Music for 2K Test?

General discussion on Training. How to get better on your erg, how to use your erg to get better at another sport, or anything else about improving your abilities.
Jamie Pfeffer
2k Poster

Post by Jamie Pfeffer » August 27th, 2008, 10:30 am

Good post, Thomas. Thanks for giving me a smile to start the day.
37-years old; 6'2"; 165lbs.
Georgetown, BSFS, 1996
Harvard Law, JD, 2000

SketchyAtBest
Paddler

Post by SketchyAtBest » August 28th, 2008, 12:58 am

Mudvayne - Happy
Atreyu - Becoming the Bull
Korn - Twisted Transistor
NIN - Closer & The Hand that Feeds
Papa Roach - Forever
Rage Against the Machine - Killing in the Name of
The Exies - Ugly
Theory of a Dead Man - Nothing can Come Between Us
Three Days Grace - Wake up & Animal I have Become

In addition to several others previously listed.

kdahlhaus
500m Poster

Post by kdahlhaus » August 29th, 2008, 8:37 am

I'll never forget my first erg test in college. Walking into the fitness center so early that most of the lights were off and there was no one else around. You didn't need directions to the testing room, you just had to follow the click-whirrrrrrrr, click-whirrrrrr echoing throughout the hallways. Those model B's made a lot of noise compared to C's and D's.

The first round of tests were getting ready to start when I got to the room. As they started, the coxswain clicked a boom box, and "Welcome to the Jungle" by Guns and Roses began to play. It's perfect song for an erg test, although at the time it just added to the whole scary scene.

The rest of the music has changed a bit over the years, but most of my 2K's start with "Welcome to the Jungle".
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
http://powertwenty.com
'Do' or 'Do not', there is no 'Try' -Yoda

Jamie Pfeffer
2k Poster

Post by Jamie Pfeffer » August 30th, 2008, 12:46 pm

kdahlhaus wrote:I'll never forget my first erg test in college. Walking into the fitness center so early that most of the lights were off and there was no one else around. You didn't need directions to the testing room, you just had to follow the click-whirrrrrrrr, click-whirrrrrr echoing throughout the hallways. Those model B's made a lot of noise compared to C's and D's.

The first round of tests were getting ready to start when I got to the room. As they started, the coxswain clicked a boom box, and "Welcome to the Jungle" by Guns and Roses began to play. It's perfect song for an erg test, although at the time it just added to the whole scary scene.

The rest of the music has changed a bit over the years, but most of my 2K's start with "Welcome to the Jungle".
Thanks for the story. That was great. Sometimes I hear the songs that played during my college erg tests. They still give me a frisson.
37-years old; 6'2"; 165lbs.
Georgetown, BSFS, 1996
Harvard Law, JD, 2000

Yankeerunner
10k Poster

Post by Yankeerunner » August 30th, 2008, 1:50 pm

I'm a little late getting back to this :oops: , but thanks philrow for the insight. I appreciate it.

As for my own favorites, I have to find things that last about 7 minutes without mixing my own or changing disks and my best choices so far have been:

Meatloaf, Bat out of Hell (First track of the first album...still great)

William Tell Overture....put it on and do the futzing about with drag factor etc during the early few minutes, then be ready to pull the first stroke of the 2km on the first thunderbolt of 'the storm' section. If you can do just over or under 7:00 you should finish by the end.

I wish ZZ Top would put out a 7 to 8 minute version of La Grange. I'd like to do a 2km with that cranked up to maximum volume. Likewise Robert Palmer's Doctor Doctor (Bad Case of Loving You). B)