin @ Aug 29 2005, 06:43 PM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin--><!--QuoteBegin-Steelhead+Aug 29 2005, 07:28 PM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(Steelhead @ Aug 29 2005, 07:28 PM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin-->Finally! Today I weighed in at 200, which means since May 1st, I've lost 13 pounds. Hopefully, by next week, I'll be under 200. Yippee.<br /><br />Mike <br /> </td></tr></table><br /><br /><span style='color:blue'><span style='font-size:21pt;line-height:100%'>That's Terrific, Mike!</span></span><br /><br />Nothing like positive reinforcement from 'Ye ole scales...<br /><br />I've lost 7 since June...kinda stationary at the moment, but not gaining is a good thing!<br /><br />Robin <br /> </td></tr></table><br />Not gaining is a good thing.

[old] artmom5

Post by [old] artmom5 » August 30th, 2005, 1:57 pm

<br />Again I go away for a weekend, RPRG goes up to number 6!!!!!<br />If I stay away for another week you guys should be in FIRST PLACE by then!!<br />Robin congrats on the 1/2 marathon, I noticed on the log, GREAT TIME! (SO THAT'S HOW YOU GOT SO FAR AHEAD OF ME ). <br />Mary <br />Back to the erg...As I was sitting all weekend on my butt, however it was on the sidelines for a soccer tourney.

[old] Zot

Post by [old] Zot » August 30th, 2005, 1:58 pm

Hi,<br /><br />I'm new to the crew, but glad to be part of a team! I've just started rowing about 3 weeks ago (8/6/05), and have already logged over 270K meters - completed my first marathon last saturday.<br /><br />I started my weight loss journey on 11/18/2005 at 312 lbs. I'm now down to 255 (I hit 252 a week ago, not sure why I gained weight!). I have fallen in love with rowing. My wife, 2 sons and my daughter are all rowing too! If I can't do at least a 10K a day, I feel like I'm missing something. My pace isn't all that great yet, but I guess that will come over time.<br /><br />My HR regularly hits high 140s to low 160's during a sustained row - I don't like going slower - but at the age of 49 the target zone for weight loss feels like I am crawling! Since I LIKE to push, going slow doesn't motivate me - but I am after weight loss and need to lose at least another 40-50 pounds. Should I change my workout, or just "damn the heartrate, full speed ahead!" (My apologies to Admiral David Farragut)<br /><br />Thanks,<br /><br />Zot