Injured Runner, looking for advice

General discussion on Training. How to get better on your erg, how to use your erg to get better at another sport, or anything else about improving your abilities.
ROWlonda
Paddler

Re: Injured Runner, looking for advice

Post by ROWlonda » February 3rd, 2023, 12:14 pm

Sorry, I'm a bit late to the convo. Primary runner here, and currently (knock-on-wood), not injured, but spent many months hobbling to/from physical therapy in previous years.

For the interface between the phone/app and the ERG, I can't recommend the C2 cable highly enough. It's available directly through Concept2 and I think costs all of $5.

I'm assuming you're already well into finding your technique, and if you haven't tried it, leave the foot straps off. I rowed "feet in" for probably 10+ years before taking the advice of some fellow friendly internet ERGers, and now it's standard ops for everything from 5k tempo to marathon. It'll feel awkward at first, but you'll quickly adjust. I've read some folks will put a wooden block on the rail to act as a roller stop for the seat to help keep you from over-compressing on the recovery, but maybe just try some physical queues first, like keeping your knees from bending past your ankles, chin up, shoulders back, etc. Surely my form is far from perfect, but just like running, you have to discover your own mechanics and then optimize with practice. Also, play with the damper/drag factor to see what feels right, and then occasionally jump out of the comfort zone.

Depending on if you bought your Model D new or used, it might already have the built in device holder on the PM5 support arm. Mine was an older model, but bought the accessory (again, directly from C2's website), and it's been an absolute life saver for the long sessions.

As far as integration with a running routine, like others said, mostly easy effort on the ERG, with some occasional hard stuff (read: intervals). I split my weekly routine 40ish miles running and 30Kish rowing, primarily because the legs don't like much more pavement pounding than that. The quads are noticeably stronger through long runs, which I attribute to rowing; calves are the weak point, but that's a strength training issue for me to address separately. Proper rowing form will also help immensely with core strength, which only has benefits in running.

Good luck and hope for a speedy recovery!
Run|Row|Repeat

Tsnor
10k Poster

Post by Tsnor » February 3rd, 2023, 4:39 pm

ROWlonda wrote:
February 3rd, 2023, 12:14 pm

For the interface between the phone/app and the ERG, I can't recommend the C2 cable highly enough. It's available directly through Concept2 and I think costs all of $5.
Do you use the cable and the new ergdata app ? Some have reported that cable is no longer supported. (I am still on the old app using a cable, agree it works great).

Sakly
Half Marathon Poster

Post by Sakly » February 3rd, 2023, 4:55 pm

Tsnor wrote:
February 3rd, 2023, 4:39 pm
ROWlonda wrote:
February 3rd, 2023, 12:14 pm

Do you use the cable and the new ergdata app ? Some have reported that cable is no longer supported. (I am still on the old app using a cable, agree it works great).
After release I tried, was not working. Since then not tried again, but haven't read something about it in release notes.
Male - '80 - 82kg - 177cm - Start rowErg Jan 2022
1': 358m
4': 1217m
30'r20: 8068m
30': 8,283m
60': 16,222m
100m: 0:16.1
500m: 1:27.1
1k: 3:07.8
2k: 6:37.1
5k: 17:39.6
6k: 21:03.5
10k: 36:01.5
HM: 1:18:40.1
FM: 2:52:32.6
My log

Christirei
Paddler

Post by Christirei » February 24th, 2023, 1:23 pm

Hey all, i'm back! After another month of rowing (3x per week, two steady rowing sessions and one interval session each week)

here are some more stats:

2/3 35:00min 6903m ave pace 2:32 ave stroke rate 24 ave power 99w
2/6 35:00min 7156m ave pace 2:26 ave stroke rate 24 ave power 111w
2/10 35:00min 7085m ave pace 2:28 ave stroke rate 21 ave power 108w
2/15 35:00min 7184m ave pace 2:26 ave stroke rate 23 ave power 112w
2/20 37:30min 7666m ave pace 2:26 ave stroke rate 21 ave power 111w
2/24 37:30min 7681m ave pace 2:26 ave stroke rate 20 ave power 111w

i can tell my improvements are slowing down, gains are harder to see now, but i would also say the rowing is starting to feel easier. still tough, but i can feel myself finding a nice steady rate where i feel comfortable.

as always, a couple of questions:

