Team Row Pain, Row Gain

read only section for reference and search purposes.
[old] code_monkey

Weight Loss/ Weight Control

Post by [old] code_monkey » July 19th, 2005, 10:58 am

<!--QuoteBegin-jimjayhawk+Jul 18 2005, 06:03 PM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(jimjayhawk @ Jul 18 2005, 06:03 PM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin-->This is the start of my 3rd week back after nearly a month away... <br /><br />Kudo's to those erging maniacs at the front of the list... I have no hope of catching you or even keeping the margin in check... but all this "marathon" discussion made me consider the possibilities. I've rowed 15k a time or two, but usually was quite satisfied with my 5 & 10k workouts... <br /><br />Saturday I did my 1st 1/2 marathon... (I never would have made it without the bubble-wrap on my seat and handle).... Came back yesterday and did another 12k+<br /><br />Then tonight a light 5k and I crossed over the 3 million meter mark (which I planned on doing by the end of May...  if not for my cursed lower back).  Now I'm hoping to cross over 4 million by the end of this season... While the Tour de France is carrying me through July, NCAA basketball really gets me through the winter. <br /><br /> I'll probably try the marathon sometime in August before school starts back up... I'm hoping the YMCA across the street from my work might let me use their model D... I doubt if I will ever get rid of my model B, but the difference in the D and the monitor ought to add enough attraction to keep my interest for the 3-4 hours it will likely take me to do a marathon<br /><br />Those of you in the neighborhood of 220,000 meters - I need you to keep me honest and working, so please KEEP ROWING!!!! <br /><br />Those of you in the early 300's can take a week or two off, otherwise I might not ever catch you...  <br /><br />Jim<br /><br />P.S. I just found a picture from my erging prime... probably 1988 or 89... if only I'd have kept it up... there is no telling how many million meters I'd have rowed by now... and I'm sure that weight loss wouldn't be so much on the forefront of my mind. I hope to get it digitized this week and on the website... It seems to me that pictures might aid in getting to know one another - and make it easier to know who wants and/or needs a swift kick in the seat to get back to rowing (without becoming a rowing nazi - of course!) <br /> </td></tr></table><br /><br /><br /><br />Well, Jim, I am in that neighborhood (220,000 meters or so) but I've been having troubles with the motivation lately. In addition, I've been doing more hiking on the weekends and did some kayaking this past weekend. I'll be out camping/kayaking again the first weekend of August as well.<br />I find that after hiking up a mountain I don't feel like rowing for a couple days so my quads can recuperate. Maybe I'm doing something wrong because it seems that the muscles in my legs are not recovering as quickly as they should. It's probably that I'm no longer in my 20's...<br />Anyway, I'll do what I can, but within a few weeks you'll be in a group well past me. (But, I'm with you - those in the 300K meter range can take some time off to let us get a little closer...<grin>)

[old] artmom5

Post by [old] artmom5 » July 19th, 2005, 5:32 pm

<!--QuoteBegin-jal183+Jul 18 2005, 04:04 PM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(jal183 @ Jul 18 2005, 04:04 PM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin-->I'm a little curious.  Obviously, the he-men and she-women at the top of the board continue to work away like busy beavers.<br /><br />However, I've noticed that some of us at the bottom of the board (please note, I currently reside at the bottom of the board  ) aren't really churning out the meters.  As a matter of fact, it looks like some people may be in danger of falling out of the boat - so to speak.  <br /><br />I know that we're in the midst of vacation season and that many of you are cross-trainers... but, I was wondering if there might be a friendly way that we could poke each other in the ribs when we haven't added any meters in a while.  I'm not trying to make this into a major effort or get all big brother.  But, let's be honest, this is a weight loss forum and we all know the trials and tribulations of weight loss.  Would some poeple be helped if they got a little friendly (i.e., guilt inducing) email reminding them to add their meters to the board if they haven't added in a week?<br /><br />Just wondering what others thought...<br />John </td></tr></table><br /><br /> John<br />There is a nice way...you can have training partners where you see each others logs and you can compete somewhat against each other, I have a couple of training partners, it keeps me motivated if I want to try to keep up . So far it has worked for me. If you want to try that just e-mail someone on our team from the university site and ask. You need to both put down each other's profile number it has to be mutual.- If you want to add me just let me know, I row every other day at best- between 7-12K depending on how much time I have. Otherwise look on the university site to see who rows each day/ etc. and how much their totals go up daily /etc. to find someone who is close to your workout. Good Luck!<br />Mary<br /><br />

