New Requirements For Ranking Pieces

read only section for reference and search purposes.
[old] whp4

General

Post by [old] whp4 » May 13th, 2005, 1:28 am

<!--QuoteBegin-seat5+May 13 2005, 03:30 AM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(seat5 @ May 13 2005, 03:30 AM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin--><!--QuoteBegin--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin-->Well, he did do a 3:14 marathon during the GMC, so it's plausible he could do 100k in a day if he put his mind to it. </td></tr></table><br /><br />I don't think a 3:14 marathon suggests any such thing....I did one in 3:07 something and there is no way I could ever in a million years if my life depended on it row 100K in a day. N_W! <br /> </td></tr></table><br /><br />I wasn't any faster than that for a marathon when I did my 100k piece - I'd done 2 marathons, one in 3:41 at the end of the 2004 season, and one in 3:15 in July last season, and later in that day in July I rowed some extra meters to make it an even 50k, which was my longest day ever prior to the 100k.<br /><br />I'm pretty sure that you could in fact row 100k in a day if you wanted to do it. But you'll really have to want to do it, because it gets pretty boring after about 5 hours. Pace it right, make sure you have something comfortable to sit on, and find some way to keep yourself from thinking about how many hours longer it is before you're done <br /><br />Bill

[old] ehagberg

General

Post by [old] ehagberg » May 13th, 2005, 4:46 am

<!--QuoteBegin-whp4+May 13 2005, 01:28 AM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(whp4 @ May 13 2005, 01:28 AM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin-->I'm pretty sure that you could in fact row 100k in a day if you wanted to do it.  But you'll really have to want to do it, because it gets pretty boring after about 5 hours.  Pace it right, make sure you have something comfortable to sit on, and find some way to keep yourself from thinking about how many hours longer it is before you're done <br /><br />Bill <br /> </td></tr></table><br />But it is really doubtful that this would be done on water, as he's stated he is doing it.<br /><br />His coach apparently told him he was rowing 100k a day on water, so it's not the kid's fault that he's been misled.<br />

[old] monkey

General

Post by [old] monkey » May 13th, 2005, 7:15 am

To get this thread back on track..<br /><br />C2, please could we have answers to the following questions re the new ranking rules<br /><br />How is it fair to disenfranchise potential top 3 rankers if they don't have access to a public machine (or erow/rowpro if that becomes acceptable)?<br />Remember this is a <u>world</u> ranking, some ergers live in very remote areas.<br /><br />How is it fair to expect those potential rankers to join a gym after spending money on their own machine in order to rank a top three time.<br /><br />Are we going to have different ranking rules for distances over 10k? Most gyms won't allow you to monopolise a erg for any longer.<br /><br />These new rules have taken away the spontaneity out of rowing top rankings, how do you justify that.<br /><br />And lastly, do you really believe you have made the ranking any more safer against bogus entries? I could get some friends together anytime to verify a false time if I was that way inclined and you couldn't phone every venue for verification (world ranking remember, there's a member of Old Wrecks that serves on an aircraft carrier who could quite possibly row a top three ranked time, you couldn't phone there!)<br /><br />These rankings are a motivational tool, they can't be anything else, bogus entries are usually pretty easy to spot. To try and make them more of a 'official' ranking with these measure just won't work.<br /><br />I think you should scrap these new rules and trust the erging community a liitle more.

[old] VickyPollard

General

Post by [old] VickyPollard » May 13th, 2005, 10:11 am

Yeah but no but yeah but no but I never got one anyway except I swapped it with Nadine for another Westlife CD and oh my god, I can't believe I did that coz they still rubbish and then I heard it was against the law but I didn't even do nuffin coz the baby ate it so there... whatever. Do I look bovered? I'm not bovered.