1. my butt gets numb. currently i have a blanket folded up on the seat, what else should i try? a friend suggested padded cycling shorts
2. how do you get water during longer workouts, when i would run i always carried a water bottle, but getting a drink now requires stopping...how do you guys handle that?
3. callouses on my fingers, is that normal? i do feel like i have a loose hold on the bar, but definitely getting callouses, no blisters though
4. i've been rowing for two months, when should i try my first 2K time trial? the thought of it seems overwhelming and i haven't tried it yet

starting next week i won't be able to swim for a couple of months, so i am thinking i will be adding two more rowing days per week, so five times a week total. not sure how that should look. five sessions should i do two steady sessions like the above? two intervals sessions and try one longer session?? only one interval session? just not sure best strategy for overall improvement. also, still currently just using the workout of the day on the interval days and just doing whatever C2 says :)

MPx
10k Poster

Post by MPx » February 24th, 2023, 2:56 pm

Glad to see that you're sticking with it. I'm sure there's plenty more improvements to come...just stay patient and enjoy the process. On your Qs...IMO

1: I use a Concept2 seat pad (and x2 for a 60 mins or HM). Never go longer than that. Bum still aches on the longest stuff, but typically fine up to 10k.
2: As I say, the longest I ever go is an HM and you really don't need any sustenance over that period (assuming you're reasonably hydrated before you start).
3. I use gloves to help with blisters etc. In the past just std Nike drifit training gloves, but recently bought a pair of CrewStop paddlers. These are a bit weird and not quite as easy to put on, but much better in service - light, good feel, but still protective. The particular pair I bought were from a batch that there are issues with (silicon grips have come off very quickly) but Crewstop have been great to deal with and say they will send over a replacement pair when the new batch come in later in March.
4. Its rarely the wrong time to trial a 2k - unless you've just done one in the last week or four. Just do one and see how it goes - its been built up into some kind of bogey piece by much of the community, but its really just another 6/7/8/9/10 minute erg or whatever you can manage. You'll learn a lot whatever happens. Most people go off too fast the first time they do one and find it gets very hard even before half way. So what? Just carry on to the end and note your time. Its the first mark in the sand and something to build on. Looking at your stats I'd suggest setting off at something around 2:20.
Mike - 67 HWT 183

RayOfSunshine
6k Poster

Post by RayOfSunshine » February 24th, 2023, 3:04 pm

Christirei wrote:
February 24th, 2023, 1:23 pm

1. my butt gets numb. currently i have a blanket folded up on the seat, what else should i try? a friend suggested padded cycling shorts
2. how do you get water during longer workouts, when i would run i always carried a water bottle, but getting a drink now requires stopping...how do you guys handle that?
3. callouses on my fingers, is that normal? i do feel like i have a loose hold on the bar, but definitely getting callouses, no blisters though
4. i've been rowing for two months, when should i try my first 2K time trial? the thought of it seems overwhelming and i haven't tried it yet

Glad you're still going!

1) I've been using this for years
https://www.amazon.com/Hornet-Waterspor ... 01D10YY0C/
2) The furthest I've gone is a HM... No fluids for those
3) I do have some small callouses at the bend of my fingers... I'll take those over the blisters!!!
4) I wouldn't overthink the 2k. Think of it as another session. I'd start at a pace you think you can hold all the way through, then speed up a little along the way if you feel better.

Hope this helps.
Male, January 1971
Neptune Beach, FL
on way back to LWT

mict450
6k Poster

Post by mict450 » February 24th, 2023, 5:23 pm

I've posted on this before. Numb, painful butt? Yep, ditto! I'd suggest starting with the cheaper/cheapest options & work up by price. Perhaps a low cost option, like a the C2 pad, is all you need. Do a search on the forum. You'll have all the options you'd want if you need to investigate further.

Calluses are a normal part of erging. They do require a modicum of care to keep them manageable & not prone to tearing. If they bother you, then gloves of some sort would help.
Eric, YOB:1954
Old, slow & getting more so
Shasta County, CA, small town USA

Christirei
Paddler

Post by Christirei » February 24th, 2023, 5:50 pm

Thank you! i was just watching a Dark Horse Rowing video that mentioned the Hornet Watersports gel pad!! I'll definitely look into that one

I do have a pair of lifting gloves from way back when.... I'll try to find them and see if they make a difference

So you guys just don't drink anything while you row??? okay! I think i've spoiled myself from running, I'm just used to wetting my mouth every so often. I can keep at it though!