[old] artmom5

Post by [old] artmom5 » July 19th, 2005, 5:39 pm

<!--QuoteBegin-fornelli+Jul 19 2005, 10:58 AM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(fornelli @ Jul 19 2005, 10:58 AM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin--><!--QuoteBegin-jimjayhawk+Jul 18 2005, 06:03 PM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(jimjayhawk @ Jul 18 2005, 06:03 PM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin-->This is the start of my 3rd week back after nearly a month away... <br /><br />Kudo's to those erging maniacs at the front of the list... I have no hope of catching you or even keeping the margin in check... but all this "marathon" discussion made me consider the possibilities. I've rowed 15k a time or two, but usually was quite satisfied with my 5 & 10k workouts... <br /><br />Saturday I did my 1st 1/2 marathon... (I never would have made it without the bubble-wrap on my seat and handle).... Came back yesterday and did another 12k+<br /><br />Then tonight a light 5k and I crossed over the 3 million meter mark (which I planned on doing by the end of May...  if not for my cursed lower back).  Now I'm hoping to cross over 4 million by the end of this season... While the Tour de France is carrying me through July, NCAA basketball really gets me through the winter. <br /><br /> I'll probably try the marathon sometime in August before school starts back up... I'm hoping the YMCA across the street from my work might let me use their model D... I doubt if I will ever get rid of my model B, but the difference in the D and the monitor ought to add enough attraction to keep my interest for the 3-4 hours it will likely take me to do a marathon<br /><br />Those of you in the neighborhood of 220,000 meters - I need you to keep me honest and working, so please KEEP ROWING!!!! <br /><br />Those of you in the early 300's can take a week or two off, otherwise I might not ever catch you...  <br /><br />Jim<br /><br />P.S. I just found a picture from my erging prime... probably 1988 or 89... if only I'd have kept it up... there is no telling how many million meters I'd have rowed by now... and I'm sure that weight loss wouldn't be so much on the forefront of my mind. I hope to get it digitized this week and on the website... It seems to me that pictures might aid in getting to know one another - and make it easier to know who wants and/or needs a swift kick in the seat to get back to rowing (without becoming a rowing nazi - of course!) <br /> </td></tr></table><br /><br /><br /><br />Well, Jim, I am in that neighborhood (220,000 meters or so) but I've been having troubles with the motivation lately. In addition, I've been doing more hiking on the weekends and did some kayaking this past weekend. I'll be out camping/kayaking again the first weekend of August as well.<br />I find that after hiking up a mountain I don't feel like rowing for a couple days so my quads can recuperate. Maybe I'm doing something wrong because it seems that the muscles in my legs are not recovering as quickly as they should. It's probably that I'm no longer in my 20's...<br />Anyway, I'll do what I can, but within a few weeks you'll be in a group well past me. (But, I'm with you - those in the 300K meter range can take some time off to let us get a little closer...<grin>) <br /> </td></tr></table><br />Jim, Leave the ironrowers alone, we need their meters! <br />Don't apologize for cross training it does a body good. Wait until your well into your 40's-50's it took me days to recover from the 1/2 marathon I wasn't sore just tired, tired, tired. <br />Mary<br />ps. do you stretch out your quads gently after your walks?

