Developing rate

General discussion on Training. How to get better on your erg, how to use your erg to get better at another sport, or anything else about improving your abilities.
GeorgeD
2k Poster

Post by GeorgeD » August 5th, 2006, 1:54 am

JimR wrote: I too find that I will pull harder not faster when tired in a workout if I don't pay attention.

JimR
Jim I absolutely do this in situations where I am doing a timed piece close to max pace, towards the end. There is often a deliberate strategy I emply that is part physical but more mental I think to try and conserve my energy till I push for the finish .... it is all crap of course and I am just playing games with myself in my head. Having said this tho, I am a firm believer that we each can only bring to the game what we have inside and if it works then it works.

George
48MHW

JimR
5k Poster

Post by JimR » August 5th, 2006, 7:01 am

GeorgeD wrote:I am a firm believer that we each can only bring to the game what we have inside and if it works then it works.

George
This is so true!!!

JimR

rurumon
Paddler

Post by rurumon » August 7th, 2006, 4:16 pm

George, you and I are in the same boat (har!). It seems like our times are pretty similar across the board as well, and I too suffer from an inability to get the rate up on longer pieces. It seems to me that higher than an r24 in my 10k is just going to leave me huffing and puffing rather than pulling harder.

For the short stuff, like the 8x500, r32 is easy as pie. I have trouble keeping r28 for 36 solid minutes, its killer.

I guess all we can do is keep practicing, I used to do my 10k at r20, so I guess it just takes time.
--Not setting the boat--