I did realize this morning that i need a sweatband, i got a big drop of sweat in my eye and had to let go to take care of that :)

I think the first 2K for me is just a mental thing. I didn't race for years while I was running. It's like I don't want to have a number down until I know I can be competitive. I rarely did time trials while running either. I just didn't want to know. and I wasn't a super fast runner either, but i was able to win my age group in smaller local 5K's. but i do have all of the knowledge of racing strategy, not going out to fast, pacing well, pushing at the end. I'm guessing the same applies to rowing as applies to running

RayOfSunshine
6k Poster

Post by RayOfSunshine » February 24th, 2023, 10:49 pm

Christirei wrote:
February 24th, 2023, 5:50 pm

I did realize this morning that i need a sweatband, i got a big drop of sweat in my eye and had to let go to take care of that :)

I think the first 2K for me is just a mental thing. I didn't race for years while I was running. It's like I don't want to have a number down until I know I can be competitive. I rarely did time trials while running either. I just didn't want to know. and I wasn't a super fast runner either, but i was able to win my age group in smaller local 5K's. but i do have all of the knowledge of racing strategy, not going out to fast, pacing well, pushing at the end. I'm guessing the same applies to rowing as applies to running
I started wearing a headband a few years ago.. recently, after starting on the SkiErg, I started wearing wrist bands as well.

As far as racing strategy goes, I love this video. Just watching this guy talk his way through a 6:30 2k at the end is pretty incredible.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j5_4upqhYeQ
Male, January 1971
Neptune Beach, FL
on way back to LWT

Dangerscouse
Marathon Poster

Post by Dangerscouse » February 25th, 2023, 3:31 am

Christirei wrote:

starting next week i won't be able to swim for a couple of months, so i am thinking i will be adding two more rowing days per week, so five times a week total. not sure how that should look. five sessions should i do two steady sessions like the above? two intervals sessions and try one longer session?? only one interval session? just not sure best strategy for overall improvement. also, still currently just using the workout of the day on the interval days and just doing whatever C2 says :)
Good to see you're still going.

1: my butt used to be an issue, but some of us lucky ones get used to it, and it doesn't ever bother me. I used to use a cut up yoga mat in a pillow case when I had to use one for really long distance.

2: I don't ever drink anything if it's less than 20 miles, and I sweat A LOT. I do drink a lot throughout every day though, so I'm always very hydrated.

3: Calluses are normal, and I still get occasional blisters. I'd recommend liquid chalk and sweatbands (head and wrists) to help out. I don't wear gloves, but they are used by others.

4: if a 2k feels overwhelming, you need to do it ASAP. That mental block will only get worse, and you need to try and relax into it rather than stressing about it.
50 HWT; 6' 4"; 1k= 3:09; 2k= 6:36; 5k= 17:19; 6k= 20:47; 10k= 35:46 30mins= 8,488m 60mins= 16,618m HM= 1:16.47; FM= 2:40:41; 50k= 3:16:09; 100k= 7:52:44; 12hrs = 153km

"You reap what you row"

Instagram: stuwenman

p_b82
5k Poster

Post by p_b82 » February 25th, 2023, 7:59 am

Christirei wrote:

1)
I have pain/nerve transference issues with the c2 seat, I found the c2 pad helped up to 1 hour sessions, and recently also bought a gel pad from crewroom that I've put under the C2 pad and "backwards" did 14k the other day, which was over an hour and there was a little discomfort but not the usual numbness and increasing pain. I tried them the other way round wi the gel on top the c2 pad, and the first couple rows things felt worse - but it could have been in my head...

I do wear rowing shorts too - the C2 ones - they have some extra seat padding, the cycling shorts for some folks don't have the padding in quite the right place for the erg seat - but others find them ok.

2) I try to avoid drinking for anything up to an hour, as it's annoying, but over that and on some days I need to wet my throat: I grab a drink one handed on the go rather than stopping.
Bit more difficult with an open glass than a waterbottle - but doable if you slow your rate a bit and row one armed.

3) Yup callouses are part of it, only have a couple, but they have formed.

4) Do the 2k when you feel like it; I prefer the longer slower stuff, so delayed mine by 6 months from starting - doing hard 5/6/10k (30min/60') and a gentle HM I found that the 2k was "easy" in comparison. Horrible while doing it as it needs the person to go anaerobic when all out, but so short it was mentally easy to get through for me.
The longer stuff had taught me however that I could work with a very high HR and keep at it, I think without that knowledge I'd have been a lot more tempted to abort or do a slow first attempt. (and going into the last 2k of a HM feels so much like the last tiny bit it helped my mindset in the shorter stuff)
M 6'4 born:'82
PB's
'23: 6k=25:23.5, HM=1:36:08.0, 60'=13,702m
'24: 500m=1:37.7, 2k=7:44.80, 5k=20:42.9, 10k=42:13.1, FM=3:18:35.4, 30'=7,132m
Logbook

Sakly
Half Marathon Poster

Post by Sakly » February 25th, 2023, 9:00 am

Christirei wrote:

You got already couple of answers, anyway - here is another one.