[old] jimjayhawk

Post by [old] jimjayhawk » July 20th, 2005, 2:53 pm

<!--QuoteBegin-fornelli+Jul 19 2005, 09:58 AM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(fornelli @ Jul 19 2005, 09:58 AM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin--><br />Well, Jim, I am in that neighborhood (220,000 meters or so) but I've been having troubles with the motivation lately. In addition, I've been doing more hiking on the weekends and did some kayaking this past weekend. I'll be out camping/kayaking again the first weekend of August as well.<br />I find that after hiking up a mountain I don't feel like rowing for a couple days so my quads can recuperate. Maybe I'm doing something wrong because it seems that the muscles in my legs are not recovering as quickly as they should. It's probably that I'm no longer in my 20's...<br />Anyway, I'll do what I can, but within a few weeks you'll be in a group well past me. (But, I'm with you - those in the 300K meter range can take some time off to let us get a little closer...<grin>) <br /> </td></tr></table><br /><br /><br />I'm so envious of those who can cross-train and do other things... @45, working FT with wife and 2 kids - my C2 is my ONLY refuge throughout the week... and then on the weekend keeping the house, garden, and lawn in shape keep me pretty close to home... although the closest mountains are probably a good 16-18 hour drive away<br /><br />Jim

[old] code_monkey

Post by [old] code_monkey » July 20th, 2005, 4:57 pm

<!--QuoteBegin-artmom5+Jul 19 2005, 01:39 PM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(artmom5 @ Jul 19 2005, 01:39 PM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin--><!--QuoteBegin-fornelli+Jul 19 2005, 10:58 AM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(fornelli @ Jul 19 2005, 10:58 AM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin--><!--QuoteBegin-jimjayhawk+Jul 18 2005, 06:03 PM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(jimjayhawk @ Jul 18 2005, 06:03 PM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin-->This is the start of my 3rd week back after nearly a month away... <br /><br />Kudo's to those erging maniacs at the front of the list... I have no hope of catching you or even keeping the margin in check... but all this "marathon" discussion made me consider the possibilities. I've rowed 15k a time or two, but usually was quite satisfied with my 5 & 10k workouts... <br /><br />Saturday I did my 1st 1/2 marathon... (I never would have made it without the bubble-wrap on my seat and handle).... Came back yesterday and did another 12k+<br /><br />Then tonight a light 5k and I crossed over the 3 million meter mark (which I planned on doing by the end of May...  if not for my cursed lower back).  Now I'm hoping to cross over 4 million by the end of this season... While the Tour de France is carrying me through July, NCAA basketball really gets me through the winter. <br /><br /> I'll probably try the marathon sometime in August before school starts back up... I'm hoping the YMCA across the street from my work might let me use their model D... I doubt if I will ever get rid of my model B, but the difference in the D and the monitor ought to add enough attraction to keep my interest for the 3-4 hours it will likely take me to do a marathon<br /><br />Those of you in the neighborhood of 220,000 meters - I need you to keep me honest and working, so please KEEP ROWING!!!! <br /><br />Those of you in the early 300's can take a week or two off, otherwise I might not ever catch you...  <br /><br />Jim<br /><br />P.S. I just found a picture from my erging prime... probably 1988 or 89... if only I'd have kept it up... there is no telling how many million meters I'd have rowed by now... and I'm sure that weight loss wouldn't be so much on the forefront of my mind. I hope to get it digitized this week and on the website... It seems to me that pictures might aid in getting to know one another - and make it easier to know who wants and/or needs a swift kick in the seat to get back to rowing (without becoming a rowing nazi - of course!) <br /> </td></tr></table><br /><br /><br /><br />Well, Jim, I am in that neighborhood (220,000 meters or so) but I've been having troubles with the motivation lately. In addition, I've been doing more hiking on the weekends and did some kayaking this past weekend. I'll be out camping/kayaking again the first weekend of August as well.<br />I find that after hiking up a mountain I don't feel like rowing for a couple days so my quads can recuperate. Maybe I'm doing something wrong because it seems that the muscles in my legs are not recovering as quickly as they should. It's probably that I'm no longer in my 20's...<br />Anyway, I'll do what I can, but within a few weeks you'll be in a group well past me. (But, I'm with you - those in the 300K meter range can take some time off to let us get a little closer...<grin>) <br /> </td></tr></table><br />Jim, Leave the ironrowers alone, we need their meters! <br />Don't apologize for cross training it does a body good. Wait until your well into your 40's-50's it took me days to recover from the 1/2 marathon I wasn't sore just tired, tired, tired. <br />Mary<br />ps. do you stretch out your quads gently after your walks? <br /> </td></tr></table><br /><br /><br /><br />Er, uh, no.... I don't remember to stretch as much as I probably should I will give that a try and see if it helps at all.<br />My girlfriend and I just went hiking last night on some trails near my home. There was one particularly grueling hill (pretty steep, and longer than expected). I'm feeling my legs today, but again, I didn't stretch out after.<br />Thanks for the suggestion.