[old] dadams

General

Post by [old] dadams » May 13th, 2005, 10:56 am

<!--QuoteBegin-VickyPollard+May 13 2005, 09:11 AM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(VickyPollard @ May 13 2005, 09:11 AM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin-->Yeah but no but yeah but no but I never got one anyway except I swapped it with Nadine for another Westlife CD and oh my god, I can't believe I did that coz they still rubbish and then I heard it was against the law but I didn't even do nuffin coz the baby ate it so there... whatever.  Do I look bovered? I'm not bovered. <br /> </td></tr></table><br /><br />What? Eh? Gibberish? Anyone else understand this post?

[old] PaulS

General

Post by [old] PaulS » May 13th, 2005, 11:02 am

<!--QuoteBegin-dadams+May 13 2005, 06:56 AM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(dadams @ May 13 2005, 06:56 AM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin--><!--QuoteBegin-VickyPollard+May 13 2005, 09:11 AM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(VickyPollard @ May 13 2005, 09:11 AM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin-->Yeah but no but yeah but no but I never got one anyway except I swapped it with Nadine for another Westlife CD and oh my god, I can't believe I did that coz they still rubbish and then I heard it was against the law but I didn't even do nuffin coz the baby ate it so there... whatever.  Do I look bovered? I'm not bovered. <br /> </td></tr></table><br /><br />What? Eh? Gibberish? Anyone else understand this post? <br /> </td></tr></table><br /><br />Sure, like... Totally! Don't you?

[old] dadams

General

Post by [old] dadams » May 13th, 2005, 11:37 am

<!--QuoteBegin-VickyPollard+May 13 2005, 09:11 AM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(VickyPollard @ May 13 2005, 09:11 AM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin-->Yeah but no but yeah but no but I never got one anyway except I swapped it with Nadine for another Westlife CD and oh my god, I can't believe I did that coz they still rubbish and then I heard it was against the law but I didn't even do nuffin coz the baby ate it so there... whatever.  Do I look bovered? I'm not bovered. <br /> </td></tr></table><br /><br /><br />Vicky,<br />I want to apologize for my ignorance. I have been informed that this post is in reference to a sitcom character in the UK. Since I'm on the other side of the pond, I was unaware of this fact. Sorry if I offended. <br /><br />Dwayne

[old] John Rupp

General

Post by [old] John Rupp » May 13th, 2005, 1:33 pm

Hopefully that wasn't C2's final stand, on the matter in question.

[old] monkey

General

Post by [old] monkey » May 14th, 2005, 7:55 am

<!--QuoteBegin-John Rupp+May 13 2005, 06:33 PM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(John Rupp @ May 13 2005, 06:33 PM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin-->Hopefully that wasn't C2's final stand, on the matter in question.  <br /> </td></tr></table><br /><br />It would appear C2's final response is to not respond despite valid arguements against these new rules.<br /><br />Sadly I fear the rankings will be a less valid picture as some potential top three rankers will no longer be able have their times accepted for the reasons already given.<br /><br />

[old] VickyPollard

General

Post by [old] VickyPollard » May 14th, 2005, 9:16 am

<!--QuoteBegin--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin-->Sorry if I offended </td></tr></table><br />Yer But No But Yer But No But… Don't Be Giving Me Evils!

[old] seat5

General

Post by [old] seat5 » May 14th, 2005, 9:41 am

<!--QuoteBegin--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin-->will no longer be able have their times accepted for the reasons already given. </td></tr></table> <br /><br />I think they'll be listed, just without the magic "v". So people can see them, use them for motivation, etc., just like before. They can choose to believe them or not as they wish--just like before. <br /><br />Of course I still want the firmware solution.