1: never had problems with the seat from the beginning. Even during/after my recent long rows for 2h+ not even a bit. So no tips for this from my side.
2: no drinking at all during rows. For the ~2h rows I was around 29 and 31k and both needed no fluids at all, but I take it similar to danger, I try to stay hydrated during the day.
3: since I am using thin leather pads (1-2mm), my calluses reduced much and I never got blisters at all. The pads can freely glide on the handle, so there is no friction between fingers and handle, which typically lead to calluses and blisters, especially combined with sweat. So wrist bands and a fan helping also much for this topic.
4: I went for my first 2k after 3 1/2 weeks to have a benchmark and see how I progress. Since then I only did two more, so not very frequently. If this is a mind blocking issue for you, you should attack one soon. Have no expectations, get a rough idea of a sustainable pace and go for it. You have nothing to loose.
Male - '80 - 82kg - 177cm - Start rowErg Jan 2022
1': 358m
4': 1217m
30'r20: 8068m
30': 8,283m
60': 16,222m
100m: 0:16.1
500m: 1:27.1
1k: 3:07.8
2k: 6:37.1
5k: 17:39.6
6k: 21:03.5
10k: 36:01.5
HM: 1:18:40.1
FM: 2:52:32.6
My log

Christirei
Paddler

Post by Christirei » February 25th, 2023, 2:08 pm

Ugh, so do a time trial sooner rather than later - got it. i'll try it this week. I hated racing 5k's, i just really don't enjoy hurting for that length of time :) i really enjoyed half marathons so much more, the longer sustained effort was much easier for me to bear rather than the short super fast stuff. i also avoided short fast intervals while running, i would prefer to do 1000/1200 intervals over lots of 400's. so, at least i know that about myself. the 2K just sounds like a very hard unpleasant 8-9 minutes! I also used to struggle with throwing up after racing :( and actually, i have noticed that i get a feeling towards the end of my interval sessions on the rower too. so that's something that always lurks in the back of my mind when it comes to pushing myself really hard

i was reading a thread on this forum from another newbie rower who was doing two 2k time trials a week!! i just can't even imagine

i did order the Hornet Watersport seat, so i hope that makes a difference for me. and I did find my old lifting gloves and i'm going to try them this week and see how they feel

Thank you all for the advice!

Dangerscouse
Marathon Poster

Post by Dangerscouse » February 25th, 2023, 3:37 pm

Christirei wrote:
February 25th, 2023, 2:08 pm
Ugh, so do a time trial sooner rather than later - got it. i'll try it this week. I hated racing 5k's, i just really don't enjoy hurting for that length of time :) i really enjoyed half marathons so much more, the longer sustained effort was much easier for me to bear rather than the short super fast stuff. i also avoided short fast intervals while running, i would prefer to do 1000/1200 intervals over lots of 400's. so, at least i know that about myself. the 2K just sounds like a very hard unpleasant 8-9 minutes!
I'm similar to you, and I naturally lean towards 5k as the shortest distance I'd like to fairly regularly do. What I have always found is changing your mindset is at least slightly helpful. Attacking your weaknesses, through a positive decision, can subtly change it all in your head. It will be tough to start with, but it will also be improving. Accept it will be hard, and do it anyway.
50 HWT; 6' 4"; 1k= 3:09; 2k= 6:36; 5k= 17:19; 6k= 20:47; 10k= 35:46 30mins= 8,488m 60mins= 16,618m HM= 1:16.47; FM= 2:40:41; 50k= 3:16:09; 100k= 7:52:44; 12hrs = 153km

"You reap what you row"

Instagram: stuwenman

Kerry1960
2k Poster

Post by Kerry1960 » February 25th, 2023, 4:06 pm

"I was reading a thread on this forum from another newbie rower who was doing two 2k time trials a week!! i just can't even imagine."

That was me and now realise it was totally the wrong thing to be doing thanks to good advice on this forum. Longer rows, shorter sprints (to build strength and speed) and some intervals are the way I go now and seeing good results. With a 2k TT every 9/10 days.

I can't deny it's been uncomfortable but it's getting less so as technique and confidence improve.

Good luck.
M64 6ft 2, 1.90m,14st 4lbs (200), 90 kg, NW England
First erg Jan 2023
PBs 500m 1:34.4, 1k 3:30.9, 2k 7:32.3
5k 20:09, 6k 24:30, 30m 7310m, 30r20 7133m