[old] jimjayhawk

Post by [old] jimjayhawk » July 20th, 2005, 9:56 pm

I'm interested in finding a training partner... <br /><br />I like to row every day - 7500 - 10k, and have had a couple of 80,000 m weeks, but realistically over the long haul will average 35,000m a week or so (or maybe you can help me ratchet up my effort?) <br /><br />my number 19944, send me yours via this forum or via email me... I'm on the RPRG page, currently in the 13th spot, but gunning for #12 and beyond. <br /><br /><br />Jim

[old] SeaRay

Post by [old] SeaRay » July 21st, 2005, 2:07 pm

John,<br /><br />you just did give me (and maybe others) a gentle nudge. I fell off the boat for a week, and saw your post and thought to myself..."He's right, I have to get on the erg tonight... thanks. I rowed just 40,000 meters and my clothes are all loose! I just have to stay focused. more meters, more meters...<br /><br />Ray

[old] jal183

Post by [old] jal183 » July 21st, 2005, 2:23 pm

<!--QuoteBegin-SeaRay+Jul 21 2005, 01:07 PM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(SeaRay @ Jul 21 2005, 01:07 PM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin-->John,<br /><br />you just did give me (and maybe others) a gentle nudge.  I fell off the boat for a week, and saw your post and thought to myself..."He's right, I have to get on the erg tonight... thanks.  I rowed just 40,000 meters and my clothes are all loose!  I just have to stay focused.  more meters, more meters...<br /><br />Ray <br /> </td></tr></table><br /><br />Guhreat. I thought I had shaken the meter-nazi label and then Ray brings up that post again. Ray... Ray... Ray. Truth be told, I was kind of glad YOU took a week off. You were a bit too close in the meter standing for my liking . And while I'm on the topic, Rod, dude, you're killing me. You've had the erg half as long as I have and you're already flip-flopping with me. Don't you have a vacation coming up?! I can't keep up with your output. <br /><br />Thanks again for all the friendly "competition!" Keeps me honest.<br /><br />-John

[old] rod7896

Post by [old] rod7896 » July 21st, 2005, 4:10 pm

<!--QuoteBegin-jal183+Jul 21 2005, 01:23 PM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(jal183 @ Jul 21 2005, 01:23 PM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin-->And while I'm on the topic, Rod, dude, you're killing me.  You've had the erg half as long as I have and you're already flip-flopping with me.  Don't you have a vacation coming up?!  I can't keep up with your output.  <br /><br />Thanks again for all the friendly "competition!"  Keeps me honest.<br /><br />-John <br /> </td></tr></table><br /><br />Sorry, I went on vacation last month already. You aren't going to like me much, as I am getting ready to do either a half-marathon or 15k today and a HM tomorrow depending on how my back feels. I am obsessed, what can I say? This is much more fun than running. My fiancee gave up trying to keep up with me already. I'd love the competition though (I was surprised someone had passed me last night, I almost rowed a 2k before bed to pass you again), so go row!<br /><br />Best wishes<br /><br />Rod<br />

[old] jal183

Post by [old] jal183 » July 21st, 2005, 4:27 pm

<!--QuoteBegin-rod7896+Jul 21 2005, 03:10 PM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(rod7896 @ Jul 21 2005, 03:10 PM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin-->Sorry, I went on vacation last month already.    You aren't going to like me much, as I am getting ready to do either a half-marathon or 15k today and a HM tomorrow depending on how my back feels.  I am obsessed, what can I say?  This is much more fun than running.  My fiancee gave up trying to keep up with me already.  I'd love the competition though (I was surprised someone had passed me last night, I almost rowed a 2k before bed to pass you again), so go row!<br /><br />Best wishes<br /><br />Rod <br /> </td></tr></table><br /><br />Well, that was a good news/bad news post. <br /><br />On the one hand, I will not be "competing" with you much longer. "HM, 15k" BWAHAHAHA... I will humbly move to the side so I won't get swamped by your wake. I had been thinking I could hold on with a big *7k* day today. Off day tomorrow. <br /><br />On the other hand, WELCOME ABOARD! Glad to have you on <b>OUR</b> team. Best of luck, but stay healthy. Best way to kill the obsession has to be injury.