[old] JaapR

General

Post by [old] JaapR » May 14th, 2005, 10:19 am

<!--QuoteBegin-seat5+May 14 2005, 08:41 AM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE(seat5 @ May 14 2005, 08:41 AM)</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin--><!--QuoteBegin--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin-->will no longer be able have their times accepted for the reasons already given. </td></tr></table><br /><br />I think they'll be listed, just without the magic "v". So people can see them, use them for motivation, etc., just like before. They can choose to believe them or not as they wish--just like before. <br /><br />Of course I still want the firmware solution. <br /> </td></tr></table><br /><br />This magic "v" solution is fine with me. I really appreciate the firmware thing Dave suggested, but this may not be a solution for the PM2(+) monitor? <br />If I make it to the top 3 times from 2005 I will enter the times without verification, although I have a gym at the corner. I'm not a member there anymore since I have my own C2 and will not pay for a training session I can better do at home.<br />For me, the rankings IND and IND_V will have exactly the same value. Although not confirmed by C2 (yet?) I already like to thank them for the possibility to enter top ranking times also without verification. Of course we don't need C2 to confirm. We just need someone who can row a 2005 top 3 time and rank it without verification. Carla? Dwayne? Andreas? Dean?<br /><br />Jaap<br /><br /><br />

[old] seat5

General

Post by [old] seat5 » May 14th, 2005, 10:37 am

<!--QuoteBegin--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><div class='genmed'><b>QUOTE</b></div></td></tr><tr><td class='quote'><!--QuoteEBegin--> We just need someone who can row a 2005 top 3 time and rank it without verification. Carla? Dwayne? Andreas? Dean? </td></tr></table> <br /><br />It'll have to wait a bit before I can do it. I just blew out my back by doing a bunch of 100m sprints evidently not with as good technique as I thought I was using. Might be back up to snuff in a month or so. Right now I'm in a back support belt and using ice.<br /><br />How about Mary P, Canoeist or Ranger? Cynthia Drewery rows in a club anyway so her top times are almost always witnessed.<br /><br />In any case, I don't think you actually have to join a club or pay for the time because c2Bill will find a place for you and make arrangements. I don't think you even have to call C2 evertime you want to do it, it's just like a sort of blanket arrangement with the club that any time you feel ready you can go in and do it. Of course it's still a schedule problem with me. I can't row in the morning 'cuz my back's not flexible enough so I end up rowing late at night to give dinner enough time to disappear, too. So it will definitely be a pain for me to do "v" rows. Then of course there are those who don't have a rower within 100 miles of them, I guess they are just out of luck, which stinks.

[old] Canoeist

General

Post by [old] Canoeist » May 14th, 2005, 11:47 am

I was wondering if this verification thing puts an end to the problem with using slides in the rankings. Has anyone anywhere seen an erg on slides in a public gym?<br /><br />I love my slides, but gym owners are afraid some musclehead will be catupulted out the door. <br /><br />Cheers,<br /><br />Paul Flack

[old] stevep

General

Post by [old] stevep » May 14th, 2005, 7:49 pm

Just ran across this policy and thread for the first time.<br /><br />Astonished to say the least.<br /><br />And, see that no where has C2 explained reasoning for this.<br /><br />But, then they can't. It is just broken.<br /><br />I've never been a top 3; have been in the top 50; and have as a goal to get to top 3 someday, maybe..... <br /><br />1) As far as I know there are no publicly accessible ergs anywhere. There are a lot of machines at Y's, health clubs, rowing clubs, etc. But these are public only in the loosest sense. You have to pay money to use them and in many cases must purchase a membership or be accompanied by a member.<br /><br />1a) Maybe up where the C2 folks live these place are conveniently located but really in many parts of the world nothing ruins a good row more then having to drive somewhere to get on the erg.<br /><br />2) Is this C2s method of getting us to be responsible for making club machines rowable. When traveling I've used a lot of machines at a lot of Y's anc clubs and most of these machines <b>have not been</b> in top time condition and many, frankly, are not even usable at anything more than, say, 130-140 watts.<br /><br />3) While I do plan my 2K PBs (maybe someday a top 10/3) many other PBs happen because, "Wow, I feel really good this morning. Instead of doing the 8X500 I'd planned I'm going to toss in a shot at a 1K PB", etc.<br /><br />Oh, and I disagree with the guy who says we must compete in public to be real athletes. BS. The rankings are just fine as competition. The only public competitions with much meaning are the ergomanias, etc., leading up to Crash-Bs which, yes, I do participate in but only at 2K.<br /><br />There is more. But this whole thing is just silly.<br />