[old] SpaCityBulldog

Post by [old] SpaCityBulldog » July 21st, 2005, 6:56 pm

I ought to know better. I'm a long way from being young and strong but I do have a competitive nature and it got the best of me this last month.<br /><br />I had been cruising along rowing about 50-55K meters until joining this team. The weight was coming off and I was enjoying it.<br /><br />When we went "live" I saw that I was near the top and off I rowed even more. I put in weeks of 53K, 71K, 75K, 86K, 81K, 100K, 106K and moved into 2nd place. I then started this week with a 30K row in anticipation of rowing a full marathon sometime in the next month.<br /><br />The 30K went well though I didn't really feel all that great for the rest of the day. Monday, instead of resting a day, I saw that I needed less that 10K to pass 800K for the season so I decided to row an "easy" 10K. Around the 5K mark my back didn't feel so good. <br /><br />So now I'm nursing a very sore lower back and don't anticipate getting back on the C2 until I return from vacation August 2nd.<br /><br />And then I'm going to put those competitive urges away and go back to rowing the distances I enjoy and get the remaining 25 lbs. off. <br /><br /><br />

[old] jal183

Post by [old] jal183 » July 21st, 2005, 7:45 pm

<!--QuoteBegin-SpaCityBulldog+Jul 21 2005, 05:56 PM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(SpaCityBulldog @ Jul 21 2005, 05:56 PM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin--><br />So now I'm nursing a very sore lower back and don't anticipate getting back on the C2 until I return from vacation August 2nd.<br /> <br /> </td></tr></table><br /><br />I'm sorry to hear about your injury. That SUCKS. I hope your vacation is relaxing and you can bounce back to feeling 100%!

[old] SpaCityBulldog

Post by [old] SpaCityBulldog » July 22nd, 2005, 11:03 pm

Welcome to Terry Kinney and his 500K+ meters to the team. Good rowing to you Terry.<br /><br />

[old] jal183

Post by [old] jal183 » July 23rd, 2005, 12:44 pm

<!--QuoteBegin-rod7896+Jul 21 2005, 03:10 PM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(rod7896 @ Jul 21 2005, 03:10 PM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin-->Sorry, I went on vacation last month already.    You aren't going to like me much, as I am getting ready to do either a half-marathon or 15k today and a HM tomorrow depending on how my back feels.  I am obsessed, what can I say?  This is much more fun than running.  My fiancee gave up trying to keep up with me already.  I'd love the competition though (I was surprised someone had passed me last night, I almost rowed a 2k before bed to pass you again), so go row!<br /> <br /> </td></tr></table><br /><br />Rod:<br /><br />I hope you'll give me a few minutes to hold the lead. I have to admit, I tacked on 1094 extra meters today so I could be in front of you (1 meter) <i><b>for a few minutes</b></i>. With your HM coming any day now, I won't be able to "pace" with you much longer! <br />

[old] rod7896

Post by [old] rod7896 » July 23rd, 2005, 2:25 pm

<!--QuoteBegin-jal183+Jul 23 2005, 11:44 AM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(jal183 @ Jul 23 2005, 11:44 AM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin-->Rod:<br /><br />I hope you'll give me a few minutes to hold the lead.  I have to admit, I tacked on 1094 extra meters today so I could be in front of you (1 meter) <i><b>for a few minutes</b></i>.  With your HM coming any day now, I won't be able to "pace" with you much longer!  <br /> </td></tr></table><br /><br />Ahh, I knew I shouldn't have taken a day off! Wish me luck, I'm off to try my first HM.